• The KillerFrogs

Cable TV Alternatives

cdsfrog

What does being a tree hugger have to do with Cable?

I'm not. Some things being regulated have nothing to do with politics. More so common sense and safety of others.

I'm quite happy for almost everything to be regulated less just some things require regulation because you can't trust the companies as they have time and time again. It's not even really debatable. Thousands of cases prove it.

Also same tactic as always zero argument against net neutrality because there isn't one.

talor

I just priced out keeping Uverse internet but downgrading to lowest TV channel offering+ adding SLINGTV and it would save me $30-50 per month. I'd lose a handful of channels that I like (Discovery and American Heroes) but nothing that is a dealbreaker.

cdsfrog

I just priced out keeping Uverse internet but downgrading to lowest TV channel offering+ adding SLINGTV and it would save me $30-50 per month. I'd lose a handful of channels that I like (Discovery and American Heroes) but nothing that is a dealbreaker.

Also if u r not on contract look it up as though you are a new customer. Internet deals exist for new customers. You can often cancel and then sign up as a new customer. Even easier if u live with someone.

Cord cutting used to stand for ditching "cable" the product, not the actual cord, and only using content sources like Netflix. The industry stole the term and reworked it to mean "cutting the literal cord" and using a different type of "cable" service. Sling, Vue, Now, these are all "cable" products via the internet with skinny-er bundles and thus cheaper prices. Functionally, if you "ditch uVerse" and switch to Sling TV you are simply buying a smaller set of channels (thus saving money) and getting your OTA channels a different way.

For me, I've tried and used every cord cutter service mentioned here (I'm in the industry), and none can replicate for me the quality of product that modern cable offers. And again, for me, I would rather pay $150 /month for a quality uVerse 1GB internet product and quality channel package and DVR (plus HBO free) that is super easy to use vs. saving $50-100 a month for a lower quality product that is harder to use.

Don't take this as a criticism of your actions, y'all can do whatever you want, but I do think the whole action of cord cutting is more about "revenge" against big bad cable more than it is a smart play as a consumer. That's just my two cents.

French Frog

I have nine T.V.'s in my house so how can I use an alternative that covers all my T.V.'s? I just have cable, internet, phone, and security alarm bundle with Comcast and would love to save money. Anyone have any solutions for me?
1. If you have a cell phone, dump the home phone.
2. Call around for small independent home security/monitoring companies for the best price to monitor your already installed system.
3. Dump your cable TV.
4. Get the fastest internet available in your area. I have 350Mbps in Oklahoma. Some areas of DFW have 1 Gbps service.
5. Get a high speed modem with a powerful multi-channel router such as an ASUS brand router.
6. Get wifi extenders to place in or near the most distant TV rooms from the main router.
7. Purchase Roku, Fire Stick or Box, Google Chrome Cast, or other suitable streaming device for each TV.
8. Decide on a streaming service, such as Playstation Vue, Sling TV or the new YouTube if available. (I have PS Vue.) You can also use the streaming services from Amazon if you have a Prime account.
9. Don't forget to get a high definition over the air antenna to get live TV from all your local stations. This is a must if you live in an area with bad weather, (like Oklahoma), or to view network sports on ABC, CBS, and NBC, etc., along with other local news if you care about that stuff.

Any questions, please ask.

Opintel

Moderators
GSR - you make some valid points. The current quality and ease of use of Charter (my current provider) is great.

The problem is really in the bundling of what I consider useless channels in with the ones I'd prefer. the bundle price reflects those extra channels, which I never watch. Not bundling or type bundling would be a better idea. The alternate choices are PS Vue, etc., which seem to offer better bundles for my desires.

The traditional cable industry is losing customers , and therefore money, because of this bundling. The answer is out there, some "brave" cable company just needs to make it work.

cdsfrog

Cord cutting used to stand for ditching "cable" the product, not the actual cord, and only using content sources like Netflix. The industry stole the term and reworked it to mean "cutting the literal cord" and using a different type of "cable" service. Sling, Vue, Now, these are all "cable" products via the internet with skinny-er bundles and thus cheaper prices. Functionally, if you "ditch uVerse" and switch to Sling TV you are simply buying a smaller set of channels (thus saving money) and getting your OTA channels a different way.

For me, I've tried and used every cord cutter service mentioned here (I'm in the industry), and none can replicate for me the quality of product that modern cable offers. And again, for me, I would rather pay $150 /month for a quality uVerse 1GB internet product and quality channel package and DVR (plus HBO free) that is super easy to use vs. saving $50-100 a month for a lower quality product that is harder to use.

Don't take this as a criticism of your actions, y'all can do whatever you want, but I do think the whole action of cord cutting is more about "revenge" against big bad cable more than it is a smart play as a consumer. That's just my two cents.

Yeah just depends on what you want. I was going to cut the cord and then Verizon screwed up and gave me 300 channels instead of just local channels. Paid $100 for 100mb internet and the channels for 1 year till I sold house.

Thing is if u r a heavy Netflix user these interfaces are very similar. All about what matters to you from a cost benefit standpoint

French Frog

Most of the KF.c community probably know this but just in case you don't. You can write off the cost of your internet and computers, if you itemize your deductions and if you do any financial work on your computer and over your internet. Such as email your accountant, check your portfolio, check your bank account or any other financial activity. This also applies to doing your taxes, or sending information about your taxes to an advisor, or bank.

While I am on the topic of taxes. You know the giant safe you bought to keep all of your firearms locked away? Well if you have a safe and you keep important financial records in that safe it can be written off on your taxes. Like I said in the beginning of this post, most of you probably know this already, but ask your tax advisor.

I'm not. Some things being regulated have nothing to do with politics. More so common sense and safety of others.

I'm quite happy for almost everything to be regulated less just some things require regulation because you can't trust the companies for [ Finebaum ] as they have time and time again. It's not even really debatable. Thousands of cases prove it.

Also same tactic as always zero argument against net neutrality because there isn't one.
So what you meant to say was nothing. Carry on and return to discussing cable alternatives

cdsfrog

huh? no I said minimum standards require regulations because too many companies are run by evil people that dont deserve to live. That has nothing to do with democrat or republican. If you can force them to not be aholes without regulation, Im all for it. Hell im in FAVOR of it.

And politics aside I love this thread. Great advice from Frenchfrog across the board, on equipment and taxes. And excellent counter arguments for why people keep cable. Another one is premium channel bundling. If you like a ton of movie channels I would wait until streaming TV matures, better premium packages including all of Starz, TMC, Epic, Showtime, Cinemax, HBO etc will be here by 2018 or sooner I bet.

Or if youre cheap and want to be do illegal things (im not endorsing only verifying) I can confirm kodi works wonders.

Opintel

Moderators
The Antennas Direct indoor OTA antenna (ECL-A) worked great, after moving it around a bit. Looks crappy hanging on the wall, but I'll hang a picture up there, or something. Four+ stars, for sure.

French Frog

The Antennas Direct indoor OTA antenna (ECL-A) worked great, after moving it around a bit. Looks crappy hanging on the wall, but I'll hang a picture up there, or something. Four+ stars, for sure.
Put that antenna up in the attic, if you have one. They work great from up there.

1. If you have a cell phone, dump the home phone.
2. Call around for small independent home security/monitoring companies for the best price to monitor your already installed system.
3. Dump your cable TV.
4. Get the fastest internet available in your area. I have 350Mbps in Oklahoma. Some areas of DFW have 1 Gbps service.
5. Get a high speed modem with a powerful multi-channel router such as an ASUS brand router.
6. Get wifi extenders to place in or near the most distant TV rooms from the main router.
7. Purchase Roku, Fire Stick or Box, Google Chrome Cast, or other suitable streaming device for each TV.
8. Decide on a streaming service, such as Playstation Vue, Sling TV or the new YouTube if available. (I have PS Vue.) You can also use the streaming services from Amazon if you have a Prime account.
9. Don't forget to get a high definition over the air antenna to get live TV from all your local stations. This is a must if you live in an area with bad weather, (like Oklahoma), or to view network sports on ABC, CBS, and NBC, etc., along with other local news if you care about that stuff.

Any questions, please ask.

Thanks a ton great information. Why doesn't a cable company or web t.v. company just offer a price for each channel separately? If you pick the one's you like then just pay for those? Offer a fee for converter, DVR, Storage, On Demand, etc. Let the marketplace decide which channels suck and no one wants. I hate paying for channels I don't need or want to watch. Hell I hate having to scroll through them all to find what I want to watch. Who is the problem forcing bundles down our throats?