• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie to tech?

Not taking a side, but it’s unclear to me why such an emphasis on HS recruit to top level b12 QB. Is Lincoln aware that this is the standard by which he should be judged? Two Heisman candidates that we didn’t recruit from HS but became elite QBs would be fine by me at TCU.
It would be fine by me too but how many schools are able to get two guys to transfer in that can do that (along with another one and done who is an NFL starter as a rookie? Not many. Most schools have to or choose to develop their QB's. Riley has a track record with QB's that allowed him to do that but I don't think it is something most schools can count on.

Moose Stuff

Because he isn’t very qualified? We need a new offensive coordinator who knows how to get the best out of a QB.

Meach was our play calling OC all year and Gary isn't firing him. I won't be at all surprised if Gary elevates Kenny Hill to work with the QBs. His hiring track record says it's a distinct possibility. He's already heavily involved in our QB recruiting and spent a ton of time with Max on the sideline this year.

CountryFrog

I certainly never had any association with his injury even remotely as a thought. As you said, it was a freak injury. The word on Rogers all last season was that he was healthy but held the ball too long and had difficulty reading defenses and, as a result fell behind Downing on the depth chart. Downing was never going to be a P5 quality QB. Period. Rogers might be, but for whatever reason, Cumbie could not get him to a point where the coaches were comfortable with him on the field and he subsequently transferred to UNLV which is just a factual statement.
Fair enough. It's certainly a factual statement. There are obviously plenty of examples of QB issues regardless of the Rogers situation.

I'm not the kid's doctor so I obviously can't speak with certainty but it SEEMS like that injury just totally derailed his career much more than anything any coach ever did. Maybe he wouldn't have been good anyway or maybe he would've won the Heisman. Who knows.

w00t frog

He's already been acting somewhat in that capacity for a few years, and no one is impressed with the results.

We have a chance to start with a clean slate.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I assume you have a certain amount of say as a QB coach that you don’t have as a grad assistant? Not sure how that may or may not impact QB development. Also it goes back to the point that Gary isn’t firing Meach.

JockO de Frog

I believe he was moved to RB his Freshman year ('12) right before Pachall's incident, and was moved back to QB the Friday before the Iowa State game, and was the QB the rest of the season. When Pachall came back to be the starter the following year ('13), he was moved to WR because he was too athletic to keep off of the field. When Pachall broke his wrist, Boykin became the starting QB again.

Timeline may be a little fuzzy, but that's what happened. It was split about 50/50 on who thought he would make a good college QB, so I wouldn't say no one here or on staff believed he would never be a QB.

Boykins success was due to the installation of a system that highlighted his strengths, not Cumbie. If Cumbie was such a great QB guru, why all of the bad QB play after Boykin? Don't bring Hill into this. Again, Dykes came in and built the offense around what Hill did best.
I think your recollection is fairly accurate. No one would deny that Boykin was athletic. But my point is that he was very questionable as a quarterback and Cumbie could have been a major factor in his development to 2014 in the new system. So to say he never developed a quarterback I think would be wrong.
However, the Shawn Robinson, Alex Delton, Mike Collins decisions are still a head scratcher. I thought Collins if given the same chance that Delton had, would have worked out extremely well. I wonder if we'll ever know if that was more on CGP's promises to Delton rather than Cumbie's decision.

Rose Bowl

I wish Sonny the best but I don’t think it’s a huge loss. I ran into him a few times and he was always extremely nice but it’s not a loss we can’t overcome.

Heard from a friend that Tim Beck might be in play as the qb coach. I wouldn’t endorse this move but I could see CGP doing this.

Fair enough. It's certainly a factual statement. There are obviously plenty of examples of QB issues regardless of the Rogers situation.

I'm not the kid's doctor so I obviously can't speak with certainty but it SEEMS like that injury just totally detailed his career much more than anything any coach ever did. Maybe he wouldn't have been good anyway or maybe he would've won the Heisman. Who knows.
I think it is 100% more likely that his injury set him back more than anything a coach did to him. I don't think Cumbie did anything to him but was just pointing out what he didn't do which was to be able to get him on the field during a season where he was supposedly healthy and there were less than ideal circumstances at QB. He still may turn out to be a good college QB.

Moose Stuff

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I assume you have a certain amount of say as a QB coach that you don’t have as a grad assistant? Not sure how that may or may not impact QB development. Also it goes back to the point that Gary isn’t firing Meach.

Kenny isn't a grad assistant. He's a paid analyst.

Moose Stuff

I wish Sonny the best but I don’t think it’s a huge loss. I ran into him a few times and he was always extremely nice but it’s not a loss we can’t overcome.

Heard from a friend that Tim Beck might be in play as the qb coach. I wouldn’t endorse this move but I could see CGP doing this.

Don't like that at all from a recruiting perspective. Just promote Kenny if you're gonna do that.

Atomic Frawg

287 is a more scenic drive. Up to Wichita Falls, across to Lubbock.
I always took 20 when going back and forth to Fort Worth from law school, four-hour drive. Took 287 one day on a whim. While riding with the windows down somewhere between Seymour and Lubbock a huge hornet flew into my '73 VW Beetle. I stayed on the gas so the air would force it to stay in the rear of the vehicle. Haven't been that way since.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Meach was our play calling OC all year and Gary isn't firing him. I won't be at all surprised if Gary elevates Kenny Hill to work with the QBs. His hiring track record says it's a distinct possibility. He's already heavily involved in our QB recruiting and spent a ton of time with Max on the sideline this year.
Patterson said Cumbie was they play caller in two post game radio interviews this year. Also said Max had no shoulder issues.

Mean Purple

Put together a million bucks a year and go get a great OC. Heck, I bet Malzahn would do it for that or little more. And he is a great OC. Not a great HC, but great OC. And if Patterson wants to run first, Gus likes that. Too much talent out there not to be on the hunt. (One would at least hope Patterson keeps a list.)