The Spikes’ Matt Curry, left, slides
safely back into second base ahead
of the tag from Renegades shortstop
Derek Dietrich during their game Sunday
at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. Curry
was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and
two runs scored in the 4-3 victory.

[SIZE=12pt]Centre Daily Times: Putting on a Show[/SIZE]

Curry also seems unfazed by his surroundings. He added another double in the eighth, and like he did in the seventh, Curry advancedto third on a wild pitch. While at third in the eighth, Curry had a difficult decision to make on Gerlis Rodriguez’s one-out line drive. Curry read the ball into left fielder Chris Winder’s glove and tagged to score the Spikes’ fourth run. ...

Limp Lizard

QUOTE(Opintel @ Jul 5 2010, 07:48 AM) [snapback]593204[/snapback]
The question always is: Can they hit Major League pitching?

Yup. :biggrin:

Acually the State College Spikes is a class A minor-league club, which (except for the number of games per week played) make them a lower class league than D-I college baseball, especially playoff/CWS baseball. If Curry keeps up the rampage he will find himself in 2A pretty quickly.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Limp Lizard @ Jul 5 2010, 08:40 AM) [snapback]593205[/snapback]
Acually the State College Spikes is a class A minor-league club, which (except for the number of games per week played) make them a lower class league than D-I college baseball, especially playoff/CWS baseball.

This line of thinking always amazes me. What are you basing this on?

Spike

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 5 2010, 02:26 PM) [snapback]593210[/snapback]
This line of thinking always amazes me. What are you basing this on?

How would D1 baseball compare to A,AA,AAA? Also how would the Cats compare?

I've only vaguely followed the Cats but I remember one Horned Frog (Ryan Weems) was one of their studs. Steven Trout was a Cat briefly, and had a higher batting average than anyone on either team.

I've seen Wesleyan play against Grand Prairie and get killed. I did not think there would be that much disparity in talent, but there was. In my college days Wesleyan could split a double header with TCU, obviously we have upgraded our program since.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Spike @ Jul 5 2010, 11:25 AM) [snapback]593225[/snapback]
How would D1 baseball compare to A,AA,AAA? Also how would the Cats compare?

I'll use the 2010 TCU team as my college example and base the results on the typical 144 game minor schedule.

TCU vs AAA - 10 wins 134 losses (at best)
TCU vs AA - 20 wins 124 losses
TCU vs A - 35 wins 99 losses
TCU vs advanced rookie ball (the level Curry is at) - 60 wins 84 losses (perhaps a little better)
TCU vs rookie ball (mostly 18-19 yr old Latin kids) - 84 wins 60 losses (perhaps a little better)

Our hitters would be very overmatched on most nights at the AAA and AA level, would struggle with a few exceptions at the A level, and would be very competetive at the rookie and advanced rookie level. The results would be the same for the pitching with the exception of the days that Purke pitched, and he would struggle at the higher levels as well but there would be times when he would be good.

The Cats are roughly the equivalent of an older A ball team.

All just my opinion.

FROGDADDY

A mediocre college team, Texas State for example might not win a game against a AAA or AA schedule and would do well to get to 10 wins against an A schedule. Most of the success that TCU would have against those teams is based on one pitcher.

Spike

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 5 2010, 04:53 PM) [snapback]593231[/snapback]
I'll use the 2010 TCU team as my college example and base the results on the typical 144 game minor schedule.

TCU vs AAA - 10 wins 134 losses (at best)
TCU vs AA - 20 wins 124 losses
TCU vs A - 35 wins 99 losses
TCU vs advanced rookie ball (the level Curry is at) - 60 wins 84 losses (perhaps a little better)
TCU vs rookie ball (mostly 18-19 yr old Latin kids) - 84 wins 60 losses (perhaps a little better)

Our hitters would be very overmatched on most nights at the AAA and AA level, would struggle with a few exceptions at the A level, and would be very competetive at the rookie and advanced rookie level. The results would be the same for the pitching with the exception of the days that Purke pitched, and he would struggle at the higher levels as well but there would be times when he would be good.

The Cats are roughly the equivalent of an older A ball team.

All just my opinion.

Thanks!

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(MTfrog5 @ Jul 5 2010, 12:38 PM) [snapback]593256[/snapback]
The use of wooden bats makes it a difficult for some players too.

More diffiult for ALL players, impossible for some.

Spike

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 5 2010, 05:44 PM) [snapback]593258[/snapback]
More diffiult for ALL players, impossible for some.

The night Wesleyan played the GP Airhogs they used wooden bats. The Rams broke 2 bats.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Spike @ Jul 5 2010, 02:39 PM) [snapback]593271[/snapback]
The night Wesleyan played the GP Airhogs they used wooden bats. The Rams broke 2 bats.

Guys that are mediocre hitters can swing an aluminum bat with success. Give them a wood bat and it's time to hang up the spikes.

Frogo

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 5 2010, 03:45 PM) [snapback]593298[/snapback]
Guys that are mediocre hitters can swing an aluminum bat with success. Give them a wood bat and it's time to hang up the spikes.

Glad to see Curry making the transition to wood in style.

Sangria Wine

QUOTE(Limp Lizard @ Jul 5 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]593205[/snapback]
Acually the State College Spikes is a class A minor-league club, which (except for the number of games per week played) make them a lower class league than D-I college baseball, especially playoff/CWS baseball. If Curry keeps up the rampage he will find himself in 2A pretty quickly.

You can't be serious can you? :blink:

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Opintel @ Jul 5 2010, 07:48 AM) [snapback]593204[/snapback]
The question always is: Can they hit Major League pitching?
Yup. :biggrin:

Huh?

tetonfrog

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:47 PM) [snapback]593377[/snapback]
Huh?

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I agree with you. Curry is off to a strong start, but he has a long way to go. Wish him the best, but I have one question. How did he do against Strasburg? That guy is lighting it up right now. Did he shut us out? It is great that Curry is off to a strong start, but let's check back with him in a month or two. I hope we hear nothing but good news.

That grand slam against FSU has to be one of the bet TCU baseball highlights ever. Hope he can do in the bigs, meat.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(tetonfrog @ Jul 6 2010, 01:59 AM) [snapback]593390[/snapback]
I don't want to be pessimistic, but I agree with you. Curry is off to a strong start, but he has a long way to go. Wish him the best, but I have one question. How did he do against Strasburg? That guy is lighting it up right now. Did he shut us out? It is great that Curry is off to a strong start, but let's check back with him in a month or two. I hope we hear nothing but good news.

That grand slam against FSU has to be one of the bet TCU baseball highlights ever. Hope he can do in the bigs, meat.

I was just questioning the hitting major league pitching comment. He hasn't faced a major league pitcher yet as a professional, unless someone is rehabbing in rookie league. Which is doubtful.