• The KillerFrogs

Cape Cod Times: Kevin Cron gets fresh start

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Cape Cod Times: Kevin Cron gets fresh start

By Russ Charpentier

FALMOUTH -- What a difference a short passing of time and a change of scenery can provide. Just ask Falmouth first baseman Kevin Cron, a third-round pick out of high school in 2011.

Cron suffered the most miserable baseball season of his 20 years this spring at Texas Christian, but has rebounded to hit the stuffing out of the ball for the Commodores.

Through 22 games, the 6-6, 245-pound right-handed slugger was not only delivering a high percentage of quality at-bats, he was being rewarded with a .366 average and displaying his power eight doubles, four homers and 20 RBIs against the Cape's quality arms. He also had a surprising six steals. Cron's highlight so far a five-hit, two-homer game in a 12-inning loss at Harwich on July 5.

All this after struggling through a .208, two homer, 20 RBI college season that took everyone by surprise.

"My college coach (Jim Schlossnagle, also head coach of Team USA) told me just go out and play as much baseball as I can this summer and get back to enjoying the game," Cron said. "He could tell I was pretty embarrassed. We had high expectations as a team (the Horned Frogs lost to UCLA in the Super Regionals in 2012 but went 29-28 in 2013, lost in the Big 12 tourney and didn't make regionals). I was embarrassed about how it went. Not just individually but as a team." ...

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130712/SPORTS/130719930/-1/NEWS

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
He is way too good of a hitter to have had the kind of year he suffered through last season.

Way to go Kevin!

GeoFrog

As I was perusing the TV schedule today, saw that Falmouth @ Yarmouth will be Live on Fox College Sports-Atlantic at 4:00 pm CST today.

GeoFrog

Falmouth @ Yarmouth-Dennis on Fox College Sports -Atlantic now.

Cron not in the line-up.

Edit: Said he was in Queens at the Futures game watching his brother.