• The KillerFrogs

Breathing easier about the Big East's future

HUT-Frog

Keeping in mind that last spring the Pac 16 was a done deal, and then the next day it was a fleeting memory . . .

A&M is likely to wind up with major egg on its face Sunday night. Without a 14th team, no way those presidents are going to approve A&M straight out. At best, Aggies get a conditional approval, based on finding a 14th school.

MrSEC.com lays it out perfectly. FSU does not add to SEC television, and it would get resistance from Florida -- along with empathy support from Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. Clemson would present all the same challeneges as FSU.

Still cannot see where OU is not the 14th target. But that would require OSU as 15th, then a choice between Missouri and Texas Tech for 16th. However, Slive apparently does not want to be the catalyst for seismic shift like that.

If we believe Delaney -- which you have to take with some salt -- the Big Ten is done with expansion for the time being. Maybe the Pac 12 could come for UT, Tech, OU and OSU -- if the eastern schools could live with the LHN -- but it's geographic location would not necessarily force the SEC or Big Ten to move. In fact, it would benefit the Big East, which could grab the leftovers of the Big XII. (And kid yourself not, if that came about, Baylor would be included.)

Hoping FSU just says no right out. Maybe they will, with the enormous increase in TV revenue that the ACC is getting. But even if FSU says okay overnight, Slive is going to have a really tough sell on his hands to get the Seminoles in.

Eventually, A&M gets into the SEC. But, I don't think it is this week.

anom

i think more or less it all just hinges on what the rest of the B12 is going to do. If they add houston, everything pretty much stays as is.

On the other side, i think the only team that makes sense to make a move over there is florida st. i think florida would be more open to it than we are thinking here. different markets of florida, they already have to recruit each others turf, and creates a huge in state conference rival.

TCUdirtbag

This is just silly. The SEC will find a 14th team. The egg on A&M's face has nothing to do with any sort of hypothetical "if they find someone" conditional approval (which won't happen--they'll straight up admit them).

BelushiBob

In fact, it would benefit the Big East, which could grab the leftovers of the Big XII. (And kid yourself not, if that came about, Baylor would be included.)

This line just lost you all credibility. Baylor is on its own, and probably that would be the best thing for them.

PurplePutt

Hoping FSU just says no right out. Maybe they will, with the enormous increase in TV revenue that the ACC is getting..

What?? The ACC TV deal is probably going to be the worst of the AQ conferences when the BE deal is done.

Besides, VT should be the target if the SEC is looking for TV sets.

Waccy Frog

I think the ACC hangs together. They actually like and respect each other. Plust FSU and Clemson like the easier path to the NC game. I think the reason SEC is floating 14 (instead of 16) is they KNOW they can get to 14 with ATM and Mizzou, but they aren't sure they can 2 more from the east.

asleep003

Keeping in mind that last spring the Pac 16 was a done deal, and then the next day it was a fleeting memory . . .

A&M is likely to wind up with major egg on its face Sunday night. Without a 14th team, no way those presidents are going to approve A&M straight out. At best, Aggies get a conditional approval, based on finding a 14th school.

MrSEC.com lays it out perfectly. FSU does not add to SEC television, and it would get resistance from Florida -- along with empathy support from Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. Clemson would present all the same challeneges as FSU.

Still cannot see where OU is not the 14th target. But that would require OSU as 15th, then a choice between Missouri and Texas Tech for 16th. However, Slive apparently does not want to be the catalyst for seismic shift like that.

If we believe Delaney -- which you have to take with some salt -- the Big Ten is done with expansion for the time being. Maybe the Pac 12 could come for UT, Tech, OU and OSU -- if the eastern schools could live with the LHN -- but it's geographic location would not necessarily force the SEC or Big Ten to move. In fact, it would benefit the Big East, which could grab the leftovers of the Big XII. (And kid yourself not, if that came about, Baylor would be included.)

Hoping FSU just says no right out. Maybe they will, with the enormous increase in TV revenue that the ACC is getting. But even if FSU says okay overnight, Slive is going to have a really tough sell on his hands to get the Seminoles in.

Eventually, A&M gets into the SEC. But, I don't think it is this week.

Agree with most of your thread here.... also glad you left out WVU as there are only a few dozen flat screens in the state and only a few hundred box TVs. But nice athletic program... with butts in the stands.

But don't think A&M has to have a ready made ACC partner to get an SEC invite this week, as the State of Texas legislature wants that meeting(court hearing?) on Tues16th ... emplementing A&M's Mon.15th meeting of regents to give chancellor/AD full power to make decisions... which has emplemented all SEC Presidents to Meet Sun.14th in Birmingham to vote on the invitation(s).... all started/instigated by a few Texas legislators questioning the probable move. So the race is on !! Think A&M may very well get their official invite before the 2:00 meeting/hearing at the Capital building in Austin Tuesday.... Let's see.

Cheers !

Endless Purple

I agree but if FSU or Clemson don't add enough, how does WVU bring enough to the SEC table in terms of TV sets, etc.?
FSU and Clemson are in states where the SEC already has a presence. They have been quoted as saying they only want teams in different states.

People seem to forget that TVs don't only receive people's own schools. If you have Florida, you still braodcast to the entire state, not just Florida fans. Thus the overlap with FSU.

WVU and VT are in new states for the SEC. VT would be more appealing, IMO, however both schools have a whole new market area. Those new areas also do not just stop at state lines. For example some WVU fans probably live in Virginia and other neighboring states.

There is a lot of merit to the OP. Clemson and FSU are in states where the SEC already has a significant grip. VT, IMO, would be the ideal candidate but I'm not sure they would leave at this time.

In fact, it would benefit the Big East, which could grab the leftovers of the Big XII. (And kid yourself not, if that came about, Baylor would be included.)

Baylor ain't going anywhere but to purgatory.

Scarface

I think the ACC hangs together. They actually like and respect each other. Plust FSU and Clemson like the easier path to the NC game. I think the reason SEC is floating 14 (instead of 16) is they KNOW they can get to 14 with ATM and Mizzou, but they aren't sure they can 2 more from the east.

The best thing to happen next would be for Mizzou to follow A&M to the SEC. This would continue the destruction of the Big 12-3 and leave the Big East unscathed.

Besides, Missiouri has never made much noise about joining the Big East and would probably be one of the schools most intent on keeping the Big 12-3 going while waiting and hoping for the Big Ten to take them.

Go Frogs

asleep003

Those new areas also do not just stop at state lines. For example some WVU fans probably live in Virginia and other neighboring states.

EP now.... isn't that little bit of information, true every where for all schools and state lines and don't you still have to look at the State's populatation as the barometer. That 1.8 million population is still over a million less than even Arkansas. The Metro-Plex has over 3 times the population.... and probably has 9 times the flat TVs, yet maybe only 50% of the Box TVs West Virginia has... though WVU has a very nice athletic program.

Cheers !

WVUFan

I agree but if FSU or Clemson don't add enough, how does WVU bring enough to the SEC table in terms of TV sets, etc.?

WVU brings the SEC to the heart of the B10, and they boarder Ohio, and Penn the main recruiting grounds for B10 schools. This is the most tactical reason for offering WVU, WVU is just 70 miles way from Pittsburgh, Penn. It would be a BIG difference if an SEC school can go to Ohio or Penn and say "do you want to play in the premier conference that's just 2 hours away?" That would be a big blow to the B1G

Add the fact that part of the eastern pan handle is considered suburban DC ..... Two new markets and gets the SEC into Maryland, DC, VA, OH, Penn, recruiting grounds

Virginia Frog

WVU and VT are in new states for the SEC. VT would be more appealing, IMO, however both schools have a whole new market area. Those new areas also do not just stop at state lines. For example some WVU fans probably live in Virginia and other neighboring states.
Northern Virginia is where the Big $ and largest population concentration resides in this state. The DC viewing area comprised of :
Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church surrounded by Fairfax Co, Loudoun and Prince Wm Counties (and a 3 less important other counties: Fauquier, Stafford & Spotsylvania) form 25%-plus of the entire VA population.
This is the power center for both UVA and VT alums and matriculants. But there are sizable amounts WVU and Penn State alums in this area too.
WVU would get some TV play in DC media. The WV eastern panhandle county Jefferson (Harper's Ferry) and some in Berkeley Co. COMMUTE daily to DC for work. There is commuter rail there and many Jefferson Co types commute by car to the Dulles Airport region in eastern Loudoun Co & NW Fairfax Co. So adding WVU gets a bit of the DC area's eyes can media coverage.

But adding VaTech is the home run for the SEC- It's a contiguous state to TN & KY and brings eyeballs and media from not only DC (metro area over 5 Mil.) plus Richmond's no dinky burg (metro nearly .8 Mil.) or the "Hampton Roads" cities of Norfolk, Va Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, & Newport News- another 1.5 Mil person media market. WVU wouldn't bring that level of statewide interest in VA.

If I'm running the SEC - Outside of OU. I'd go after NORTH CAROLINA TARHEELS. That would slober knock the ACC. But CAN the SEC recruit and GET UNC? I don't think so!

Latest posts