• The KillerFrogs

Cowherd was right

JimSwinkLives!

Lyles had a price list basically, X$s just for access, XX$s for a visit, etc. Funny a lot of this was discussed during Seastrunk's recruiting especially when Auburn was hitting him hard. Some loose cannon coaches out there and NCAA really sinking their heads deeper in the sand as everyone watches and complains but little enforcement.

Feisty,

What's your opinion on Randy Rodgers' scouting service?

AUFrog

If they prove that Lyles gave any of that money to Seastrunk or James, then there's a problem. Good luck with that -- he paid them cash, if anything.

The NCAA needs to outlaw outside recruiters. This loophole is way too convenient.
Alabama got in huge trouble over the Albert Means situation (they paid 6 figures to his former high school coach) yet Albert, and his very poor family, didn't receive a penny. I would think if the NCAA would punish Alabama, they would certainly punish UO if they can prove anything.

Mike Brooks

I dont think this would hve come up if there werent serious implications for Oregon. I can understand paying a hefty price for a subscription / scout service. However, when there is basically an a la cart price list for athletes that are already Nationally ranked with tons of top tier offers, the reek is pretty strong. This story is just beginning to roll. Right now it is just circumstantial that some money was passed along (ie, LeMichael could have gone just about anywhere. He could have simply called UO and got an offer without visiting).

This isnt going away and I think a number of schools will get swept up in the investigation. Look for a number of these agents to start squealing to avoid serious charges. JMHO.

frogbyproxy

I understand what you're saying, but I think coaching staffs really value the time and resources that legitimate scouting/recruiting services save them. In this paticular case, if the allegations are true, then what Oregon paid for was not a legitimate scouting service, but influence.

Just as a point of reference, here is the applicable NCAA bylaw:

Bylaw 13.14.3 - Recruiting or Scouting Services
An institution may subscribe to a recruiting or scouting service involving prospective student-athletes, provided the institution does not purchase more than one annual subscription to a particular service and the service: (Adopted: 1/1/02, Revised: 1/16/10)

(a) Is made available to all institutions desiring to subscribe and at the same fee rate for all subscribers;

(b) Publicly identifies all applicable rates;

© Disseminates information (e.g., reports, profiles) about prospective student-athletes at least four times per calendar year;

(d) Publicly identifies the geographical scope of the service (e.g., local, regional, national) and reflects broad-based coverage of the geographical area in the information it disseminates;

(e) Provides individual analysis beyond demographic information or rankings for each prospective student-athlete in the information it disseminates; (Revised: 4/13/10)

(f) Provides access to samples or previews of the information it disseminates before purchase of a subscription; and

(g) Provides video that is restricted to regularly scheduled (regular-season) high school, preparatory school or two-year college contests and for which the institution made no prior arrangements for recording. (Note: This provision is applicable only if the subscription includes video services.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6179423
OK now I am seeing the light! Original payment to him was $25,000 and the following year was a little more than $3,000. Plus different agencies recieved different payments. Yep they are screwed!
(a) Is made available to all institutions desiring to subscribe and at the same fee rate for all subscribers;

Next up after release of evidence from the FBI is Auburn! Both of which played for the National Championship set up by the BCS. Which is about to lose tax exemptions. :tongue:

West Coast Johnny

So if both Oregon & Auburn go down, that would mean Wisconsin Vs TCU in a hypothetical championship game. I suppose the talking heads on TV would appoint Wisconsin national champions because there is no way TCU could hang with that offensive line in a championship game.

frogbyproxy

I have a friend who is an FBI agent, and although he's not directly involved in it he says that investigation could run much deeper than just Auburn.

Go Frogs!

LMAO! I just moved back last year and my office was at Ft. Belvoir then moved to Quantico the last six months. I have a few of the same type of friends. So I plea the fifth! :biggrin:

Limp Lizard

It all depends on how much longer David Berst is at the NCAA. If Oregon and Auburn pay him what he asks, they suddenly drop the investigation, a la a$m in the 80's. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

In the same time period Berst:
1. Gave the death penalty to SMU.
2. Gave the living death penalty to TCU, after TCU had self-reported, and drove the NCAA reps to meeting with responsible individuals in TCU-owned vehicles.
3. Gave a big penalty to Houston, long after the offending coaches were gone.

Clean up your own act first, NCAA!

frogbyproxy

It all depends on how much longer David Berst is at the NCAA. If Oregon and Auburn pay him what he asks, they suddenly drop the investigation, a la a$m in the 80's. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

In the same time period Berst:
1. Gave the death penalty to SMU.
2. Gave the living death penalty to TCU, after TCU had self-reported, and drove the NCAA reps to meeting with responsible individuals in TCU-owned vehicles.
3. Gave a big penalty to Houston, long after the offending coaches were gone.

Clean up your own act first, NCAA!

Have to admit that part of the NCAA has been very lazy but they have a fairly new vp of enforcement and is female. First ever from my reading which is fantastic. The woman on a mission is always best. :biggrin: VP Julie Roe Lach. Just in time for all of this to hit the fan! You might note that she started in October and you have heard the rumbling from one side of the nation to the other since. :tongue: