• The KillerFrogs

BYU Cougars: Shutt Slams Door On Lobos

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=13872

[SIZE=14pt]Shutt Slams Door On Lobos[/SIZE]

by Ralph Zobell, BYU Athletic Communications

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (April 9, 2010)—Reliever Justin Shutt pitched comfortably for over four innings Friday night thanks to big hits from BYU teammates in a 13-5 victory over New Mexico.

Shutt, a junior, entered the game in the fourth and got a key doubleplay to end that inning, then cruised to a three-hit performance as he nabbed his second win of the year.

"Justin has been pitching very, very well," said BYU coach Vance Law. "He gave us a quality relief appearance. He and Coach (Bobby) Applegate have changed his delivery to three-quarters. When he came in that potentially could have been a big inning."

"I had fun, I knew I was going to throw a lot of ground ball pitches with my sinker and had my teammates behind me," said Shutt.

He got timely home runs by Alex Wolfe and Sean McNaughton along with a pair of doubles by Brandon Relf and doubles by Jonathan Cluff, Ryan Bernal and McNaughton and a triple by Austin Hall.

Bernal scored from first base on Cluff’s double which caromed off the centerfield wall in the third inning, closing the margin to 2-1. Cluff tied the game when he scored on Stephen Wells groundout to knot the game at 2-2.

A back-to-back single and a double by McNaughton and Bernal, respectively, gave BYU a 3-2 lead in the third.

In the sixth, McNaughton hit his second home run in two nights when he smacked one out to the deepest part of centerfield over 420-feet to put BYU up 4-2.

Wolfe belted a two-run homer around 440 feet in the seventh to score Relf who had led off with a double. Wolfe’s dinger put BYU up 6-2. McNaughton pounded a deep double in the alley to score Bryce Ayoso. McNaughton beat out a throw to home on Bernal’s single, increasing the lead to 8-2. Relf’s second double of the inning put BYU up 10-2. Relf scored on Dane Nielsen’s two-run single as the margin soared to 12-2.

"I'm pleased that we weren’t trying to pull balls," said Law. "The ball does carry well here and we were going up the middle. Nine of our 17 hits were for extra bases and it helped our pitchers to relax a bit as they gave us a nice cushion."

The Cougars once again pull within one of .500 with a 14-15 overall record and evened their mark at 4-4 in the Mountain West Conference, while UNM is 20-11 and 7-4. The rubber match of the three-game series concludes Saturday at noon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UNLV 6, Utah 0 » The host Utes (16-11, 5-2 MWC) struck out 10 times in getting shut out by the Rebels.