• The KillerFrogs

Can we talk about Kansas?

TCUdirtbag

Thanks for the info, Finkle. 

Any scenario where we break 40 points and Kansas fails to score more than 14, and/or it's a 4-score W ought to be sufficient to prevent any "but Baylor beat Kansas 60-14" in Waco talk. 

If we play our game and start off up 14-0 for the 8th time in 10 games this year, the game gets out of reach quickly and we pound the rock the second half and roll 49-14.  Poor Tim Brando & Co. run out of things to talk about mid-3rd quarter.

I'm looking for our D to play lights out Saturday.  I'd love to see a shutout, but would be very happy with Kansas scoring no more than 10.  I think the Texas game is going to be a lower scoring game for us (ceiling in the 30s), so I want to see our D really clicking on the road.  

Raw Frog

The good news about the weather is that it is not supposed to be real windy.  Cold and possible snow, but not real windy like it was in Wyoming the Rose Bowl year, or that Air Force game with bad weather.  Need to protect the ball, run it, throw some short and medium routes to keep them honest, run some more and keep TB from taking some hard hits.
We overmatch them and should have no real problems barring some turnovers and easy scores.
We need to establish ourselves early as coming to play, so they don't get any big ideas of making it a contest. 

agree with all your post.. but these two games were in 09 (I was there).  we got AF and Wyoming at home in 2010 Rose bowl year

Raw Frog said:
The good news about the weather is that it is not supposed to be real windy.  Cold and possible snow, but not real windy like it was in Wyoming the Rose Bowl year, or that Air Force game with bad weather.  Need to protect the ball, run it, throw some short and medium routes to keep them honest, run some more and keep TB from taking some hard hits.
We overmatch them and should have no real problems barring some turnovers and easy scores.
We need to establish ourselves early as coming to play, so they don't get any big ideas of making it a contest. 

cdsfrog

jewstfrogit said:
Thanks for the info, Finkle. 

I'm looking for our D to play lights out Saturday.  I'd love to see a shutout, but would be very happy with Kansas scoring no more than 10.  I think the Texas game is going to be a lower scoring game for us (ceiling in the 30s), so I want to see our D really clicking on the road.  

Yes please, another OSU type performance. I'd be fine with a 34/31 to 9 type game. If we can hold Kansas to less points on the road than Baylor at home, it shows the balance of a good defense with a potent offense.

punter9

stick Boykin in the cryo machine before practice.  That will do.  Crank the AC in the dome down to like 40.....actually if it isn't capable of that it should be in all seriousness......

netty2424

punter9 said:
stick Boykin in the cryo machine before practice.  That will do.  Crank the AC in the dome down to like 40.....actually if it isn't capable of that it should be in all seriousness......
Or just practice outside!

Bob

Latest forecast I get is for game time temps to be above freezing and no significant snow until night.

Man, a kid from Texas ought to think these conditions are really fun.  Perfect football weather.  Perfect day to kick some Jayhawk butt.

'By the way, they have players, but no depth, on the DL.  TJ probably won't get the start, but he would be huge if he was used in the 2nd half.

Frog Brother

ArgyleFrog2010 said:

okay, I know you're trolling, but Lawrence Kansas has an altitude (elevation) of 866 feet... about 230 feet higher than Fort Worth and about the same elevation as Morgantown. 

Wyoming was at 6,000 feet and CSU, AF, and Boise are around 5,000-5,5000

just so the rest of the board doesn't bite

More sarcasm directed at our old MWC foes than trolling.  I guess you had to spend time on the old MWC message board to get it.

EdKamen

Well, it is a road game -- the Frogs haven't been very good on the road this year, surprisingly, even though they've only played three -- so anything could happen.

I don't want TCU worrying about running it up or resting players to prevent injuries -- just play the best game you can and see what happens at 0:00.

BABYFACE

Frog Brother said:
Are we playing at altitude?  I know its Kansas but if it is a higher altitude than Fort Worth we may be screwed.  I remember reading some very convincing arguments sometime in the not too distant past that we won't be able to compete at altitude.  Now throw in bitter cold weather and we are likely to fair no better than when we played at Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force and Boise State.
Try to tell that theory to Utah. TCU didn't have a problem destroying Utah in SLC. TCU beat good BYU and Boise St teams in the mountains.

I think driving rain, ice and poor field conditions would have more of an effect than the cold. The cold can make it unpleasant. However , if the precip stays away and the sun is out, it might not be that bad.

BABYFACE

EdKamen said:
Well, it is a road game -- the Frogs haven't been very good on the road this year,.
TCU scored 58 against Baylor and lost at the very end on a defensive collapse to very good team. They found a way to win in Morgantown in tough conditions when WV was still on a high. They could have played better, but I am not ready to knock them yet for play on the road.

McFroggin

NYC Horned Frog said:
Use this game to get Doctson, BJ and Grey (anyone have an update here?) as healthy as possible. Tell Boykin to take very little risks and use AG, Hicks and TJ to hammer it down their throats.
I'd rather rest Green as he has the highest ceiling this season on any given play.

tcudoc

punter9 said:
Austin-Powers-Cryogenically-Frozen.jpg

Strat Frog

Would like to see some of our backups get some significant game experience, which would also mean that we're in control early and way ahead. But, our first stringers shouldn't come in and just expect KU to lay down for us. Get pumped, get mean, get focused, and take care of business first.

Ron Swanson

SnoSki said:
Statistically worse than WVU and Tech against the run vs FBS.

Statistically decent against the pass, 5th/10 in conference vs FBS.
They're probably statistically decent against the pass because everyone has the ability to run on them, so they do.

puckster59

Kansas State rarely had a sixth guy in the box, because they were defending over the top with their safeties. So the Frogs did what any opponent should. They blocked their five with our five and ran it down their throats. Kansas does the same thing, TCU will run for 300+ and win big. They load up to defend the run, TB will pick their DBs apart. Either way, I'll give 28 (or whatever the line's gotten to) without a second thought.