• The KillerFrogs

Boise St. Shouldn't Be Left Out!

West Texas Frog

Why should Boise St. be automatically left out of consideration for a bcs bowl?

Didn't they basically flip flop with TCU in battling Stanford for the final at large spot?

Let's play out this realistic scenario:

Auburn/Oregon National Championship
TCU/Wisconsin Rose Bowl
Big East Winner/Oklahoma St. Fiesta Bowl
ACC Winner/Ohio St. Orange Bowl
SEC #2/????? Sugar Bowl

The ACC and Big East only get one team, and if Oklahoma St. wins out then Nebraska, OU and Texas A&M all finish with at least 3 losses. An at-large team with 3 losses should not be chosen over a one loss BSU team that will be ranked higher in all polls. That leaves Stanford as the only other possible candidate in competition with Boise St. I think BSU would bring a hell of a lot more fans to New Orleans than Stanford. It is a no brainer to pick BSU for the Sugar.

Purple4Life

I can't be so sure that BSU would get selected over Stanford. Afterall, there was no love shown Boise's way in 2008 when they were undefeated. Nothing is assured.

What I feel most confident about is Oregon State pulling off a final upset to end the season. Either they do it tomorrow and end Stanford's BCS hopes; thus practically delivering a BCS spot to Boise, or they bring it all in the Civil War and send us to Glendale. These last games are going to be crazy.

BSUftw

It would be awesome if that were to happen but I just don't see it. So so bummed right now. I hope TCU takes it to whoever they play in their BCS bowl game, hopefully it's the NCG.

Goodnight

Boise State fans would have to hope for Stanford to lose to Oregon State, and Oklahoma State to win out. Then the door is open somewhat.

Purple4Life

Boise State fans would have to hope for Stanford to lose to Oregon State, and Oklahoma State to win out. Then the door is open somewhat.

Even though I predict OU beating the pokes tomorrow, there is no way a 10-2 Okie Light team gets a BCS invitation. To quote the wonderful donor Mr. Boone Pickens, "They don't even have a half-full stadium at their games." No one wants Oklahoma State.

halfwaytoheaven

They're almost certainly better than any of the other 1-loss teams, but let's break it down:

Auburn and Oregon go to the BCS title game. Rose has to replace Ducks with TCU to face the Big Ten champ (Wisky, OSU or MSU, in descending order of likelihood), Sugar gets a replacement pick and most likely takes a 1-loss LSU (assuming they beat the pigs).

Sugar picks again (because they go first this year). They can't take any BCS conference champs, so that pretty much gives them two 1-loss Big Ten teams, Boise, and Stanford to choose from. I'm going with either OSU or Wisconsin, whichever isn't in the Rose Bowl. I seriously doubt they take a 1-loss Boise over a 1-loss Big Ten team.

Orange has ACC champ (perhaps VT, a team we no longer have to pay attention to, thank goodness) and the next pick. They can't pick a team from the SEC or Big Ten because those conferences already have two teams in, probably. Maybe there's a Big 12 team they can take, but I'm not sure how that one shakes out (see below). They might take Boise here. A rematch with the Hokies would be lame, but beats the heck out of the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.

Then the Fiesta Bowl gets Big 12 champ vs. Big East champ. This one's pretty much a lock, particularly if UConn wins the conference.

So maybe they can get in the Orange Bowl. Not even a longshot, really. But I think that's the only bowl that will take them.

Okay, Big 12 possibilities. I doubt the Pokes go to a BCS bowl with two losses, so they need to beat OU and win the title game to make the Fiesta Bowl. OU loses to OSU or in the title game, they're out with three losses. Nebraska loses in the title game, same deal. Either of those teams could be an at-large selection with two losses, but either team would be in the Fiesta Bowl if they win out. I think Missouri's out of BCS bowl contention no matter what happens.

halfwaytoheaven

With TCU taking the Pac-10 spot in the Rose Bowl, Stanford isn't going to a BCS bowl. Any of them would rather have Boise. The OSU thing is a little more likely. Not real sure how well they travel.

masterfrog

With TCU taking the Pac-10 spot in the Rose Bowl, Stanford isn't going to a BCS bowl. Any of them would rather have Boise. The OSU thing is a little more likely. Not real sure how well they travel.
I think you might be wrong on this. If Florida State ends up being the ACC champion, the Orange Bowl won't care about Stanford's travel. They will be able to sell all the tickets they want with the Seminoles.

halfwaytoheaven

Isn't it Nevada who shouldn't be left out? They have the same record as Boise State and they have the head to head victory.

This is the BCS, logic has no place here. Boise will probably have the higher BCS ranking, and they have a rep for traveling well to bowl games. Nevada, not so much. Since this is an at-large bid, the second part is more important. Also, Michigan State may get left out of the BCS despite beating Wisconsin and having the same record.

halfwaytoheaven

I think you might be wrong on this. If Florida State ends up being the ACC champion, the Orange Bowl won't care about Stanford's travel. They will be able to sell all the tickets they want with the Seminoles.

Hmmm ... maybe so. I think Boise might still be the more desirable match-up. TV considerations and all. Nothing against Stanford, I really like their team, but I think Boise is the bigger draw right now.

West Coast Johnny

No, Boise should be left out. They had their chance. And didn't grab it. Boise is out. And I'm a Boise fan. And some other one loss team should be in. Stanford? LSU?

Boise is tragic. College football is one heart break after another. Boise has had highs and now it is a low.

masterfrog

Hmmm ... maybe so. I think Boise might still be the more desirable match-up. TV considerations and all. Nothing against Stanford, I really like their team, but I think Boise is the bigger draw right now.
Maybe, but I don't doubt that Stanford will be the higher ranked team if they win out. I bet there are enough Seminole alumni on the Orange Bowl Committee to make a matchup against the highest possible ranked opponent happen.

Longfrog

I'm going to take a possibly unpopular stance and say that Boise doesn't deserve a BCS bowl. I like their program and feel awful for most of their fans and esp thier kicker, but after tonight they just don't have the resume. As a non-AQ, we all know the drill. As unfair as it is to get shut out of the BCS if we go unbeaten, I don't think a once-beaten non-AQ has much of an argument (unless the loss is to an elite team).

More importantly, Boise played two quality opponents (neither of which are in the top 10) - they barely beat one and lost to the other. And even though the Nevada game had the feel of a fluke if all you see is the highlight of the missed FGs, those of us who watched the game know that if it had lasted another couple of possessions, Nevada would have won in regulation. They absolutely pummelled Boise in the second half, and the box score says as much.

Endless Purple

I could easily see the Orange taking a Big 12 team over Boise. The Orange had a long tie in with the Big 8.

Best bet for Boise would probably be to hope WVU wins the BE and the Orange takes them. That with a Stanford loss would almost guarantee a spot in the Fiesta again. The Fiesta would not take the second Big 12 team and a possible Nebraska Boise match up could be interesting after the scheduling impass the two school had.

halfwaytoheaven

If anyone in the WAC really deserves the spot, it's Nevada. I feel they just have too far to climb now, and I don't think they're considered to be as much of a draw as Boise. And as far as BCS teams that don't deserve to be there, may I present for your consideration [insert Big East champion here].

halfwaytoheaven

I could easily see the Orange taking a Big 12 team over Boise. The Orange had a long tie in with the Big 8.

Best bet for Boise would probably be to hope WVU wins the BE and the Orange takes them. That with a Stanford loss would almost guarantee a spot in the Fiesta again. The Fiesta would not take the second Big 12 team and a possible Nebraska Boise match up could be interesting after the scheduling impass the two school had.

But which Big 12 team would the Orange take? A two-loss OSU is their best bet, and I'm not sure I'd take that over 1-loss Boise. Anybody else either wins the conference and goes to Glendale, has three-plus losses, or is Missouri.

OmniscienceFrog

Isn't it Nevada who shouldn't be left out? They have the same record as Boise State and they have the head to head victory.

Now we're somewhat back to the 2008 Big 12 fiasco. Hawaii (T Tech) beat Nevada (Texas) and Nevada beat Boise St. (Oklahoma). Who is going to be higher in the BSC rankings on Dec. 5th, Nevada or Boise St.?