• The KillerFrogs

Colorado Springs Gazette: Air Force, Calhoun decline to gamble against mighty TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Colorado Springs Gazette: Air Force, Calhoun decline to gamble against mighty TCU

DAVID RAMSEY THE GAZETTE'

FORT WORTH, Texas • The door remained open. TCU was in sight. Air Force nursed a slim chance for a season-altering upset.

Then the door slammed shut, partially because the Falcons lacked the nerve required to beat the nation’s mightiest team.

On two fourth downs in the first half, the Falcons declined to test the Mountain West monster. They took the safe route.

This might have made sense against a lesser opponent, but it made little sense against TCU. Risks were required if the Falcons wanted to win. Instead, the Falcons traveled the safe route straight to a deflating, smack-upside-the-head 38-7 defeat.

Two weeks ago, the Falcons were the nation’s No. 23 team. Today, they are on a two-game losing streak. ...

VA Froggie

Gee I wish he would have said what he really felt. Nothing like an arm chair QB who has all the answers. He was upset that the Air Force coach didn't go for a first down on his own 32, or close to that,in the first quarter. DUH And in the second quarter the coach didn't go for a first down in their half of the field. Heck the Frogs only lead the nation in rushing defense, why not try it. Now that is a stupid reporter..... :blink: I just love reading about all the sports writers that should have been head coaches. Amazing...

Good game Frogs

Frog DJ

It's just my stupid opinion, but I don't think AF ever seriously considered going for it on 4th down.

They lined up in the shotgun, and the QB backed up a yard or two and rugby-kicked the ball in an obvious effort to keep Jeremy Kerley off the field.

The fact AF did the same thing regardless of down-and-distance a couple of more times is further evidence the Falcons never intended to go for it on 4th down. They simply wanted to ensure Kerley didn't touch the ball any more than necessary.

Once again, I'm not living inside Troy Calhoun's head, so I don't know for sure - but that's what it looked like to me, and everyone sitting around me.

Go Frogs1

An-Cap Frog

Gamble? Sure you jest...

Strategic is more like it...

AF did exactly what Washington did to Chicago on Sunday..they took TCU's stellar punt return game out of the equation...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
And if Calhoun had gone for it on 4th down on his own 34 and failed, that same reporter would have ripped Calhoun for not playing for field position.

It's just my stupid opinion, but I don't think AF ever seriously considered going for it on 4th down.

They lined up in the shotgun, and the QB backed up a yard or two and rugby-kicked the ball in an obvious effort to keep Jeremy Kerley off the field.

The fact AF did the same thing regardless of down-and-distance a couple of more times is further evidence the Falcons never intended to go for it on 4th down. They simply wanted to ensure Kerley didn't touch the ball any more than necessary.

Once again, I'm not living inside Troy Calhoun's head, so I don't know for sure - but that's what it looked like to me, and everyone sitting around me.

Go Frogs1

Plus Jefferson's punts were awfully bloody effective. Air Force is not designed to be a risk-taking, gambling offense ... they want to do what we've generally wanted to do, conservative, ball-control, field position.

FrogAbroad

Then the door slammed shut, partially because the Falcons lacked the nerve required to beat the nation’s mightiest team.

I'm not sure if the guy's being sarcastic or has become the galaxy's #1 consumer of purple Koo-Aid, but...

joefrog91

On a side note, anyone know why we didn't just put Kerely back there at least one time? Would taking out a safety really have made that much of difference if AF did actually try to make a first down?

Frogenstein

On a side note, anyone know why we didn't just put Kerely back there at least one time? Would taking out a safety really have made that much of difference if AF did actually try to make a first down?

Maybe not, but Gary being a defensive coach doesn't like to give the opposing offense any help.

PurpleBlood87

Taking out a linebacker or even a lineman and putting Kerley out there would have called Air Force's bluff.