• The KillerFrogs

Can someone explain why baseball only has 11.7 or so scholarships???

IMO, football should be carved out of Title IX altogether. Technically, there is nothing preventing a female from playing on the football team. A few actually have. Almost all other sports have men's and women's teams available to divide up the genders. This does not exist for football.

iowa_frog

During the Davidson v TAMU Super Regional they were talking about how Davidson only has three baseball scholarships divided over about 12 players. The average for the Atlantic 10, Davidson's conference, is 9...below the 11.7 maximum.

Pretty crazy considering that JUCOs can award 24 baseball scholarships...and NAIA 12.

Ray Finkle

A kid should not be held back from attending his/her dream school because their parents aren't affluent enough to send them on partial scholarship to TCU, Vandy, Rice, etc. It's an unfair advantage for the state schools and cheats kids who have done their part on the field to achieve their goal.

Yes, I realize a kid and go get a loan but graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is not the best way to enter the working world.

A kid should not be held back from attending his/her dream school because their parents aren't affluent enough to send them on partial scholarship to TCU, Vandy, Rice, etc. It's an unfair advantage for the state schools and cheats kids who have done their part on the field to achieve their goal.

Yes, I realize a kid and go get a loan but graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is not the best way to enter the working world.

I appreciate your point, but your examples here are actually THE example of the problem for TCU. If a kid wants to go to TCU, Vandy, or Rice, and each school offers a half scholarship, the amount of additional aid he would get from Rice or Vandy to cover the remaining cost would go substantially beyond what TCU would be able to do. Way more scholarship dollars for need and merit at those institutions vs. TCU.

BABYFACE

This is my biggest fear about keeping Schloss. Friends' kids are big into baseball down in the Spring Klein area and I have heard from a few that they have heard TCU was not a consideration for some kids on travel teams (especially from Corpus and lower Valley) due to money. Half scholarship to TCU leaves a pretty big bill compared to a half to UT or A&M. Schloss with 24 could freaking wreck shop.

Schloss has been recruiting players for some time now that have the ability to pay. That is why there are out of state players on the roster. Bigger pool on a national basis.

He didn't leave then due to this, so I don't see it now.

flyfishingfrog

as a parent - if you could afford to pay, where would you want your son to play ball - at a school that has been to 4 straight CWS and has a staff like TCU or would you rather save some money and have your son go to UT, A&M, or Tech - where they have good programs with some success (ok well maybe not UT lately) but not as much success as we have had?

I can't see any parent that can afford to spend the money sacrificing the quality of the opportunity just to save some cash.

So basically, it comes down to casting the net wide enough to find enough qualified candidates that can afford it.

Then the only problem you run into is if another school that has the level of success TCU has also offers AND is cheaper in total due to overall cost less academic aid/scholarships

If you think about it that way - parents can afford it, so they will want the best for their son - then we are not really competiting against a lot of schools to begin with - its just that the total pool of candidates is smaller and some really good ball players are not really options right out of the gate.

Academic scholarships can be added on if the players qualify at the same levels as any other student. Not sure if need based aid can be figured in when an athletic scholarship is involved. But if parents can afford to support baseball on a select or traveling team, they may not qualify for much need based aid.

Are football scholarships only 100%? It seems like at times I have heard of some schools getting in trouble for monkeying around with Pell grants or similar.

Pharm Frog

as a parent - if you could afford to pay, where would you want your son to play ball - at a school that has been to 4 straight CWS and has a staff like TCU or would you rather save some money and have your son go to UT, A&M, or Tech - where they have good programs with some success (ok well maybe not UT lately) but not as much success as we have had?

I can't see any parent that can afford to spend the money sacrificing the quality of the opportunity just to save some cash.

So basically, it comes down to casting the net wide enough to find enough qualified candidates that can afford it.

Then the only problem you run into is if another school that has the level of success TCU has also offers AND is cheaper in total due to overall cost less academic aid/scholarships

If you think about it that way - parents can afford it, so they will want the best for their son - then we are not really competiting against a lot of schools to begin with - its just that the total pool of candidates is smaller and some really good ball players are not really options right out of the gate.

As a parent, I would want my kid to go where he could obtain a preparatory and rigorous degree in his field of interest, where he would best fit in and have an opportunity to play, and would be coached by a staff that are demonstrable developers of talent. Personally, I think you are putting a real premium on those CWS appearances. Those are certainly valuable marketing and recruiting achievements but I think that most kids would be delighted to be invited to join the UT, A&M, Tech, Okie Lite, and similar programs that may not have made four consecutive trips to Omaha but are still high profile and successful programs.

Your last statement is the tough part -- smaller pool of talented and viable candidates from which to draw. Gets tougher when some of the fish in this smaller pond decide to swim in the pro-ball pond instead. CJS and staff have to thread a pretty small needle it seems to me.

To Pharm's point....I loved playing baseball growing up. Most of the teams I played on were not big winners, but it was still a lot of fun to play, and I got some good stuff out of it. Although we are mostly pretty chauvinistic toward TCU here, plenty of kids get life changing educations and have great experiences with great role models at other schools, too. Going to the CWS is great, but probably is only a footnote in most of their life stories.