• The KillerFrogs

CGP knows what to do ...

asleep003

Firstly, to beat Baylor next week and OSU the following week at home. But for 2019 .....

a) Get a couple of Professional WR coaches(minimum 1), to replace the 2 WR coaches, that are getting paid like professionals, and have been moved around(unsuccessfully) in their careers here. These 2 and another can be given desk jobs/recruiting coordinator/scouting/etc. as they have milked this Jersey Cow long enough. We just have to develop more quality targets, as if Ds only have to focus on Reagor, it'll be similar in 2019.

b) The OL will need a bit more talent for Thomsen to work with, and he also knows what to do. Look for a couple of new additions for Spring ball. Possibly 2 experienced/highly rated transfers from JCs and or Sr transfers. We have to have this ... as probably have 2, possibly 3 salvageable OLs from this year... while we just don't know what we have in our 2018 OL RS class.

c) RBs … no one has a lock on that spot any more... it's wide open. We still have a good class of RBs coming in and if one of either of those 2 come in the Spring, then their chances are better for the rotation. Decent there.

d) QB's - with Collins/Robinson/Rogers/and Duggan(if here Spring), should be quite a battle and who ever comes out on the top 2 deep should be good for us ... as long as there are protectors and good route/
hands people, and an average rushing game.

e) Back 7 on the defense should be very similar quality or possibly even better. Very concerned about experience and depth at DE. Don't have a clue where we're going to get that from... JC/Sr transfers? But one thing for sure, our DTs are going to be the best in the Big 12 next year and hopefully that will compensate for our DE youth.

Mentioned last Spring that everyone is getting better in the Big12, but didn't mention we were most likely not and was hoping for an 8-4 rebuilding 2018 season... and would have been OK with a 7-5. So this year is what happens every 3 - 4 years. CGP can look at this season and he knows which desk job is best for Jarrett/Rusty/and Dan.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
GP is navigating the remaining season, playing young guys who arent ready to play and hoping he can miraculously pull two wins out of his arse. Then we will see what he does in the off season. To me though GP doesn't seem like GP of old. He needs to get some fire back IMHO.

asleep003

GP is navigating the remaining season, playing young guys who arent ready to play and hoping he can miraculously pull two wins out of his arse. Then we will see what he does in the off season. To me though GP doesn't seem like GP of old. He needs to get some fire back IMHO.[/QUOTE]

He is when it comes to loyalty and protecting his old cronies … but its time to lower their pay grade, at a desk job, or they can try to do better else where.

Ron Swanson

GP is navigating the remaining season, playing young guys who arent ready to play and hoping he can miraculously pull two wins out of his arse. Then we will see what he does in the off season. To me though GP doesn't seem like GP of old. He needs to get some fire back IMHO.
I don’t think a lack of fire on GP’s behalf is the issue.

I think it’s a lack of player leadership, young/inexperienced starters, immature players (and I don’t mean young or inexperienced, I mean immature), a lot of injuries, a real shippy offensive line, and a crappy/toxic chemistry that is a result of all of the above. Also, I think our most talented players aren’t necessarily the type of guys who are natural team-first leaders that you need to be successful.

It reminds me a little of 2016. It’s not like there’s no talent, but there’s no cohesion and the team has no idea how to win. It’s the opposite of clutch.

I don’t necessarily think that it’s a coaching issue, but I also think a major shakeup of the assistant coaching staff could breath some new life into the building and shake things up. Sometimes that’s what you need.

The team needs a reset. We could be really good in 2019.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Unfortunately I don't trust GP to make any changes to the coaching staff. His "buddies" are here till he retires. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

JugbandFrog

The offensive line as a unit is not good. Not sure it's Thomsens fault as these guys were recruited and coached by Anderson.
Offensive line deficiencies can be masked by solid fundamentals, which these players don’t have. Fundamentals that are taught, but mostly reinforced. The little things they don’t do is a sign lf poor coaching.

FrogLifeYo

I don’t think a lack of fire on GP’s behalf is the issue.

I think it’s a lack of player leadership, young/inexperienced starters, immature players (and I don’t mean young or inexperienced, I mean immature), a lot of injuries, a real shippy offensive line, and a crappy/toxic chemistry that is a result of all of the above. Also, I think our most talented players aren’t necessarily the type of guys who are natural team-first leaders that you need to be successful.

It reminds me a little of 2016. It’s not like there’s no talent, but there’s no cohesion and the team has no idea how to win. It’s the opposite of clutch.

I don’t necessarily think that it’s a coaching issue, but I also think a major shakeup of the assistant coaching staff could breath some new life into the building and shake things up. Sometimes that’s what you need.

The team needs a reset. We could be really good in 2019.

Today’s Big time college football requires that you be able to recruit and count on 1st and 2nd year players. Like it or not it just does. If you have to wait until a guy is a 3rd years Junior before he’s worth a damn or able to lead then your going to be a .500 program a lot of the time because your always re-building.

I don’t think we have a coaching problem as much as we have a teaching problem. We need to get young players contributing more early and not due to injury

Wexahu

Today’s Big time college football requires that you be able to recruit and count on 1st and 2nd year players. Like it or not it just does. If you have to wait until a guy is a 3rd years Junior before he’s worth a damn or able to lead then your going to be a .500 program a lot of the time because your always re-building.

I don’t think we have a coaching problem as much as we have a teaching problem. We need to get young players contributing more early and not due to injury

About 90% of coaching is teaching.

Thomsen has been coaching these guys for a good while now.
That's true enough. I don't think it can be said that he hasn't had enough time to teach them and so it's a fair question as to their fundamentals. It's also pretty obvious that our OL talent level is very poor. We have senior guards who don't play and contribute anything, a young tackle trying to play left guard, and a center and right guard that are not P5 players. Although McKinney has been average and Niang is good, it's pretty much impossible for them to play as a cohesive unit when the only time 3 of the 5 don't get absolutely blown up is when they miss assignments--which is quite often.

asleep003

Thomsen has been coaching these guys for a good while now.

He is in the midst of his second year. I remember how happy with him everyone was, with the 11 win season after a disappointing 2016 year that most blamed KH for, but many others knew it was the OL. 2018 Thomsen was stuck with 1 starter and minimally used assortment of inexperience/and poor depth. consisting of no seniors, 2 sophs, 1 freshman and a JC transfer.

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

He is in the midst of his second year. I remember how happy with him everyone was, with the 11 win season after a disappointing 2016 year that most blamed KH for, but many others knew it was the OL. 2018 Thomsen was stuck with 1 starter and minimally used assortment of inexperience/and poor depth. consisting of no seniors, 2 sophs, 1 freshman and a JC transfer.

I don’t think Thomsen is doing a bad job but there is certainly no evidence that he’s doing good one either. Regardless of the inexperience he inherited, we have not seen a single hint of improvement 11 weeks into the season..That’s got to be concerning for even those who wear the purplest of shaded glasses.

And...you can’t be serious about KH. While I’ll grant you that the OL was suspect, he was as much of the problem as the OL was...