• The KillerFrogs

Congrats ...

BleedNPurple

Not sure why that's necessary. I don't mean to disrespect your team or program. You are obviously far ahead of Pitt in hoops and football. I just visited here wondering what you guys were saying about your huge win today and was quite surprised how little chatter there was about it.
You’re fine brother no worries and thanks for the kudos. That was a great game. I got text messages from customers all over the country this afternoon- folks I never knew that watched basketball. My 90 year old mom was glued to the tv rooting for the Frogs of course.

We have the toughest rest of the season in the country!

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Not sure why that's necessary. I don't mean to disrespect your team or program. You are obviously far ahead of Pitt in hoops and football. I just visited here wondering what you guys were saying about your huge win today and was quite surprised how little chatter there was about it.
Lol you’ve made that fairly clear.

Serious question: What differences if any do you see in Dixon’s in game coaching here as compared to his time with y’all?

BleedNPurple

I expected you guys to lose to WVU in Morgantown. WVU is a really good team and beat the heck out of us at our place. They would probably be in the top 5-6 in the ACC. Winning on the road in the NCAA, especially in the Big 12, is always tough. You guys have a pretty great team, but there just doesn't seem to be too much interest here.
Coach JD was talking before the game about how every dang team in the conference is good- there’s no gimme’s.

Horned Toad

Lol you’ve made that fairly clear.

Serious question: What differences if any do you see in Dixon’s in game coaching here as compared to his time with y’all?
From my perspective he’s letting the guys run and has changed his whole offensive philosophy from Pitt and when he first got here. He’s always seemed to run a good defense and the guys definitely have bought into both sides of the game.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
From my perspective he’s letting the guys run and has changed his whole offensive philosophy from Pitt and when he first got here. He’s always seemed to run a good defense and the guys definitely have bought into both sides of the game.
Agreed. And I think it’s actually remarkable because I imagine that is an extremely difficult thing for any coach to do

Eight

This ties the record as the largest margin of loss for the #2 ranked AP team -- EVER. Just seems to me you guys would be much more excited about this than you are.

maybe we know that in this conference as big as a single win, might be, it is a single win, and that to say the schedule will finally get a bit easier is when the frogs get in the ncaa tournament, seriously

great win, really is, but we have already seen three times in the past month that this coin has two sides if frogs aren't on point

Pitt Friend

There are some certain differences.

First, he never made it a pure game plan to run the way you guys do. Dixon would never let guys release on the break before the defensive glass was cleared. But seeing how players like Coles get down the court ahead of time shows how this has changed.

Next, Dixon's defensive philosophy seems to want to create turnovers (and transition opportunities) as opposed to just guarding shots. Even when we were a #1 seed in 2011, we did not really even try to create turnovers like you do. We used just let team operate on the perimeter, and your team now creates more loose balls.

Finally, there's a little more of a green light he's given to shooters, especially Mills. Dixon gave a similar green light to Sam Young, but it looks like he's a little more ok with quicker shots than he used to be.

Last edited:
I just hope they stay healthy and then will be happy just letting the chips fall where they may. If they do stay healthy, I am hoping for a 3 or 2 seeding in the tournament.

Last edited:

Boomhauer

It’s a fantastic win. One of our best and proves what we’re capable of when we hit shots. But it’s still just one regular season win. We didn’t clinch a conference championship or advance to the final four with this win. And hope the players view it this way too.

But it’s certainly a notch on the bedpost. And a damn fine notch at that.

Eight

Literally every game, home or away. is like playing your toughest rival in the Big XII. A gauntlet! High quality parity top to bottom! How else can you explain losing to winless West Virginia (in conference play) in Morgantown and a few days later at Allen FH, blow out the #2 ranked team in the country.

consider that texas who is 5-2 in conference play has outscored their opponents in conference play 1 point, kansas state the conference leader at 6-1 by 21 with 13 of those margin in their win over texas, and tcu who is 4-3 have at +29 scoring margin in conference play

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
There are some certain differences.

First, he never made it a pure game plan to run the way you guys do. Dixon would never let guys release on the break before the defensive glass was cleared. But seeing how players like Coles get down the court ahead of time shows how this has changed.

Next, Dixon's defensive philosophy seems to want to create turnovers (and transition opportunities) as opposed to just guarding shots. Even when we were a #1 seed in 2011, we did not really even try to create turnovers like you do. We used just let team operate on the perimeter, and your team now creates more lose balls.

Finally, there's a little more of a green light he's given to shooters, especially Mills. Dixon gave a similar green light to Sam Young, but it looks like he's a little more ok with quicker shots than he used to be.
Thanks bc I have to admit I did not watch a lot of Big East bball but my BIL played in that league and when JD came here he was not a fan of the way he had coached up there. Of course all players seem to have a bias toward running

JogginFrog

Outside of Houston, San Antonio and El Paso, hoops culture in Texas is still catching up to the level of talent the state produces. It's a football state; and the Metroplex is very much a football city--didn't even have an NBA team before 1980.

TCU was the first Southwest Conference school to integrate, and it had some hard-working teams, but little fan interest, little worth discussing on the court, and little by way of facilities. Once the gym upgrade was underway (not sure how TCU raised 60M for basketball, but it mattered that it included a lounge overlooking the football field), some began to express expectations about competing for championships. I kept thinking, "There's 150 schools with real energy for basketball; here a post about a new guard commit invariably draws 'ugh-hoped-we-were-upgrading-our-O-line' responses."

So, despite local talent, a competitive conference and a shiny arena, I was pessimistic, thinking, "What coach worth his salt is going to choose TCU over an opening at Creighton or Wichita State or New Mexico or 40 other schools?" Last time we hired a coach, the best we could find was a guy who went 7-36 in conference over his previous 3 seasons.

That's why convincing Dixon to come home was such a coup. I don't know how else TCU could have made a leap. Just stars aligning that things at Pitt had gotten stale enough for it to be an option.

Thought it might be a win-win for both schools, but the Stallings era was rough. Looks like the Panthers have finally turned a corner this season with Capel. How optimistic are Pitt fans these days?

Latest posts