• The KillerFrogs

Colorado joins Pac-10, Utes, MWC await next moves

[SIZE=18pt]Colorado joins Pac-10, Utes, MWC await next moves[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]By Lya Wodraska

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 06/10/2010 12:14:32 PM MDT
[/SIZE]

Colorado's move to the Pac-10 has sparked numerous possible scenarios regarding the University of Utah's future, but as of right now everything is status quo, according to school officials.

"The Mountain West Conference is fully in tune with the ongoing developments in the intercollegiate athletics landscape, including today's announcement of a change in other conferences' memberships," he said in the release. "We remain in communication with key parties and are continuing to implement our internal strategies. These deliberations are ongoing and will be remain confidential until the appropriate time."

"We are in a great position if we don't lose any of the current nine members," he said. "It changes the complexion a bit if we have to replace any of the current nine, but if we don't do anything, we still have a very good league. But the presidents are excited about the growth potential going forward to a 10th, 11th and 12th team. It could make us better than we are and we have a good chance to improve ourselves."

desmith03

You might want to edit the post to remove the full article text and post a link to the article. I believe that an excerpt is fine, but the mods will likely come and change it.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Daniel @ Jun 10 2010, 01:56 PM) [snapback]573976[/snapback]
You might want to edit the post to remove the full article text and post a link to the article. I believe that an excerpt is fine, but the mods will likely come and change it.

He's been asked/told at least once about this ...

macaroni

QUOTE(Despite the odds Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:58 PM) [snapback]573983[/snapback]
Never been told, but thanks for assuming.

No problem. Because of legal issues, we can no longer post whole articles. Please post a link to the article and then we can discuss. Thanks!

QUOTE(FriskyFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 07:00 PM) [snapback]573986[/snapback]
No problem. Because of legal issues, we can no longer post whole articles. Please post a link to the article and then we can discuss. Thanks!

Article link is attached to the title. Sorry about the whole article, now I know.

desmith03

QUOTE(Despite the odds Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 02:02 PM) [snapback]573989[/snapback]
Article link is attached to the title. Sorry about the whole article, now I know.

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

:tongue:

desmith03

QUOTE(StealthFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 02:04 PM) [snapback]573994[/snapback]
so, is 12 the max number for MWC expansion. KU, KSU, BSU/ISU/Baylor

The mix would depend on Mizzou:

A) KU, KSU, MU
B) KU, KSU, ISU/BSU

I'm not saying these are the teams the MWC would sign, but they would definitely be pursued.

byuhog

I don't know why the Pac-10 would want CU over Utah, unless it's the academics or something but hey... Maybe they are banking on CU doing better in the recruiting game/becoming a better program, etc.. once they get a windfall of more money...

Ah yes-perhaps the tv market?

Froginexile

What I got out that article is this.

MWC officials know that there schools have been courted officially by other conferences. They also gather around the room that there is no real commitment to the conference if one of the big boys come calling. They don't say, "You know the PAC-10 is great, but I really feel at home with ya'll and the MTN network."

BYU, Utah, and TCU if asked by an AQ conf would jump. That being said, BSU or MWC were not willing to make changes that in two weeks would make adding BSU irrelevant or a hindrance.

16 team conference....no way. Adding the big xii remnant does not make sense. We did that once with the WAC and wound up with the MWC. If the MWC absorbs them, I expect that conference to last only a couple of year.

Shift: The only treasure out of that mess is KU, but thinking out loud. Would KU move to Big East with Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's, etc. and become literally a basketball school?

macaroni

QUOTE(froginexile @ Jun 10 2010, 02:00 PM) [snapback]574099[/snapback]
BYU, Utah, and TCU if asked by an AQ conf would jump.

To Pac10, SEC or Big10, sure. But it's much hazier if invited into the Big East or a reconstituted Big 12 because their futures look questionable and targets for further shifts - if not immediately then down the road a few years.