• The KillerFrogs

Breakdown of our Natty roster by class and 2021 team

1672793841040.png
Found it very interesting to look at our roster this way. I'll hold off on giving my takeaways in the spirit of discussion.

(Apologies if I left any key contributors off the list. There were a few guys right on my 34-line and I wanted to keep offense and defense symmetrical.)

Cougar/Frog

Contrary to various articles, most of the guys are not transfers. There are big impact transfers, no doubt, especially on defense and at center, but the rest are not.

Coaching vs. the transfer portal --- Coaching is the biggest impact for the current success.

Contrary to various articles, most of the guys are not transfers. There are big impact transfers, no doubt, especially on defense and at center, but the rest are not.

Coaching vs. the transfer portal --- Coaching is the biggest impact for the current success.
McElroy asked Dykes: "In a game of that magnitude, do you feel as though you need to control your emotions more than you would in the regular season?"

Dykes responded: "Yes, for sure. That's one thing we felt like coming into TCU, that the program needed - an emotional stability with the players. We just felt like they were going to play better if they were relaxed and felt good about how they were being coached, and all those types of things." When on to describe their culture, built on "mutual respect".

He was slow and careful with his words... didn't want it to become a headline about his predecessor, I believe. He's done a hell of a job.

Surprised me seeing this on paper. I had felt the same all year with the play of guys like Newton, Wiley, Perry, Hodges, Ali, etc. in big moments. Guess it ended up being the right mix.

And the experience level with these upperclassmen - just a perfect storm.

puckster59

Dykes said during one of his Q&A sessions late in the year that he anticipated several players with that extra COVID year to stay. Didn’t say who, of course. I’m pretty sure that’s the way Max would have stayed if he chose to.

Eight

Surprised me seeing this on paper. I had felt the same all year with the play of guys like Newton, Wiley, Perry, Hodges, Ali, etc. in big moments. Guess it ended up being the right mix.

And the experience level with these upperclassmen - just a perfect storm.

combination of some key transfers (newton, ali, hodges), a newcomer like williams who has made a big impact on the defensive line, some guys who finally have been healthy (wes harris and lanz for example) and then development

do think that transfers have significantly impacted the defense by providing true depth in line which has been critical over the course of the year

all three in that second unit which plays a great deal are transfers and the frogs don't get here wo that depth

Eight

We lose a lot of talent after Monday.

they will, but there is a great deal of talent behind them, in some cases there might be more raw, physical talent wo the experience

don't expect everything to fall in place next year as it seemingly has this year, but this staff has shown the ability to develop talent, young players are starting to show up, there is a very good class on the way, and this staff has shown they can work the portal to fill holes

combination of some key transfers (newton, ali, hodges), a newcomer like williams who has made a big impact on the defensive line, some guys who finally have been healthy (wes harris and lanz for example) and then development

do think that transfers have significantly impacted the defense by providing true depth in line which has been critical over the course of the year

all three in that second unit which plays a great deal are transfers and the frogs don't get here wo that depth
Agree completely here. Newton was targeted 0 times in a game where the opponent dropped 45. Absolute stud.

Eight

Agree completely here. Newton was targeted 0 times in a game where the opponent dropped 45. Absolute stud.

will be very interesting to see how the staff pieces things together for next year and the use of transfers to fill spots of need

think there is a very good baseline and excited to see how jordan and his group again identify players who can excel in this program

Nick Danger

will be very interesting to see how the staff pieces things together for next year and the use of transfers to fill spots of need

think there is a very good baseline and excited to see how jordan and his group again identify players who can excel in this program
At least the relatively easy early schedule (Nichols State, Colorado, Houston, SMU) next year, should give the Frogs the opportunity to get all the replacements up to speed, acclimated, and meshed-up before we get into the meat of the schedule.

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

To be legends the rest of their lives!

0b9dee4f71a77d83af6ba360eb60b35682be63b6.gifv