• The KillerFrogs

BYU needs to pack their bags

HFrog1999

My thoughts are that we need to be in a conference where there are some local rivalries with schools that actually want to play us. The prevailing thought is that Rice, Houston, SMU, etc. are small time and we are better than they are. I think that this "we are better than that" attitude that abounds in college football is ruining it. It results in mis-matched programs like Baylor in the Big 12. It also results in programs like TCU trying to forge rivalries with BYU, Utah, Boise, etc. - far flung schools that just happen to be in the same vagabond conference. Its impossible to build upon this foundation.

TV is the big player here. That's why conferences are more interested in spreading out and adding TV markets than regional rivalries. We want fans in the stands, TV wants fans sitting at home 3 states away watching commercials.

'96 Coug

You are thinking logically and your thought process is what I have believed during this whole process. However, I have learned along they way, Provo is dellusional and acting illogical. Fan bases are one thing, but a nutjob Admin and AD is where the problem lies. Their egos are too big and thus for them to stay, they will demand unfair and unjust concessions.

"Nutjob Admin?"

You don't have a clue to all the facts (neither do I), so a label like this is quite presumptuous and egotistical.

Independence is about 2 things: exposure and finances - both of which have been hampered tremendously by the MWC.

No, BYU is not Notre Dame. That doesn't mean we can't significantly improve dramatically on our situation.

I would see how it all plays out before calling anybody a nutjob.

West Coast Johnny

Well, BYU has allienated itself from the MWC. Its decimated the WAC. The PAC 10 doesn't want you do to their own biggotted reasons. Your main rival is going to the PAC 10 - and they don't even want to play you anymore. BYU is obviously trying to figure out a way into the Big 12. You've applied a fresh layer of poop-shoot lube and its romantic looking at you bend-over for Bevo. Univ. of Texas like that sort of thing, just ask Baylor.

Buh-bye BYU! I'll miss your over-rated impact on our stength of schedule and the beat down we give you on an annual basis. I'll miss that but I'll get over it. Buh-bye.

froginaustin

I hope BYU stays, but

with NO CONCESSIONS to the

Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs Nutjobs :laugh: in the BYU administration or leadership.

If they have to step on the rest of the conference to be persuaded to stay, then we should wish them will in their new arrangements. Sure it would hurt to lose BYU, but I think it would hurt the MWC worse to keep a school in the conference that can't live by the conference arrangement.

And by the way I have no problem with them trying to better their situation. What makes them radioactive as far as I am concerned in their participation in an attempted arrangement with Karl Benson's WAC to lure other programs out of the MWC, reducing the MWC to an unsustainable membership number.

BABYFACE

Boise st: "Well looky there, BYU has hitched up it's wagons and going Indy."

TCU: " Yep, and is that death I smell in their wagon?"

MWC: " Well, bye ."

TCUFrogs

Doesn't matter. Let em go, if they want to go. Or stay. Who cares? They are looking after their own self interest, or trying to. Only natural.......even if wrong-headed.

TCU is going to take care of TCU. That is all that matters. Very soon it will be evident!

joejordan

Yeah, I'd say Nutjob is appropriate. Perhaps the collective Nutjobia is even more appropriate. Kinda Jim Bakker-like nutty. Or L. Ron Hubbard-ish.

InnerloopFrog

Self promotion and self preservation are fine as we have to admit that is an unfortunate reality nowadays and we are all probably somewhat guilty to varying degrees. But admit that is the driving force of your existence.

BYU's honor code and beliefs that lead them to ask for special considerations, etc are all fine and good til they throw those out the window with covert meetings that destroy entire conferences and making back room deals throwing scraps of their program to the less fotunate like the WAC. Dear WAC, You can't have the biggest piece of our pie, but be our step children for our own purposes.

That's my beef with them.

YA

Back from vacation.

With Fresno and Nevada & if Houston is in(details cross fingers soon)---the parameters of the current TV deal are null and void.

Renegotiation has occurred and are occurring, esp. IF Houston comes aboard. BYU will get their deal and so will TCU and others to broadcast home games on other channels if outside the chosen games, ie the big match-ups predetermined prior to the start of the season. You might even see a few games sold on other providers broadcasts if those details can be done.

BYU lost a lot by the leadership that is the Hair. The only way this does not transpire are the folks in Provo who honestly think that the world revolves around them. They do have a substantial history of cutting and running at any sign of resistance that is them so who knows what the final outcome will be.

AggieAngst

If BYU goes, HOUSTON replaces them very nicely. BYU isnt really better than HOUSTON.

BYU fans today are creaming themselves over the statements the Notre Dame Ath Director made yestereday. He said - "If Byu goes Independent we would look into scheduling them every year". Byu fans are all having hot flashes and organisms over on their board about those comments. What Notre Dame did not say in that
statement (that was alluded to a few days before) was that it will likely be a 3 for 2, or possibly even a 3 for 1 (Notre Dame gets three home games and Byu only gets two, or possibly just one).

What Byu fans also dont realize and are too blinded to see, is that they are setting themselves up for a probable very big fall. As mediocre as Notre Dame is, Byu will most likely lose to them in ND stadium and that is where most of the games will be. Texas wil destroy Byu. No Mtn West team will ever schedule Byu again and Pac
10 teams have already stated they dont really like Byu and dont want to play them as an Indy, so Byu will have to go to the East Coast to find teams like South Florida
and Florida Atlantic to play. Some of those teams can jump up and bite you, so I can easily see Byu losing 5 games. No decent bowl will chase a 6-6 Independent
Byu or even a 5 loss INDY team. If Byu somehow qualifes for a bowl game, Byu will end up playing in the Joes Lasagna and Pizza Shop Bowl in Detroit Mich in December, while watching Utah play in a great PAC10 bowl game, watching Boise St play in a great bowl game and watching Tcu in the BCS Orange Bowl Game.

Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of arrogant delusional backstabbers.

I used to dislike Stanford a great deal and Cal too because they publicly stated they were against Byu ever being in the Pac10. I always sided with Byu fans and hated
Stanford and Cal for that bigotted viewpoint. After the backstabbing slimey dirty stunt Byu just pulled in trying to destroy the Mtn West Conf on their way out the door,
I now realize the wisdom of Stanford and Cal, and I like them now. I now detest the dishonest slimeball college that is called Byu. What underhanded SCUM they are.

I hope they go 5-7 in their first year as INDYS ! I also hope we kick their sorry dirtball azzzzes out of the Mtn West Cnf even if they announce they want to stay now.