• The KillerFrogs

Cotton Bowl

zfrawg

With the continued success of TCU and growing support locally, is there any chance the Cotton Bowl gives a TCU exception?

In the past I've always thought no, but perhaps the sustained growth of the program gives enough cred to warrant consideration. I know all the tie-ins and so on but exceptions can and have been made before for some bowls. I wonder if one might be made at the next round of negotiations.

stell91

Could happen. There's no possible way TCU could outdraw horn or aggy but I think we could outdraw anyone else in the Big12 (except maybe OU). TCU played in the very first Cotton Bowl and TCU is very interwoven into the history of the Cotton Bowl. I think it would be a good decision, if it could somehow be worked out.

The Cotton Bowl is high enough on the pecking order for the Big 12 and SEC that is hard to imagine that they would be unable to provide teams. But if the Big 12 folds..................?

tcumaniac

why the hell are we talking about the possibility of playing in the cotton bowl? ... leave that to amateurs like the texas a&m faggies...

we play in BCS bowls.. you know... like the rose bowl... then we win them

Metropolis777

I don't think we'd ever get a deal to play in the Cotton Bowl or even Alamo Bowl. But, I'm sure we could get an exception to play in the Texas Bowl like we had in the past. The nice thing is that the Texas Bowl has moved up in stature since we last played in it. Gone are the days of $500K payouts and games played on NFL Network vs. CUSA. The Texas Bowl with its ESPN post Christmas date, $1.5 million payout and Big 12(-2) or Big Ten(12) opponent would be much better than playing an ACC alsoran in the Meineke Car Care Bowl and possibly better than playing in the Champs Sports Bowl.

PurplePutt

With many of the Bowls hurting for attendance and ratings, something needs to change. Tie-ins are part of the problem. LSU and A&M worked because of how big the schools were and the proximity of the game. But many of the games just end up with terrible match-ups because of the tie ins.

If you ran the bowls like a free market (imagine that), the payouts and participants would not be predetermined. Let them negotiate. The bowls that payed the most money and offered the best packages would be able to attract the best match-ups. Sure some would fail. There are too many anyway.

Another way would be to line up the bowls from top to bottom from highest payout to lowest. Line up the teams remaining (after the BCS bowl selections) in order of highest to lowest ranking and match them up.

If the Cotton Bowl was the highest paying bowl outside of BCS bowls then this year #9 Michigan State would be playing #10 Boise State. What ever the next highest paying bowl game was would host #11 LSU and #12 Missouri, etc., etc.

FROGDADDY

Could happen. There's no possible way TCU could outdraw horn or aggy but I think we could outdraw anyone else in the Big12 (except maybe OU). TCU played in the very first Cotton Bowl and TCU is very interwoven into the history of the Cotton Bowl. I think it would be a good decision, if it could somehow be worked out.

I've been saying this for years. Almost every year the Cotton ends up with a really good match-up like LSU/A&M or Ark/UT so it's hard to see us ever sneaking in but it sure would be nice to know the chance exists.

FROGDADDY

why the hell are we talking about the possibility of playing in the cotton bowl? ... leave that to amateurs like the texas a&m faggies...

It's going to be very interesting to me to see how the younger generation of TCU fans that has almost never experienced failure/mediocrity reacts when we have the inevitable down year.

macaroni

It's going to be very interesting to me to see how the younger generation of TCU fans that has almost never experienced failure/mediocrity reacts when we have the inevitable down year.

This is why the Big East invite was so crucial. In our current set-up it feels like the entire season is over after one loss, so the more casual fans would inevitably drift away. In the Big East we can still be fighting for a BCS berth very late in the season, and our place at the table is secure (with payout) even in the event of serious downtime.

FROGDADDY

This is why the Big East invite was so crucial. In our current set-up it feels like the entire season is over after one loss, so the more casual fans would inevitably drift away. In the Big East we can still be fighting for a BCS berth very late in the season, and our place at the table is secure (with payout) even in the event of serious downtime.

Also important is the secondary bowls that are available. Granted they aren't great, but I'd much rather be playing Kentucky today like Pitt will than playing Fresno like BYU did.

watchfrog

The people who grew up after the end of the SWC certainly don't hold the same desire for the Cotton Bowl. It was the end all & be all for old timers, but for the next generations, it's no better than any other non-BCS bowl like the Texas Bowl. Sure you have Jerry World, but we already played there this season and it's no fun to stay in the metroplex for a bowl game.

West Coast Johnny

If the Cotton bowl wants to see good teams win and lose with class than TCU should get a chance. I watched the 4th quarter of the cotton yesterday and there was more trash talking, chest beating, pelvic thrusting, cheap shots, fights, and poor sportsmenship going around than at a Baylor game.

pcf

Also important is the secondary bowls that are available. Granted they aren't great, but I'd much rather be playing Kentucky today like Pitt will than playing Fresno like BYU did.

Many people were knocking the Pinstripe Bowl, but I think it is kinda cool.

Metropolis777

It's not just the opponents in the Big East secondary bowls. It's the dates and locations. Right now our best fallback in the MWC is probably Shreveport and the Independence Bowl. In 2012, we get the Champs Sports in Orlando (vs. ACC #3), the Charlott Bowl (vs. ACC #5). Don't forget there's also a guaranteed appearance for the Big East in the Liberty Bowl vs. the SEC through 2013.

KingmanIII

The Cotton Bowl is for teams that are not the best in Texas...
The Cotton Bowl may very well attain BCS status after the current contract is up (and should have been included when it was signed).

What cost it major bowl billing in the first place was playing it in that beater in Fair Park.

michaelperrytcu

Am I the only one that likes the tradition of the actual Cotton Bowl stadium? I wish they'd renovate and keep the Red River Shootout and the bowl game there. Jerry World is just too sterile for me.

tcumike08

Am I the only one that likes the tradition of the actual Cotton Bowl stadium? I wish they'd renovate and keep the Red River Shootout and the bowl game there. Jerry World is just too sterile for me.

I agree. Watching the Cotton Bowl last night on Jan 7th as opposed to New Years Day, and in Jerry World as opposed to the actual Cotton Bowl Stadium felt weird to me.