• The KillerFrogs

Charter Cable vs DirecTV (Fort Worth)

HornyT

I have been a long time customer of DirecTV and for the most part have been very happy with their service. The problem is I need high speed internet access at home and I'm on the edge of AT&T's DSL signal and am not in their Uverse area. I'm tired of internet speeds of 2 Mbps at home when I know I can get 25 Mbps with cable. Any thought from those with Charter in Fort Worth as to quality of service, picture, pricing etc.? Thanks.

cdsfrog

Uverse is an absolute ripoff. Had it for a long time with super fast internet and all the channels was $150 a month no phone. $110 for zero movie channels plus internet.

I pay $34 for TV right now for the 1st year for Choice Ultimate (have a few extra discounts, easy to get) plus $35 for time warner for 10 mb internet. I pay $72 with taxes for a lot more channels than I had with Uverse. Picture quality is the same. Think you get 15 mb internet for 35, not worth it for me

cdsfrog

plus choice direct tv comes with the MTN. No MTN on U-verse.

College Baseball and Football if I cant make games

TCUkanoot

Long time charter user here. I'd switch to Uverse in a heartbeat if I was able.
-QoS isn't too bad, but cable is a shared connection so you'll notice a degradation during peak hours when all your neighbors are online. But I've rarely had an issue with connectivity/speeds. Now, if you're talking Quality of Customer Service...massive fail. Cable companies are the worst.
-Picture is great. I'm no videophile but people have often commented on how great the HD picture is on my tv
-Pricing is a mixed bag. They'll work with you, especially if you're a new customer or threaten to cancel cause you've found a better deal.

I truly hate Charter though. It's a racket. For me, it's just the best available option...the cream of the crappy crop, if you will.

Trelvis

I like Charters internet, works great. Hate their TV service. I wouldn't recommend Charters TV service to anyone.

HToady

I like Charters internet, works great. Hate their TV service. I wouldn't recommend Charters TV service to anyone.

There is your answer right there.

Charter is great for Internet and bad for TV. Plus they have a tendency to keep creeping up with their bill every couple of months.

As far as TV packages, I have UVerse (which I love) basic with sports package (yea I know they don't have The Mountain, but after next year....who cares). Premium movie packages are a rip off on Charter, UVerse, or Direct TV.

If you have a compatible Blue Ray disc player or a late model XBox 360, you can stream movies from Netflix for $8 per month over your TV. All you need is a LAN line from your player to your router. Outstanding, and Yes they have almost all of the HBO specials. $8 per month! On Demand!

HornyT

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I may just want to look into Charter for internet and keep DirecTV for the time being for TV. Anyone have experience in digging tunnels under streets so I can tap into the Uverse that my neighbors one street over have access too? They're KILLING ME!

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I may just want to look into Charter for internet and keep DirecTV for the time being for TV. Anyone have experience in digging tunnels under streets so I can tap into the Uverse that my neighbors one street over have access too? They're KILLING ME!
I can't believe noone has mentioned fios. Super fast Internet and great tv service for hd and recording shows. Although... No mtn unless you pay out the nose.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
One internet option is Clear. They have a banner running on KIllerfrogs. MY brother uses it and says that it is great

Horned Toad

Move across the street! :tongue: