• The KillerFrogs

Charleston Gazette: TCU keeping teams on their toes with trick plays

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Dave Hickman, Staff writer

MORGANTOWN — Gary Patterson is not averse to running the occasional trick play. A few weeks ago in a home game against Oklahoma, the TCU coach came up with a doozy.

Running back and kick returner B.J. Catalon hid himself in the end zone, lying down on a purple spot while wearing a purple uniform. When teammate Cameron Echols-Luper fielded the ball on the other side of the end zone, he ran to the 10-yard line, stopped and fired a lateral pass across the field to Catalon, who gained about 30 yards.

The play was eventually called back on a holding call, but it was still another warning to opponents to always be aware.

Of course, West Virginia and Dana Holgorsen already knew that.

“They got us on a trick play out here in overtime to win the game,’’ Holgorsen said, referring to a surprise 2-point conversion that beat the Mountaineers 39-38 two years ago. “We probably ought to be on the lookout for trick plays — end around and double passes and all that stuff. You don’t see a lot of that out of us. Maybe it’s because I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t know how to coach it up.’’ ...

- See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20141030/GZ02/141039893/1115#sthash.htjQWf02.dpuf

Frog-in-law1995

TopFrog said:

By Dave Hickman, Staff writer

MORGANTOWN Gary Patterson is not averse to running the occasional trick play. A few weeks ago in a home game against Oklahoma, the TCU coach came up with a doozy.

Running back and kick returner B.J. Catalon hid himself in the end zone, lying down on a purple spot while wearing a purple uniform. When teammate Cameron Echols-Luper fielded the ball on the other side of the end zone, he ran to the 10-yard line, stopped and fired a lateral pass across the field to Catalon, who gained about 30 yards.

The play was eventually called back on a holding call, but it was still another warning to opponents to always be aware.

Of course, West Virginia and Dana Holgorsen already knew that.

They got us on a trick play out here in overtime to win the game, Holgorsen said, referring to a surprise 2-point conversion that beat the Mountaineers 39-38 two years ago. We probably ought to be on the lookout for trick plays end around and double passes and all that stuff. You dont see a lot of that out of us. Maybe its because I dont know what Im doing. I dont know how to coach it up. ...

- See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20141030/GZ02/141039893/1115#sthash.htjQWf02.dpuf
Seriously? What a dumb writer. The trick play was the TD pass by BC.

Ron Swanson

No, he's not referring to a "surprise" 2 pt conversion, he's referring the the Brandon Carter end around... Ya dumbarse

Also, look out for some sort of trick play from WVU this week. That last comment by Holgerson screams 6th grade reverse psychology.

Frog-in-law1995

Ron Swanson said:
Also, look out for some sort of trick play from WVU this week. That last comment by Holgerson screams 6th grade reverse psychology.
Seems like trickeration isn't necessary to complete some deep balls against us this year. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a fake punt or an onside kick.