• The KillerFrogs

Charlie Strong continues to wield the ban hammer

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Announced three more suspensions Sunday. Texas opens camp with 75 scholarship players.

Says players will adhere to five core values: be honest, treat women with respect, no drugs, no stealing and no guns.

I respect him for doing it, especially in that environment and culture. Jeesh, Baptist U. is going to be the thuggiest school in the state, though A&M (with a student honor code, wink wink) will continue to battle for that honor.

Column: Texas’ latest punishments harsher than other Big 12 policies
The Daily Texan   Aug 04 12:49am

Strong optimistic Longhorns can handle latest round of dismissals, suspensions

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Boykin4Prez said:
Has he gotten rid of anyone good though? That's how you judge a coach and his ethics.

You are the expert. You tell us. You have seen the list I presume. Who has he not dismissed that he should have so far?

TopFrog said:

You are the expert. You tell us. You have seen the list I presume. Who has he not dismissed that he should have so far?

Not my point. I meant if and when there is someone good in trouble, then we will be able to judge his moral fiber.

Hughes Your Daddy

Overstreet and Bergeron were pretty big name dismissals for the team, and the loss of them thins out their running back depth to a dangerous level. Throw in Daje's suspension for the first game, and they're left with pretty much Malcolm Brown at the running back position.

Desmond Harrison was set up to be one of the anchors on their offensive line, so losing him is another blow to an offense that's already struggling.

No superstars, by any means, but some big names and some anchors for the team.

Frog-in-law1995

berryfrog95 said:
Ladarius Brown & Waynan James comes to mind, guess it depends on what constitutes dismissal
Brown was the only one I could think of. And while he was immensely talented, it wasn't showing up on the field that often. I thought James quit before his final game after getting suspended for a game earlier in the year. Maybe I'm misremembering.

berryfrog95

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Brown was the only one I could think of. And while he was immensely talented, it wasn't showing up on the field that often. I thought James quit before his final game after getting suspended for a game earlier in the year. Maybe I'm misremembering.
You may be right about James, there was also Jenkins, the transfer from LSU who was perceived as a starter.....

West Coast Johnny

Strong's housecleaning will backfire if their season sucks. Some question whether or not he's gotten rid of anyone good. I'd say he's gotten rid of a lot of talent, but a lot of bad attitude as well.

Frog-in-law1995

berryfrog95 said:
You may be right about James, there was also Jenkins, the transfer from LSU who was perceived as a starter.....
Forgot about him. Burg-hab, wasn't it? And after getting kicked out of LSU. What an idiot.

Reptilian

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Is there?
Well, GP said the easy thing in 2012 would have been to suspend Casey for a game or 2 but sent him off for the rest of the season. Last year the school cleared DF to play vs LSU but GP stuck to his guns.

Two pretty damn good players.

Also, LB was our leading returning receiver as a JR. BC, probably as talented as any. Pretty sure wayman was suspended indefinitely with 3 games to go. Some thought he would be allowed back for senior day but didn't happen.

HToady

West Coast Johnny said:
Strong's housecleaning will backfire if their season sucks. Some question whether or not he's gotten rid of anyone good. I'd say he's gotten rid of a lot of talent, but a lot of bad attitude as well.
Not hardley. He's got at least a two year honeymoon. Making the right decisions at the get go. If he was in his 10th year, then I would say he has problems.

Of all the coaches in the Big 12...I fear Strong the most.

Frog-in-law1995

Reptilian said:
Well, GP said the easy thing in 2012 would have been to suspend Casey for a game or 2 but sent him off for the rest of the season. Last year the school cleared DF to play vs LSU but GP stuck to his guns.

Two pretty damn good players.

...who were not kicked off the team.

Also, LB was our leading returning receiver as a JR. BC, probably as talented as any. Pretty sure wayman was suspended indefinitely with 3 games to go. Some thought he would be allowed back for senior day but didn't happen.
BC was a grade casualty, no?