• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie to tech?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
He owes a lot to GP IMO. Very few people would take a guy without a ick of experience, make him an OC, and pay him 900K a year. In fact its shocking actually.
He was co-offensive coordinator for Tech before coming to TCU. He got the big contract and raise in 2016, after turning down the UT job and proving himself here in the years prior.

Eight

He was co-offensive coordinator for Tech before coming to TCU. He got the big contract and raise in 2016, after turning down the UT job and proving himself here in the years prior.

part of that second contract was made to keep him from taking the job at texas.

interesting the way things played out with doug leaving, him staying and getting control and the raise, and now he is the one leaving after doug came back from the disaster in kansas.

not thrilled by some of this, but i agree with many that i don't see sonny staying as something that is in the best interest of his career nor beneficial to the frogs offense

not sure though how the marriage of kill's run the ball mentality and meacham integrate going forward

CountryFrog

Has Max really developed? He’s a gamer for sure and by himself has kept us in a couple of games but after two years, he still can’t throw really well.
Max is absolutely a better player this year than he was last. I don't know how anyone can watch him play and not think he's a better player than what we saw in 2019. We can debate all day HOW MUCH better he is and how much of the improvement should be credited to Sonny or Max himself. But he's a better player.

I actually think the bigger indictment of Cumbie and everyone involved in recruiting and developing QB's is the fact that Max clearly wasn't ready to go from Iowa HS football to the Big 12 last year as a true freshman (which is no knock on him) and yet was still far and away the best QB option on the roster. Some of that can be attributed to injuries to Rogers and Baldwin but it mostly speaks to a long line of recruiting and development failures before 2019.

Realistically, 2019 should've been a redshirt year for Max. He got shoved onto the field before he was ready and that's what led to a lot of what we saw last year. If what we were getting this year from Max was the first we'd ever seen of him then I think everyone would be excited as hell about his future. And I'm sure many people are excited about his future anyway. They certainly should be imo.

Not a Cumbie supporter or detractor....Yep, something had to be done to increase productivity....Yep, he apparently was a good recruiter...Yep, it's natural he would want to go to his alma mater....BUT before you detractors start singing (ala Wizard of Oz) "hooray, Sonny Cumbie's gone," remember, as a Tech QB he dropped 70 on the Frogs in 2004 (5-6 year for TCU)....His surfacing at Tech now does not automatically equate to never-ending success against Tech in the future....
He's going to play QB for Tech?

back_in_black

Moderators
First part is where I'm at as well. He may well be an outstanding OC for someone. Working under GP at TCU he was a very mediocre OC and I don't think that was ever gonna change.

I also don’t buy into the idea that GP was holding him back. The play calling was reminiscent of Mike Schultz where part of the game you felt good about what you were seeing then came the sweeps inside the 5 yard line. The best he did was early 2017 when we seemed to have a great balance and a Briles like offense going for a few weeks. Then came the injury to Patrick Morris and it that all changed. 2018 Robinson literally gave the win to Ohio State with his turnovers. He showed glimpses in that game but got worse as the season progressed. I’m sure he convinced Tech that he didn’t have the players he needed or the support from the HC. Nothing else would explain firing an OC who’s offense was ranked higher than the guy you are replacing him with.

One of the Tech sites had an article a few days ago about who Tech could go after to replace David Yost.

https://wreckemred.com/2020/12/09/ten-coaches-texas-tech-could-target-to-replace-david-yost/

PO Frog

part of that second contract was made to keep him from taking the job at texas.

interesting the way things played out with doug leaving, him staying and getting control and the raise, and now he is the one leaving after doug came back from the disaster in kansas.

not thrilled by some of this, but i agree with many that i don't see sonny staying as something that is in the best interest of his career nor beneficial to the frogs offense

not sure though how the marriage of kill's run the ball mentality and meacham integrate going forward
GP has never really been held accountable for the awful decision to hand SC play calling duties. That caused Meach to leave, and as it turns out, he was the straw that stirred to drink for our offense (along with TB and Doc). I firmly believe that GP envisioned SC as his successor so he felt like he had to keep him in the fold, but he was disastrously wrong in thinking Cumbie would be capable of continuing what had started. It basically cost him at least 3 wasted seasons.

Eight

Max is absolutely a better player this year than he was last. I don't know how anyone can watch him play and not think he's a better player than what we saw in 2019. We can debate all day HOW MUCH better he is and how much of the improvement should be credited to Sonny or Max himself. But he's a better player.

I actually think the bigger indictment of Cumbie and everyone involved in recruiting and developing QB's is the fact that Max clearly wasn't ready to go from Iowa HS football to the Big 12 last year as a true freshman (which is no knock on him) and yet was still far and away the best QB option on the roster. Some of that can be attributed to injuries to Rogers and Baldwin but it mostly speaks to a long line of recruiting and development failures before 2019.

Realistically, 2019 should've been a redshirt year for Max. He got shoved onto the field before he was ready and that's what led to a lot of what we saw last year. If what we were getting this year from Max was the first we'd ever seen of him then I think everyone would be excited as hell about his future. And I'm sure many people are excited about his future anyway. They certainly should be imo.

went back and looked at when sonny was hired, which quarterbacks he actually sought out, and then the rosters in 2015-19 and i think it goes a long way to addressing your second paragraph

sonny was hired at tcu on dec 2013 and foster and grayson both were committed for several months prior to his hire. the frogs . he inherited from the 2013 roster boykin, zach allen, and tyler matthews.

matthews transferred out and the frogs in the 2014 offseason added foster, grayson and bram.

here are the next four years of quarterback signings

2015 -no quarterback signed
2016- brennen wooten
2017- shawn robinson
2018 - justin rogers

the frogs did add kenny hill as a transfer in 2015, but when you go back and look at that 4 year string it really does reinforce your second paragraph missing on recruits is going to happen, but what happened in 2015 and 2016 really set back their depth at the position and that was made significantly worse with shawn's implosion and then rogers.

CountryFrog

went back and looked at when sonny was hired, which quarterbacks he actually sought out, and then the rosters in 2015-19 and i think it goes a long way to addressing your second paragraph

sonny was hired at tcu on dec 2013 and foster and grayson both were committed for several months prior to his hire. the frogs . he inherited from the 2013 roster boykin, zach allen, and tyler matthews.

matthews transferred out and the frogs in the 2014 offseason added foster, grayson and bram.

here are the next four years of quarterback signings

2015 -no quarterback signed
2016- brennen wooten
2017- shawn robinson
2018 - justin rogers

the frogs did add kenny hill as a transfer in 2015, but when you go back and look at that 4 year string it really does reinforce your second paragraph missing on recruits is going to happen, but what happened in 2015 and 2016 really set back their depth at the position and that was made significantly worse with shawn's implosion and then rogers.
And of course missing on recruits is one thing. But you can't have this track record above AND a mostly anemic offense on the field throughout your time as OC.

Of course one can lead to the other.

Putt4Purple

So to those in the know, who would or could be the new OC outside the current coaching staff? Any established or young talented OC's of interest nationally?

Moose Stuff

So to those in the know, who would or could be the new OC outside the current coaching staff? Any established or young talented OC's of interest nationally?

Meach is ALREADY the OC. I'm about 99% certain we aren't bringing in another OC unless Meach also leaves. Now if you want to target a hotshot QB coach that would be different. I also don't see that happening, but It seems more possible than the OC thing.

Mean Purple

Think so?

6-4 in the Covid 2020 year with a new Oline, weekly changes, and a Freshman/Sophmore team!

I'll admit being frustrated at times when we were throwing the ball late in the game while leading instead of running it.

But overall I thought this year turned out better than expect all things considered.

Oh well, thanks Sonnie.

BTW, didn't Cumbie recruit well for us?
yep. once the oline started to gel, the season was a different story.

Froggish

He did not perform well here and never called plays before 2017. We were stupid for countering that UT offer.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Bo Pelini is available. (/Monstrous sarcasm...)

There has got to be a fellow out there who has developed QB talent, and has shown the ability to effectively instruct players on basic fundamentals and reliability. Doesn't need to be an Air Raid disciple, but someone who has demonstrated an agility of mind to be able to see what works and execute it.

Punter1 had a good list of talent earlier this season. Hopefully that list (or one very much like it) is being perused right now...

Moose Stuff

He did not perform well here and never called plays before 2017. We were stupid for countering that UT offer.

It may well have been stupid in hindsight, but there wasn't ONE poster on this board who thought Cumbie going to UT was anything beyond an absolute disaster at the time. Had we failed to aggressively counter that offer it would have been an absolute nuclear meltdown on here.

CountryFrog

It may well have been stupid in hindsight, but there wasn't ONE poster on this board who thought Cumbie going to UT was anything beyond an absolute disaster at the time. Had we failed to aggressively counter that offer it would have been an absolute nuclear meltdown on here.
That's true. But we also think it's an absolute disaster every single time that Max throws an incomplete pass, or RJ Nembhard has a turnover, or the baseball team fails to properly defend a bunt. All of those things lead to meltdowns.

So it's a really low bar that we're talking about here.

Froggish

True