• The KillerFrogs

Cam Newton in academic trouble

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I think Auburn loses to Bama in the Iron Bowl and possibly loses again in the SEC Championship to Florida / South Carolina.

Where does LSU fit in all this mess?

LSU needs Auburn to lose to Georgia AND Alabama to make the SEC title game. Auburn has the tiebraker, since they beat LSU. Of course, LSU also has to win their last 3, which includes a trip to the land of the Root Hog.

gdu

In terms of getting to the SEC Championship Game.
Maybe I'm confused, but you said Auburn loses and then maybe loses again in the SECCG. If Auburn loses in the SECCG, LSU wasn't playing in it. LSU lost to Auburn so they need Auburn to lose twice to get in the SECCG.

South Texas Frog

Maybe I'm confused, but you said Auburn loses and then maybe loses again in the SECCG. If Auburn loses in the SECCG, LSU wasn't playing in it. LSU lost to Auburn so they need Auburn to lose twice to get in the SECCG.

It was a second sentence / separate thought...how does LSU get in the SEC Championship Game over Auburn?

RSF answered my question though.

Goo

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1289316109' post='685038']
200k was supposedly the asking price. Wonder what the estimate was on getting the church up to code?
[/quote]

I have friend who is Ole Miss booster and has recorded conversation of Cam's dad saying Auburn was ready to pay $180k and asked if he could top it.

Goo

Yea. I haven't heard recording and have been super busy so haven't seen it in media anywhere but assuming tape is not out yet

Opintel

Moderators
Oh, what a nice Federal Offense... :ph34r:

...he might not want to claim ownership of the recording. Unless he said that the conversation was being recorded.

Or, did he find it in a trash can at the YMCA? :tongue:

Frogenstein

Not up to date on the federal recording laws but it is legal in some states and not legal in others. Maybe someone can ask Linda Tripp.

I'm wondering if this will be enough of a distraction to cause Auburn to slip up.

I've been listing to WJOX lately since Cowboys talk wears me out and Rangers talks has died down. The Auburn inbreds crack me up. Every single one of them think this is a conspiracy designed to derail Auburn's season. Maybe there's some legs to that thought but the fact remains that this kid has a shady background and where there's smoke there's fire. In light of the Reggie Bush fiasco, the NCAA needs to do their due diligence. The host brought up something Chizik said earlier today. HCGC said "you can ask his little league coach, his junior high coach, his high school coach, his JC coach, and anyone at Auburn, and they'll tell you he is one upstanding indivual." I guess he conveniently left out asking anyone at FU???

Lots of the Auburn callers are afraid this will be a distraction...or course, a distraction to anyone in Alabama is a piece of string with a rubber ball at the end...

PurplePutt

Oh, what a nice Federal Offense... :ph34r:

...he might not want to claim ownership of the recording. Unless he said that the conversation was being recorded.

Or, did he find it in a trash can at the YMCA? :tongue:

I ain't no lawyer (thank God) but don't think it is a federal crime (or any crime) to record a conversation without the other party knowing it. I just think that the conversation might not be admissible in court as evidence. Don't see why it couldn't be used to expose a pay for play accusation though.

Any lawyers or other self proclaimed legal experts please feel free to correct me (like I needed to say that).

FrogFrog

Earlier post was correct. Some states it is a crime to record a conversation without both parties being aware of the recording. Other states (including Texas), only one party needs to be aware of the recording. If the recording involves parties in different states, it gets really hairy and could go either way.

DannyAdelante

I have no idea why this was leaked. Clearly a lot of academic institutions have cheating go unreported (see Auburn, Cadillac Williams). I've even heard instances of it going on at TCU (just not with high profile players - as far as I know).

It has no bearing on his current eligibility. This would never have come out if he and Auburn weren't doing so well. Whoever leaked it might want to have a look at this 1974 Buckley Act, which covers the release of student records without consent.
If Newton ends up getting in trouble for this, you know there's going to be a lawsuit.

Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (Buckley Amendment)

D

Daniel Plainview

I have no idea why this was leaked. Clearly a lot of academic institutions have cheating go unreported (see Auburn, Cadillac Williams). I've even heard instances of it going on at TCU (just not with high profile players - as far as I know).

It has no bearing on his current eligibility. This would never have come out if he and Auburn weren't doing so well. Whoever leaked it might want to have a look at this 1974 Buckley Act, which covers the release of student records without consent.
If Newton ends up getting in trouble for this, you know there's going to be a lawsuit.

Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (Buckley Amendment)

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by cheating? Are we talking about coaches going and changing grades? or are we talking about the player getting caught copying someone elses test? because if it's the latter, I'm just about 100% positive that it is not only athletes who cheat as I saw most people at TCU cheat in one way or another at sometime in their career there.

Not that cheating is acceptable, it' isn't, but to hold athletes to a higher standard about cheating when it runs rampant in colleges is slightly unfair.

All that said. I hope Auburn burns to the ground because of all of this.