• The KillerFrogs

Cal is swimming in debt: TCU did it right

Big Frog II

The whole state is in the red.  Yes, we did do it the right way.  If you have some bad seasons, and people start hiding their checkbooks, you could find yourself in big trouble.  By the way, why did it cost so much to redo their stadium in the first place.

MAcFroggy

If I had enough money and young enough family members I would get the lifetime seats for $40K with free parking and extra amenities.  Definitely expensive, but like the article said, a majority of the purchase is tax deductible.  Also if you had a son or daughter who was just finishing school at Cal (22 years old), lifetime seats could be upwards of 50 years in premium seats.

Also, makes you feel good about the TCU athletic department.  Small yet efficient and not a burden to the academic side of campus.  What more can you ask for.

Get Your Frogs Up

Big Frog II said:
The whole state is in the red.  Yes, we did do it the right way.  If you have some bad seasons, and people start hiding their checkbooks, you could find yourself in big trouble.  By the way, why did it cost so much to redo their stadium in the first place.

I believe one variable that added to the cost was making the stadium earthquake proof.

EDIT:  Here's an example:

Large shock absorbers, part of the seismic retrofit, allows sections of the new California Memorial Stadium at the University of California, Berkeley move independently of each other in case of an earthquake and are photographed in Berkeley, Calif., Friday, Aug. 24, 2012.

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2012/08/24/no-bad-seat-in-the-house-and-cals-new-memorial-stadium/#15

West Coast Johnny

Cal's dumb.  To put that much money into that antique that sits on an earthquake fault.   The 49ers, Raiders and Cal all need / needed stadiums.  They are too stupid to do this correctly.

cheese83

Pretty sure the codes that must be followed to build in Cali are insane. My buddy who works for Levi's told me the renovations in a Cali location for one of their stores is astronomical. Apparently you have to jump through hoops to get anything done.

jack the frog

That was a school in bad financial shape before the renovation. I was very surprised when I heard of the stadium plans. Always seems to shock folks when massive debt becomes burdensome.

Opintel

Moderators
Ground wiggles...and this is one very good reason that 130,000 folks invaded moved into the FTW/Dallas area last year. It's better here, forgetting the occasional tornado.

Screw 'em.

mrnicefrog

jack the weed said:
That was a school in bad financial shape before the renovation. I was very surprised when I heard of the stadium plans. Always seems to shock folks when massive debt becomes burdensome.
^Baylor^

TCUSA

cornutum said:
Out of sight debt is how the state of Cali rolls.
Yep.  And they scream about "sustainability" when they want to tell you what light bulb to use, what food to eat, and what car to drive.  But government spending?  Eh, not so much.

count_biffula

Now that the fed is about to stop doing their pump and dump shell game, it seems as if interest rates will start rising.  Wonder how this will affect things.

ImwithBU

mrnicefrog said:
Well if you say so, difference is Baylor Stadium doesnt cost that much, we are not in a financial crisis, we are not having problems selling our seats, and the financial burden of paying for our stadium is not on the taxpayers.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
West Coast Johnny said:
Cal's dumb.  To put that much money into that antique that sits on an earthquake fault.   The 49ers, Raiders and Cal all need / needed stadiums.  They are too stupid to do this correctly.

Exactly.  This stadium isn't just close to a major fault.  The fault bisects the stadium from end zone to end zone.  There were huge cracks in the concrete at the fault barrier.

Memorial Stadium

Further north the fault passes under the lengthwise midline of the football field of California Memorial Stadium at the University of California, Berkeley. Fault creep since 1923 offset the original walls at the north and south ends 13 inches (33 cm).
Extensive upgrades over a recent eighteen-month interval have addressed the life safety issues,[34] including replacement of the football players' facilities, and an extensive seismic retrofit of those sections not subject to fault shearing. The work was the subject of several lawsuits from neighborhood and environmental groups, who were concerned about such extensive construction on top of a major earthquake fault. During the reconstruction, the Cal Bears have played at AT&T Park in San Francisco for one season.[35] Some information concerning the retrofit is available here.[36] The modifications completed in Summer 2012 involved the cutting of the stadium into four independent sections, followed by the demolition of the two segments directly over the rubble zone. The north and south ends are formed of new bridging sections that rest upon floating mats (foundations that do not penetrate the surface, rather sitting upon plastic sheets over level graded gravel and sand) where they pass over and near the fault, with appropriate sliding connections between the sections for the safety of spectators and the ability to absorb the relative rotation between the east and west fixed sections and the and new north and south mobile sections.

628x471.jpg

FrogsMcGee

I work in commercial real estate in the Bay Area and yes construction costs here are crazy high compared to similar projects that I worked on when living in Texas. Everything from raw materials to labor to code compliance and on an on are a TON higher here.