• The KillerFrogs

Can Somebody Please 'Splain It

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
How can a program under-use the Tight End the way we seem to?
Hell, didn't Kelly Blackwell play for Our Heroes?
Didn't he set a national record for more receptions than any other TE in the entire NCA of A ?
Don't we have an efficient and accurate QB in CP-4 his-ownself?
Don't we have a good load of talent at the TE position?
Why can all these factors not jibe to get more production from this position?
Ya'd think, around The Fort ,three receptions would be the career average.
Hells Bells! Say whatever else you want to about the guy not bein' in college but in the NF of L instead, but even Tony Romo knows how to get the ball to his Tight End. Tony Romo, sports fans!
And our TCU brain trust can't figure that play out?
BYU used to make a livin' of the TE pass play?
Are the Big -12 linebackers all that much and a bag of chips?
The TE pass play used to be the mark of a real offensive juggernaut.
The TCU juggernaut must have run out of jugger or somethin'.
Can somebody please 'splain how come this is?
Anybody?

I mean, anybody besides Roddog!

Well, anybody besides Roddog, and Maniac!

Well, anybody besides Roddog, Maniac, and Steel!

Well...anybody but Roddog, Maniac, Steel and anybody with "4prez " in his name

abell2do

Actually I'd love to know why we recruit 4 star TE, and they hardly get a pass. Don't tell me we can't get a mismatch, or we opt to the WR. Major programs utilize the heck out of TE, but we just use them for blocking. It's asinine!!!

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
abell2do said:
Actually I'd love to know why we recruit 4 star TE, and they hardly get a pass. Don't tell me we can't get a mismatch, or we opt to the WR. Major programs utilize the heck out of TE, but we just use them for blocking. It's asinine!!!
Yes! What he said! It reeks of exactitude in expressing my sentiments.

By the way, death is too good for Steel. He should be made to read Ken Starr court briefs instead ... until blood oozes from every orifice.

Punter1

Lemme answer this quickly as a HS offensive coach, or at least my opinion on the matter.

We have not had a TE in recent memory that has been a better pass catching option then what would be the 3rd or 4th WR we could put on the field. Plus OCs now LOVE running the ball outta No-TE sets cuz it opens/spreads the field and takes an LB off the field usually.

When we get some NFL-caliber TEs or our WR corps gets thin to the point where at worst our 3rd or 4th best pass catching is a TE...then we'll see more passes to TEs. Maybe G. Gilbert will turn into that for us.

Taco10

West Coast Johnny said:
So who do we take the ball away from to give it to the TE?  Please name the names that don't deserve their touches?
I don't like the guy...but that is a great question.

HG73

Our total offensive numbers have been good, how they are divided between positions makes no difference to me.  This isn't going to be another "OC-Play calling" thread, is it?  What a waste of time.  "If our OC had only called this play we would have won".  Sheesh.

cheese83

Once our current crop gets bigger & better at blocking I'd expect our offense to incorporate them more. A guy like Gilbert can start on the line then motion out to a flex set. Would cause all kinds of issues for opposing defenses.

Limp Lizard

We run our plays to win the game.  We throw to the TE if that is the best play.  Otherwise we throw to the plethora of WR's we have.  Unless we throw all passes like Houston, we have to take away throws to the very talented WR's to throw to a TE.

Way over rated topic.

East Coast

Tier 1
We have had decent tight ends but do not design many plays where they are in the first couple reads. Last 2 good receiving tigjht ends have been Reagan and Matt Schobel (and he is over 10 years gone)