• The KillerFrogs

Cal kills baseball program

NetFrog2

Sad, especially since they made the postseason last year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news?slug=kr-caldropsbsb092810

California’s athletic budgetary issues took their toll on the baseball program Tuesday as university officials notified coach Dave Esquer and the team the program was getting cut as a result of the athletic department tightening its budget, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

AEAfrog

Wow. I knew that California schools were having budgetary problems. I didn't expect it to creep up to programs like Berkley though. Hopefully we won't see Fresno or SDSU cutting programs any time soon.

NORMLFROG

Wow. I knew that California schools were having budgetary problems. I didn't expect it to creep up to programs like Berkley though. Hopefully we won't see Fresno or SDSU cutting programs any time soon.

I think the Cal State system is in even worse shape than the UC system. Any Cali Frogs have any insight into this?

NF

FROGDADDY

Just in case there is any doubt about which sport is king, they didn't have any trouble scraping together $321 million to upgrade the football stadium there.

Sangria Wine

I bet a miraculous fund raising campaign gets going and saves it at the eleventh hour. Hard to imagine baseball alums allowing it to happen.

frogbyproxy

But if it isn't a fund raising scheme think about how many players will be looking for a new home :biggrin: We need a couple more pitcher's and sluggers.

This was all over the Bay Area sports station this afternoon. The Cal fans are blaming their AD.

They are saying she let this go to the boiling point before they heard anything. They said they would get emails or letters just saying things like "budgets are getting cut, if you can donate please do." But nothing specific about "this program will be eliminated if we don't have $X by X." Poor communication.

As for Frogdaddy's statement about the football facility, that's actually pretty funny if you knew how difficult it really was to make that project happen. That thing has been proposed for 10+ years. It took forever to get the funding. And once they did and everything was ready to go, hippies jumped in the trees and delayed construction for over a year. They nearly lost Tedford because of it, he was fed up. (although one could argue that might have been a good thing)

Besides, the building is also a new Athletics workout center - something they have to go off campus to do now (they have to ride a bus to go work out). So it wasn't just football related. The entire department needed it. And a lot of alums are saying their money went to that project and they don't have much more to spend.

A couple other callers said the other departments at the school HAVE been threatening that they were going to be eliminated if someone didn't step in, so they gave money to those departments. Everyone thought Athletics was relatively safe because the AD never communicated the same urgency the other departments did.

Just saw the local news lead off with it. They basically said what we already know. But the baseball program seems the most doomed. It drains the most money and returns less revenue.

Rugby, for example, has a better shot at being saved because they pay for themselves and even bring in $300,000 in revenue (Cal Rugby is a big deal, believe it or not). Rugby has already been declared a club sport today, so it's technically saved. But they think they can get last minute funding to get at least partial scholarships.

The baseball coach said he's heard from several big donors, but he said he thinks it's too late. He said he wants to fight it, but there's no process to fight. I think that was a dig at the AD. Had they known they were on the chopping block, the coach could have called those big donors. But the decision was made behind closed doors without his knowledge...so it seems. He looked pretty depressed.