• The KillerFrogs

Coach Kill

Frozen Frog

I watched Coach Kill for several years. He had great success at Northern Illinois and turned the Minnesota program in something that was respectable. If Coach Patterson fought to protect him then my respect for Patterson grew tremendously.

I do have a concern with Coach Kill. He has had some major health issues in the past that are well documented. I have heard that he has worked to solve those issues, but I am concerned about his health. There were times he would have seizures in the middle of games. As a result there was a very clear designation of assignments if he had an issue during a game or throughout the week. That included someone who was tasked with taking control of the game and serving as the head coach. What is Jerry Kill's health status currently? If he has a seizure or health episode who takes over? Unfortunately his health cost him the job at the U.

I really want the Killer to succeed these last few weeks. He is very similar to Coach P in his loyalty.

There is a bit of fun note regarding Jerry Kill. The moment he was hired there were calls to fire him. There was a MN sports website dedicated to it (www.firejerrykill.com). Several in MN wanted Coach Patterson. I almost called in to one of the shows as a TCU fan and told them that they are already destroyed Wacker, and we didn't want to see them do the same to Patterson.

froginmn

I have similar concerns about Jerry. He was popular in MN and I had season tickets throughout his tenure, including at least one home game I remember where he had a seizure and was carted off. I think the other two that I can remember were on the road.

Hopefully he has things under better control and secondly is less emotionally invested since it's acting HC.

Wexahu

I have similar concerns about Jerry. He was popular in MN and I had season tickets throughout his tenure, including at least one home game I remember where he had a seizure and was carted off. I think the other two that I can remember were on the road.

Hopefully he has things under better control and secondly is less emotionally invested since it's acting HC.
If he’s as emotionally invested as most of our players seem to be he’ll be just fine health wise.

froginmn

IIRC, Jerry wasn't even officially counted as a coach, correct? He was an analyst? Has to be rare for someone not technically on staff to take over as interim.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
This is an interesting choice. Consider:

1) Kill is EXTREMELY tight with Patterson
2) Patterson stepping down / getting fired
3) Kill agrees to be temporary replacement
4) Kills' health and age makes him a non-starter to replace Patterson in long run

This tells me that GP is not that acrimonioous toward TCU. Because if that were so, his buddy wouldn't have taken the temp gig.

This is an interesting choice. Consider:

1) Kill is EXTREMELY tight with Patterson
2) Patterson stepping down / getting fired
3) Kill agrees to be temporary replacement
4) Kills' health and age makes him a non-starter to replace Patterson in long run

This tells me that GP is not that acrimonioous toward TCU. Because if that were so, his buddy wouldn't have taken the temp gig.
It looks like an odd situation, that is for sure. Had to be an interesting conversation between he and GP on that.

Fiscuits

I watched Coach Kill for several years. He had great success at Northern Illinois and turned the Minnesota program in something that was respectable. If Coach Patterson fought to protect him then my respect for Patterson grew tremendously.

I do have a concern with Coach Kill. He has had some major health issues in the past that are well documented. I have heard that he has worked to solve those issues, but I am concerned about his health. There were times he would have seizures in the middle of games. As a result there was a very clear designation of assignments if he had an issue during a game or throughout the week. That included someone who was tasked with taking control of the game and serving as the head coach. What is Jerry Kill's health status currently? If he has a seizure or health episode who takes over? Unfortunately his health cost him the job at the U.

I really want the Killer to succeed these last few weeks. He is very similar to Coach P in his loyalty.

There is a bit of fun note regarding Jerry Kill. The moment he was hired there were calls to fire him. There was a MN sports website dedicated to it (www.firejerrykill.com). Several in MN wanted Coach Patterson. I almost called in to one of the shows as a TCU fan and told them that they are already destroyed Wacker, and we didn't want to see them do the same to Patterson.
Frozen....you need to brace yourself. We are going to get slaughtered in every game from here on out. We'll lose to Kansas by two touchdowns.
I don't hope this happens, but it almost always does. Texas Tech for example will too...it just happens in situations like this. LSU is in same boat, etc...

Jerry Kill will do his best I am sure (and like, Gary, I like him ALOT personally) - but he's further out to pasture than anyone still coaching.

Here is why - while GP "left"; all of our assistant coaches are looking for new jobs while still working at their current one. They aren't going to be game planning, etc....for anyone from here on out. They will be going to job interviews during the week. Practices will be run mostly by GA's.
Scripts from last years practices will be used.

We'll start off the Baylor game passionately as an "ode" to GP...but when the first bad thing happens...that is it.
Then comes Ok State, Kansas and Iowa State. All will feel like the Kansas State game but with worse scores.

These teams will only have to install one or two wrinkles we've never seen and it will be over.

We'll be begging for the season to end. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but for Jerry Kill's health I hope he just puts on the headset, calls as few timeouts as possible and gets the games over with.

This season (if it wasn't already) is over.

Frozen Frog

Anyone want to remind me the types of jobs assistant coaches get who can't produce winning seasons? I have a feeling a few are coaching to improve their stock. I am not calling it a lost season yet. Things can turn around.

I also am starting to think that Coach Patterson was ready to retire sooner rather than later. As others in this thread have mentioned it seems a little more amicable now than it did last night. Coach Kill taking the job has to sit well with Coach P. Also the return of Meacham always seemed strange. Coach Patterson has never liked the transfer portal or NIL. I think the stress of dealing with a lot of the crap in CFB today finally got to him. Hopefully we get a time soon to celebrate and thank him.

Bruce Berry

Not for nothing.....GP walks out. You're his long time friend and he took you from oblivion and put you on the map again and got you paid.

You walk out right behind him right?

froginmn

Not for nothing.....GP walks out. You're his long time friend and he took you from oblivion and put you on the map again and got you paid.

I don't recall that happening with any other staff. It would make you look very bad, cause you to lose your buyout, and leave your players in a bad position.

tacos-de.gif

HFrog1999

I don’t think Patterson is happy about the way things ended

But I don’t think he’s as mad as some people believe

I’m sure he wants what’s best for his coaches and players

I doubt he holds ill will towards the school that helped him have a legendary career and become very wealthy