• The KillerFrogs

Can the Big East Football Teams Split From the Others?

Big Frog II

Split from the basketball schools.

If so, now is the time so quality football teams can be added to protect the AQ status. Just pick the highest ranked non-AQ schools, and you should be safe. Adding Boise, AF, Navy, UH, etc will raise your numbers above the ACC.

I really believe the basketball schools are doing their best to hinder adding enough teams.

Stiff Arm Frog

I agree with you, and I think they should do this as soon as possible if they want to remain a serious football league.

The problem is that the only way for the football schools to separate themselves would be to leave the league and form a new conference. In addition to being on the hook for a whole mountain of exit fees, legally the BCS bid would remain with the old conference and the "new" conference would have to reapply for AQ status. Without Syracuse and Pitt, I'm not sure that they would get it.

If it were up to me, I'd leave right now and add SMU and UCF. Then see if you can get Army and Navy, and try to blow up the Big12 by poaching the Kansas schools before they can do it to us. I don't think that'll happen, though, because Marinatto only cares about basketball. Which is why I think the school presidents need to take action into their own hands and do it themselves.

BABYFACE

Split should have been done this past year after TCU was added and 3 more schools added to bring to 12. Now, they shouldn't split but the BB schools but can be told sit down and shut up. BE needs to stabilize first then split when it is advantageous enough for additional all sports schools can be brought in. BE had a window of opportunity between Jan thru July to make the move. Hindsight is 20-20.

ZeeFrog

i just read something about this. its a voting rights issue within the conference. simply the basketball schools have the voting leverage over the football schools. so the FB schools are 'short' with regard to any significant decision regarding the bigeast conference.

in 2003 when the ACC raided the conference there was a compromise made. In order to maintain balance in voting rights, the basketball schools approved the additions of Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida, that kept football and Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers and WVU. (the FB schools)

Next the football schools compromised and allowed DePaul and Marquette to enter the league. thats how the BE ended up with such a wacky conference. i guess at the time everyone was in love in the conference.

so now the catholic schools hold the leverage and the FB schools by the short-hairs. it seems to me it would be unwise on the part of the FB schools to add schools that play basketball too. that's why you may see the new FB schools playing only FB; in preparation for a separation. also holding Syracuse and Pitt to the conference 27 month depart would allow the BE football schools to add other non-basketball schools and then transition to a separate conference with a new name.

it would seem the basketball schools can leave anytime they want and form their own league. Not sure that would be wise on their part. another side of this is the BB schools could force unwanted schools upon the football schools which would be unwise. (talk about lawyer up)

actually adding the service academies is a good move. the FB schools might gain some BCS leverage. in other words - it wouldnt be a good idea to take away BCS access to a conference containing navy or air force, it might piss someone off in the government. and their might be a real look at the bc$.

and if i recall the BB schools can keep the BigEast brand. which in the end is a good thing for the FB schools. the other issue is the NCAA/ / BCS requiements which i think has been 'muted' by actions to keep the WAC in business (i think).

so all this waiting by the FB schools may make more Cents (play on words). anyway it seems logical to me but what do i know.

(i'll hunt for the story)