• The KillerFrogs

Cancel the SMU series

Froggy Bottom

I understand where y’all are coming from.

But I also think y’all were not around for the death of the SWC and how it felt to be left behind as UT, Arkansas and A&M declared themselves too good for the likes of TCU and that 7+ decades of rivalry and tradition meant nothing.

You can disagree but I hope the day hasn’t come when we too become part of the problem with college football and abandon a long standing traditional cross town rivalry because we feel we’ve become too good for it.

Just my 2 cents

Chongo94

+1

I’m all for keeping rivalries and tying into history as much as possible but this one is one that needs to be laid to rest post haste.

It hasn’t been really, TRULY relevant in over 80-90 years. When SMU was great in the SWC in the 70s and 80s, TCU wasn’t. When TCU was ok in the 50s, SMU stunk.

Aside from the last four years or so, You have to go back to the 1930s to find a time where both schools were pretty good and relevant at the same time. What on god’s green earth are some of y’all holding onto this series for??

Chongo94

The SMU game is great for both universities. Ending it would be a mistake
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

Sangria Wine

I’d keep the series but not play at SMU. Either play every year at TCU or every other year at TCU. I see no reason to ever play at their place until they significantly enhance their program by investing money AND winning games.

Putt4Purple

I’d keep the series but not play at SMU. Either play every year at TCU or every other year at TCU. I see no reason to ever play at their place until they significantly enhance their program by investing money AND winning games.
The solution is for SMU to host at another venue. That in and of itself is another topic IF agreed to. Where? Should SMU start hosting at the Cotton Bowl again? Certainly not in Arlington. Frisco at the soccer complex? Just throwing it out there!!
Go Frogs!

I’m all for keeping the series to where any home game at SMU is played at night or the game is canceled. It’s a miracle that someone did not die from a heat stroke that last game due to not being able get water in the second half of the game.

PurpleSouthpaw

This same topic came up on the 247 HornedFrogBlitz board. I responded vehemently why we keep the game unless it is absolutely necessary to get rid of it for scheduling purposes.

The gist of my points are as follows:
1) Rivalries operate outside of current relevancy and competitiveness. For example, Ohio St. vs Michigan (The Game) which is considered arguably the best rivalry in all CFB, has the exact same record as the Iron Skillet since 2011. So should that rivalry stop being played as well? To say otherwise would mean that SMU should have dropped the game back in the 80's when we sucked and they were the Pony Express. Dropping it because we think the game is beneath us is incredible arrogant, and makes our fanbase look like asshol es. Time is irrelevant, because nobody knows what each program will look like in 20 years.

2) The fact that we have this discussion almost every season really makes the point of how much of a rivalry it truly is. The game matters because of the history, because it has a name and a legacy, because it's Dallas vs Fort Worth. Baylor is the competitive rivalry we have, SMU is the historic one.

Be grateful for where TCU is while still respecting where we came from. I don't want the growth of arrogance in our fanbase because of our success. We are a small private school that has achieved way more than many teams that have way more resources than us in the last 2 decades. This is because we have constantly kept the chip-on-our-shoulder mentality and remained hunger/humble with success.

Chongo94

This same topic came up on the 247 HornedFrogBlitz board. I responded vehemently why we keep the game unless it is absolutely necessary to get rid of it for scheduling purposes.

The gist of my points are as follows:
1) Rivalries operate outside of current relevancy and competitiveness. For example, Ohio St. vs Michigan (The Game) which is considered arguably the best rivalry in all CFB, has the exact same record as the Iron Skillet since 2011. So should that rivalry stop being played as well? To say otherwise would mean that SMU should have dropped the game back in the 80's when we sucked and they were the Pony Express. Dropping it because we think the game is beneath us is incredible arrogant, and makes our fanbase look like asshol es. Time is irrelevant, because nobody knows what each program will look like in 20 years.

2) The fact that we have this discussion almost every season really makes the point of how much of a rivalry it truly is. The game matters because of the history, because it has a name and a legacy, because it's Dallas vs Fort Worth. Baylor is the competitive rivalry we have, SMU is the historic one.

Be grateful for where TCU is while still respecting where we came from. I don't want the growth of arrogance in our fanbase because of our success. We are a small private school that has achieved way more than many teams that have way more resources than us in the last 2 decades. This is because we have constantly kept the chip-on-our-shoulder mentality and remained hunger/humble with success.

nope-ron-burgundy-mmj8x2oeqqw9kspz.gif