• The KillerFrogs

Can we now admit the receivers are the problem?

One other thing no one has mentioned, our snaps are bad.  How many times did Boykin have to catch a snap around his knees or lower today?
Today? The better question is how many times this season? Just another in a long list of things that the offensive staff has not gotten corrected despite its repetitive occurrence.

cheese83

PO Frog said:
Don't think it's fair to call that one a drop. The defender was chopping his arms pretty good and I thought interference should have been called.
Back shoulder fade he bobbled. Perfect throw. Forgot Carter dropped one too.

DickBumpastache

TCU J-Sauce said:
I do understand. I understand that we have a gun shy QB who stares down his first read then bolts if that player isn't open. We have a QB who tries to do everything himself. We have a QB who over thinks everything instead of just playing ball. This read option centered offense only compounds the issue by forcing him to make decisions on the fly. Line up under center and take all that over thinking out of it and just let the kid execute a much simply game plan.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but Boykin would be 100x worse under center. He's too short to see over the line unless he's in shotgun. An under-center offense asks a QB to be much more precise with his footwork and timing, neither of which are Boykin's strengths. They also demand that the receivers run crisp routes and be on the same page with their QB, which hasn't happened with either Boykin or Pachall. If you'll notice, on the 2nd INT Boykin motioned to Cam White to break off his route before the snap...only to have White run a 'Go' and give up an easy Pick-6.

Not to mention that Boykin has never taken a snap in anything resembling the offense you are talking about. By the way you're describing it though, it seems like it'd only take him a practice or two to get it...since it's so simple and all.

And again, show me the maulers up front on this roster that it takes to be Stanford or Alabama or LSU. We don't have them. And as far as changing offenses in the middle of a season...LOL. We might not score another point if that happened. And that doesn't mention what a sign of panic it'd be from the coaches (neither of the coordinators have recent experience in a 'pro set' offense). If the I doesn't work, maybe we should try the flexbone the week after. And the West Coast the week after that. I mean, changing offenses is simple right?

PO Frog

DickBumpastache said:

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but Boykin would be 100x worse under center. He's too short to see over the line unless he's in shotgun. An under-center offense asks a QB to be much more precise with his footwork and timing, neither of which are Boykin's strengths. They also demand that the receivers run crisp routes and be on the same page with their QB, which hasn't happened with either Boykin or Pachall. If you'll notice, on the 2nd INT Boykin motioned to Cam White to break off his route before the snap...only to have White run a 'Go' and give up an easy Pick-6.

Not to mention that Boykin has never taken a snap in anything resembling the offense you are talking about. By the way you're describing it though, it seems like it'd only take him a practice or two to get it...since it's so simple and all.

And again, show me the maulers up front on this roster that it takes to be Stanford or Alabama or LSU. We don't have them. And as far as changing offenses in the middle of a season...LOL. We might not score another point if that happened. And that doesn't mention what a sign of panic it'd be from the coaches (neither of the coordinators have recent experience in a 'pro set' offense). If the I doesn't work, maybe we should try the flexbone the week after. And the West Coast the week after that. I mean, changing offenses is simple right?
Agree with all of this. We don't have the coaching on staff to even teach the proper footwork I don't think. The only advantage to being under center is that it would allow Boykin to keep his eyes upfield and perhaps get better at seeing what the defense is doing. Instead, he's too busy trying to catch the snap at his shins to notice where the safety is moving at the snap of the ball.

kiawah

Tom Brown said:
+4

2 ints yes. But more wr drops.
boykin not responsible for picks...both were on the receivers

drops were plentiful

lack of awareness by receivers[stepping out of bounds before catching ball, not getting beyond the sticks on 3d down]

OL is way too inconsistent, at least no procedure penalties today

TheFDN

DickBumpastache said:

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but the offense we are runnin now doesn't exactly play to Boykins strengths either.

asleep003

It's all about the Big and Uglies.  Ask Eli how he's doing with out an OL... or ask Peyton why he picked Denver, after looking at a 1/2 dozen teams, very closely ...

Cheers !

ShreveFrog

Wu-Tang Frog said:
I have always been impressed with the way David Porter just seems to know what to do out there. He reminded me of Boyce on that TD catch.

Except that it should have been Cam White looking like Boyce. He was wide open way down the field. He was the guy who blocked after Porter ran the ball about 20 yards up to him.  At least the play worked for a td since the two KU defenders were hilariously inept.  

Other poor choices by the qb -- a panic scramble from a 3-man rush, seemingly never looking away from his first receiver; taking a tackle for loss after running well outside the tackle when he could have thrown the ball away.  

His first pick was a high throw on a short pass to WJ, who couldn't get his hands up fast enough to corral it.  I don't blame that one completely on WJ.  That could not be an easier throw. 

Yes, receivers are a problem.  But every aspect of the offense is a problem.  Even our running backs had brain farts and fumbles.

Double V

DickBumpastache said:
We ran the ball 41 times today and still did not top 400 offensive yards. Face it: the offense has severe deficiencies, in both talent and coaching. I would suggest hiring a WR coach who has actually coached WRs, and moving the current WR coach to a position he has EXCELLED AT in the past. Our receivers have looked clueless on far too many occasions to count, even in the first game of the season vs LSU.
Only 28 of those 41 runs were by a RUNNING BACK. We are still asking Boykin to do too much.

RB's were 45% of our offense today...and we won. In case you were wondering, the magic number seems to be 35% when Boykin is our QB. Over and we win, under and we lose. Simple as that.

DickBumpastache

TheFDN said:
I'm not sure how to break this to you, but the offense we are runnin now doesn't exactly play to Boykins strengths either.

I would love to hear how today's performance rests at Boykin's feet. There was
- a fumbled punt return
- 2 fumbles by RBs
- a pass that hit off the RBs hands (give Boykin 1/2 credit for this since the pass might have been thrown too hard)
- a clear miscommunication (give Boykin 1/2 credit if you are particularly harsh)

So he made 1 of the 5 miscues combined, and that's if you don't want to cut him any slack at all.

Boykin has some obvious flaws. However if you think he'd actually work better as an under center QB...I don't really know what to say.

DickBumpastache

Double V said:
Only 28 of those 41 runs were by a RUNNING BACK. We are still asking Boykin to do too much.

RB's were 45% of our offense today...and we won. In case you were wondering, the magic number seems to be 35% when Boykin is our QB. Over and we win, under and we lose. Simple as that.

2 of our 3 running backs fumbled the ball today. Why do they get passes?

berryfrog95

Williamsons fine, OL is down the list of problems.....at least you can see they been coached up some.....

It's on Burns, Luper & Anderson....they can't coach the receivers, get boy kind progressions cleaned up nor get the play calling straight...

4ever Froggy

TCU J-Sauce said:
Boykin is every bit as much of the problem as the receivers are. Until we start lining up in a pro style or I formation and play smash mouth football, our offense will continue to struggle to produce any satisfying results.
I know many will disagree but based what I've seen, trying to play smash mouth with this offensive line would result in possibly more ineptitude. We get zero push, routinely miss blocks, play with high leverage and when we do engage many seem to favor the titty blocking technique. Much of what we earned rushing today was a result of breaking tackles or making an unblocked defender miss, not because we were having our way up front and opening big holes. I'm afraid that if we go that route, defenses will load the box and physically beat us up. Just my two cents.

Offense has problems at every position but running back (tho if they continue to fumble then they join the rest). QB makes the same mistakes every week, WR's run wrong routes, drop passes and don't block but it all begins up front. The mistakes at QB and WR wouldn't be felt as much if we had an even average offensive line. Fixing that should be first priority. They are tough to watch.