• The KillerFrogs

Comparing Nevada and Utah

SnoSki

In my eyes, these teams look essentially identical. Both have had some great wins, and both have had a game they shouldn't have lost. If Utah wins again this weekend, it *should* advance from lower 20s to upper teens rankings-wise. Nevada is currently in the upper teens. If Boise beats Nevada by a significantly smaller margin than we did against Utah, wouldn't that be one way to argue that TCU is likely the better team?

We went on the road and beat a top-20 team by 40. Boise has a top-20 Nevada in Reno this weekend. What would you say if Boise wins it with a final score difference of 10 or less? 14 or less?

bscttyb

I hope that is the case, its crazy that ESPN's lovechild Boise is going to get credit for crushing another ESPN "pimped" WAC team! Nevada has a high school defense, and it will be exposed!!

SnoSki

Boise St also beat Va Tech.. A better win than Nevada or Utah.

The same VT that lost at home to a 6-5 JAMES MADISON?

Really????????

Really???

So it's about the better win, (#14 VT by 3 is NOT a better win, btw) not comparing results? Because if Nevada and Utah are essentially equal road opponents and TCU wins by 40 while BSU wins by 7, I think it's *clear* that TCU is better.

Who's to say we wouldn't beat #14 VT by more than 3 if we had the chance?

And it was only 3, right? To a team that lost to a FCS, 6-5 JAMES MADISON at home??

IanforHeisman

Va Tech will finish the regular season at 10-2.

Guess how many 10 win AQ teams TCU has beat since they joined the MWC? Zero. The entire MWC in it's history has beat 1, Alabama. Boise St alone will have beat 5. So I wouldn't diss a 10 win AQ team when TCU hasn't beat one in at least a decade if not longer.

SnoSki

Guess how many 10 win AQ teams TCU has beat since they joined the MWC? Zero. The entire MWC in it's history has beat 1, Alabama. Boise St alone will have beat 5. So I wouldn't diss a 10 win AQ team when TCU hasn't beat one in at least a decade if not longer.

Utah also will likely finish at 10-2. Boise beat their 10-2 opponent by 3, while TCU beat theirs by 40. Pretty clear point to me.

Who cares if VT is AQ or not? When that #14, 10-win AQ team lost to a 6-5 FCS school, I say fire at will.

Why do BSU fans always bring up the past? Those teams that Boise had in those 5 wins is totally different than this year's team. Those TCU teams that won/lost in that same time period are DIFFERENT TEAMS than this year's team. Boise may have beaten TCU in last year's Fiesta Bowl and returned 99% of their team, but guess what? This year's TCU team is DIFFERENT. Past results have 0.0000000000000% impact on predicting this season's performances when the players in the games are different. Can you please pass this information on to all BSU fans? I mean really-- congrats on beating OU that one year and beating us last year. That was then, this is NOW.

StinnettFrog

Boise has had exactly one road win over a ranked team in its history. TCU has averaged a road win a year over a ranked team over the past few years. Come back when you have a Division 1 National Championship on your resume.

IanforHeisman

Coaches, Harris, and AP voters disagree with you.. I'll take their opinion over yours.

Uhh.. I'm talking about now

Va Tech > Baylor
Oregon St = Oregon St
Toledo > SMU(Toledo has better record and better win)
Wyoming > Tennessee Tech

WAC > MWC according to Sagarin and ESPN
WAC 7, MWC 4 with Hawaii vs UNLV left

Killing an overrated Utah at SLC doesnt change any of that. Utah had the worst SOS in the top 25 when they were ranked 5th, and have been outscored 109-48 since playing meat of schedule.

Nevada has one close loss @Hawaii, ranked 28th in the coaches poll with 2 games to play.

Last year TCU played a tougher schedule because MWC was strong and WAC was weak, and deserved the higher ranking. This year, MWC let you guys down.

SnoSki

Come back when you have a Division 1 National Championship on your resume.

Excellent point.

Since BSU fans are so eager to think that past victories = better current teams, then why not say that TCU has 2 national titles and thus should get the nod over Boise? Heck, did any of Boise's QBs invent the forward pass? Nope, so thus TCU's Andy Dalton is better than BSU's Kellen Moore.

Same exact logic that BSU fans use by claiming that the Fiesta win from last year makes them the better team this season. Rooted in fallacy.

ftwfrog

Boise has had exactly one road win over a ranked team in its history. TCU has averaged a road win a year over a ranked team over the past few years. Come back when you have a Division 1 National Championship on your resume.
Boise fans get yelled at for bringing up past seasons but you bring up 1938?

IanforHeisman

You really gonna keep spreading that lie?

Boise St beat Oregon on the road
Boise St beat a ranked TCU @Ft Worth
Boise St beat #8 Fresno @Fresno in 2001

Want any more?

Boise St is 8-7 vs teams that finished ranked since 2000, best of all non-Aqs in total wins and win percentage.

IanforHeisman

Boy.. You know you're really reaching when you have to go back to pre WWII days to find smack

Boise St is 2-1 vs Patterson led TCU teams, with zero of those games at home.

Excellent point.

Since BSU fans are so eager to think that past victories = better current teams, then why not say that TCU has 2 national titles and thus should get the nod over Boise? Heck, did any of Boise's QBs invent the forward pass? Nope, so thus TCU's Andy Dalton is better than BSU's Kellen Moore.

Same exact logic that BSU fans use by claiming that the Fiesta win from last year makes them the better team this season. Rooted in fallacy.

SnoSki

You were talking about the irrelevant past in typical BSU fan fashion when you said, "Guess how many 10 win AQ teams TCU has beat since they joined the MWC? Zero. The entire MWC in it's history has beat 1, Alabama. Boise St alone will have beat 5. So I wouldn't diss a 10 win AQ team when TCU hasn't beat one in at least a decade if not longer." Did you not say these exact words?

Va Tech > Baylor
Oregon St = Oregon St
Wyoming > Tennessee Tech

Comparing completely unrelated teams? OK. Well by that same logic..

Utah > New Mexico State
Oregon St = Oregon State
SMU > San Jose State
Wyoming > La Tech (we played Wyoming too, don't forget)
Colorado State > Idaho

See my sig pic below for further study on schedule comparison

Boise being a heavily-marketed ESPN property, they certianly have no incentive to give you guys more credit do they? I mean TCU beats a truly good Utah team in SLC by 40 and they say "Utah was exposed" yet Boise beats a crappy Fresno team by more on the JV-looking Smurf Turf and you hear them say "Boise beat a stout Fresno team today" ... of course ESPN would pimp you guys they have no reason not to. ESPN's view weighs 0% in my mind.

I will give you that, straight up results you can't argue against, but I'm not exactly ready to say that this is case closed, as evidenced above.

In my eyes, Utah and Nevada are essentially identical. If Boise doesn't win by at least 40, then someone needs to really do some thinking about whether Boise is suddenly so much better than TCU.

SnoSki

Boy.. You know you're really reaching when you have to go back to pre WWII days to find smack

Just pointing out the fallacy in saying that previous years' results have any impact on comparing this years' teams.. you just pointed out how stupid it is when you saw what I posted, yet.. like a typical BSU fan you then say...

Boise St is 2-1 vs Patterson led TCU teams, with zero of those games at home.

Typical irrelevant factoid that cannot accurately compare THIS SEASON's teams.

Goodnight

Coaches, Harris, and AP voters disagree with you.. I'll take their opinion over yours.

Va Tech > Baylor
Oregon St = Oregon St
Wyoming > Tennessee Tech

Killing an overrated Utah at SLC doesnt change any of that. Utah had the worst SOS in the top 25 when they were ranked 5th, and have been outscored 109-48 since playing meat of schedule.

Nevada has one close loss @Hawaii, ranked 28th in the coaches poll with 2 games to play.

Last year TCU played a tougher schedule because MWC was strong and WAC was weak, and deserved the higher ranking. This year, MWC let you guys down.

MWC > WAC, according to: Anderson & Hester, Peter Wolfe, Kenneth Massey, Jeff Sagarin(ELO Chess) and Richard Billingsley. Your conference can have the Colley Matrix though

Of the 7 wins the WAC has against the MWC, only one of those wins are against a team thats bowl eligible.

And if SMU is playing in the Conference USA title game, I'd chalk that up as a better win(on the road) than Toledo at home

Horny4TCU

You really gonna keep spreading that lie?

Boise St beat Oregon on the road
Boise St beat a ranked TCU @Ft Worth
Boise St beat #8 Fresno @Fresno in 2001

Want any more?

Boise St is 8-7 vs teams that finished ranked since 2000, best of all non-Aqs in total wins and win percentage.

Data is skewed. You've only been around for what -- 10 years? Just cause you win in the WAC for 10 years means absolutely nothing. There is no variation yet and not enough seasons to know if the program will be any good. Most teams go through up and downs, when Boise has their down years, I'll be the one there to say, "How's your winning record?"

And if the WAC is ever so awesome, why are 4 teams jumping ship to the MWC?