• The KillerFrogs

Changes Need to be Made

Eight

True, to an extent. But they are grilled hard to focus, every little detail. No plays off. And the way he grills his staff to ensure they have the prep needed, and on a specific time table. Really interesting.

Their scout/recruiting budget is through the roof, of course.

But, in the end. Hard work is hard work.

Our guys need to get that fire back. Good thing about Saturday is that they did not quit. Just gotta really zone it and keep it there.

the environment at bama is produce or you are not going to be around

they over recruit as much as anyone, are known for using medicals to help purge the roster, and they are not worried about kids transferring out

they can do this because they damn near have a waiting list of kids who want a chance to go play at alabama.

funny thing is we see similar turnover on saban's coaching staff. curious how many coaches on the staff have been with nick during an extended period of time.

it isn't just on the defensive side of the ball where he has had multiple dc's but oc's as well.

they have evolved their offensive and defensive schemes, types of players they recruit, and continue to push to change the program

core principles are the same defensively and are still physical in their down hill run game, but much more explosive in the passing game now.

it is very rare to find a person who is very successful in any pursuit who continually works to reinvent themself

TCU needs to stop being predictable on offense and defense.

I also think TCU should change it's signals and maybe even, like some teams do, surround the game callers with black sheets.

I see teams move too quickly to the spots TCU will be at or when TCU is on defense the other team has guys wide open like they know they will be too often.

It is youth and bad calls and OL and bad coverage. But I think it also might be everything from teams recognizing calls/signals as well. TCU has to do things differently even trying new ways to hide what they are doing.

netty2424

I know that injuries happen. It's football and not equestrian. But, it seems like we have more than our fair share of serious injuries and a season ending injuries.

Maybe it's just coincidence, I just don't know. However, maybe it's time to take a good hard look at our training and conditioning methods.

Again, I may be overreacting. One other thought, a few years ago, we changed from Fort Worth Bone and Joint, whose doctors had tended to TCU athletics for almost 50 years. We switch to a different group and all of a sudden we seem to have more injuries. Again, it could just be coincidence.
What year did we switch? 2015 was equally injury ridden imo.

netty2424

the environment at bama is produce or you are not going to be around

they over recruit as much as anyone, are known for using medicals to help purge the roster, and they are not worried about kids transferring out

they can do this because they damn near have a waiting list of kids who want a chance to go play at alabama.

funny thing is we see similar turnover on saban's coaching staff. curious how many coaches on the staff have been with nick during an extended period of time.

it isn't just on the defensive side of the ball where he has had multiple dc's but oc's as well.

they have evolved their offensive and defensive schemes, types of players they recruit, and continue to push to change the program

core principles are the same defensively and are still physical in their down hill run game, but much more explosive in the passing game now.

it is very rare to find a person who is very successful in any pursuit who continually works to reinvent themself
Is the coaching turnover bc Saban is churning them or because once they get that line on the resume that says Alabama, are they more sought after.

Eight

Is the coaching turnover bc Saban is churning them or because once they get that line on the resume that says Alabama, are they more sought after.

great question and i really don't have a a good answer

i have heard saban is not an easy guy to work for and can be very demanding.

you would also think if you were an assistant who wanted to be a head coach at some time he would be a great guy to be around in regards to program building etc..

he has also not been afraid to hire people who are going to be there on a short term basis i.e. kiffin and he has brought people in from the outside to interject certain ideas into parts of the program that he feels are lacking

example is michael locksley was brought in reportedly for his knowledge and understanding of spread offense concepts that you see being run with tua.

he has two guys who have been with him from the start and the longest tenured after that is 2015

one thing to consider is his mentors have always had staff turnover at the nfl level

cheese83

you would also think if you were an assistant who wanted to be a head coach at some time he would be a great guy to be around in regards to program building etc..

he has also not been afraid to hire people who are going to be there on a short term basis i.e. kiffin and he has brought people in from the outside to interject certain ideas into parts of the program that he feels are lacking

example is michael locksley was brought in reportedly for his knowledge and understanding of spread offense concepts that you see being run with tua.

he has two guys who have been with him from the start and the longest tenured after that is 2015

one thing to consider is his mentors have always had staff turnover at the nfl level

The amount of talent they get is insane. Sure Saban works them hard as hell but we can’t compare ourselves w them.

Eight

The amount of talent they get is insane. Sure Saban works them hard as hell but we can’t compare ourselves w them.

i agree completely that he can do things that no one else in regards to turning over his roster and staff relationships

the one thing that can be borrowed though is he continued attempts to interject new ideas into the program. they are not running the same offense they first ran in 2007 and while the formation might be the same defensively they are doing things the same way with the same type of personnel

one byproduct of the turn over of staff is the continued interjection of new ideas and concepts.

not a fan of the jack welch model of firing 20% of the work force to motivate those remaining and i have no problems with familiarity and loyalty.

those two traits however if you aren't careful can lead to stagnation and inbred thinking. also consider that tcu i now believe is in one conference the longest of any time during gary's tenure. additionally the schools in the big 12 have the most resources to break down video etc and you have the network of coaches with the texas tech ties who we know talk on a regular basis.

Last edited:

PO Frog

i agree completely that he can do things that no one else in regards to turning over his roster and staff relationships

the one thing that can be borrowed though is he continued attempts to interject new ideas into the program. they are not running the same offense they first ran in 2007 and while the formation might be the same defensively they are doing things the same way with the same type of personnel

one byproduct of the turn over of staff is the continued interjection of new ideas and concepts.

not a fan of the jack welck model of firing 20% of the work force to motivate those remaining and i have no problems with familiarity and loyalty.

those two traits however if you aren't careful can lead to stagnation and inbred thinking. also consider that tcu i know believe is in one conference the longest of any time during gary's tenure. additionally the schools in the big 12 have the most resources to break down video etc and you have the network of coaches with the texas tech ties who we know talk on a regular basis.
I've thought for a few years now that OSU and OU have been reading our mail.

Eight

I've thought for a few years now that OSU and OU have been reading our mail.

go back to the semi-final game last year when gary and dana are going back and forth and i think dana basically lets gary know that gary had been sign stealing.

take a grad assistant like mensa once was for mack brown and texas, put him in a film room with a loop of the coaches on the sideline and the game action.

CountryFrog

not a fan of the jack welch model of firing 20% of the work force to motivate those remaining and i have no problems with familiarity and loyalty.

those two traits however if you aren't careful can lead to stagnation and inbred thinking. also consider that tcu i now believe is in one conference the longest of any time during gary's tenure. additionally the schools in the big 12 have the most resources to break down video etc and you have the network of coaches with the texas tech ties who we know talk on a regular basis.
Everything you're saying is true. I'm not sure any of it is totally unique to Alabama though. Saban deserves all the credit in the world for getting that machine to the point it's at today. But now I think it's at a point where the talent everywhere is so overwhelming that probably 50% or more of P5 staffs could roll in there and get them into the playoff.

cheese83

If anything moving forward their turnover could be impacted by the new transfer rules where guys who haven't redshirted can transfer out.

Eight

Everything you're saying is true. I'm not sure any of it is totally unique to Alabama though. Saban deserves all the credit in the world for getting that machine to the point it's at today. But now I think it's at a point where the talent everywhere is so overwhelming that probably 50% or more of P5 staffs could roll in there and get them into the playoff.

i agree that they have reached a level that to some points is self-sustaining

still think a great part of that is the continued re-inventing of the offense and defense to try to stay ahead which might sound ridiculous, but i think that is why they have won the number of titles they have won in the past 9 years

NewFrogFan

What fan base worth a scat doesn't have overly demanding fans????

Become a stepping stone? We always have been a stepping stone. Always will be. Anyone that thinks TCU is a destination school is living in denial.

The half empty stadium thing is nonsense. We're not the only ones that suffer from this. Big state schools also deal with this. Even Saban whined about it.

No one realizes just how lucky we are that we got a coach like Patterson that decided to stay several times when he had the opportunity to leave.

Been to many SEC games??? 18 years in one place and the 2nd most tenured coach in the country kind of throw a wrench into your analogy dont you think?????

Bizarro Frog

In my opinion we have lost 3 games (Tech, KU. TX) we were the better team and the Ohio St game was a toss up. Turnovers cost us every game. We out gained all of them in total yards except OSU. We can blame the coaches but I honestly think they put our players in position to win and the players did it to themselves by turning the ball over or dropping wide open catches. Over that 1-5 stretch we have 16 turnovers to 2 takeaways. We are averaging 3,2 turnovers a game as opposed to .33 takeaways. I think this is the answer to the question of what is wrong.

If the Frogs were completed inept on offense I could see the outrage but they are not. That said the Wildcat needs to be put in timeout for 5 years minimum.

The house a fire unjury bug is another matter all together. I have no clue why it happens. That concerns me maybe the most.

4th. down

In my opinion, this is a good and realistic post.

Where does the Bama/Saban thought process compare to the current HC/Staff at TCU? At the end of the day, we are continuing an inbreeding process of so-so assistants if you look at our staff as a whole. Do we have any assistants/analyst that have been previous head coaches at a Power 5? No, and why is this so? On many fronts it's GP and it is what it is. Will he permit his ego to be challenged by assistant coaches on different aspects of recruiting to play selection and all points in between? It would be wrong to say, well we don't have the funds for the football program to do that, but we do.

From what I understand about the program is that we don't really have anyone that is knowledgeable enough in their particular field to openly challenge GP on a specific issue. You wouldn't think Saban would either with that ego, but he does and that's why he is continually turning over his staff because a lot of his assistants are capable of head coaching positions and move on but Saban pulls out their thoughts and implements what he wants.

At the end of the day, don't expect GP to change.

Pharm Frog

I'm not contradicting myself. We got extremely lucky that we found a guy that wants to be here. As soon as he's gone see if we're not a stepping stone.

I hope we're a stepping stone in the future. Really do. If we aren't that means we aren't doing very well. If we are it means that we are AND that we are probably pretty good at hiring. To think that we're gonna have a coach stay for 20 years is very much against the odds.

Eight

I hope we're a stepping stone in the future. Really do. If we aren't that means we aren't doing very well. If we are it means that we are AND that we are probably pretty good at hiring. To think that we're gonna have a coach stay for 20 years is very much against the odds.

i agree and have wondered if the fact that gary has been part of tcu transitioning through multiple levels of conference play have provided gary with the challenge of high levels of competition while staying at the same program