• The KillerFrogs

Bleacher Report: TCU LB Johnny Hodges: Horned Frogs Are 'Laughingstock' of CFB After Colorado Loss

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU LB Johnny Hodges: Horned Frogs Are 'Laughingstock' of CFB After Colorado Loss​

Doric Sam

After Saturday's upset loss against Colorado, TCU's players are feeling the weight of the disappointment this week.

"I guess you could say it's a wakeup call. I don't know how losing in the national championship by 60 isn't a wakeup call, but right now we're definitely the laughingstock of college football," junior linebacker Johnny Hodges told reporters on Tuesday.

Read the article Here.

Last edited:
I suspect the team found out about Wes Smith‘s death sometime on Friday, maybe even Saturday morning. The homicide occured at 1am Friday morning. Wes Smith was a WR walk-on with the 2021 team. He may have been close to some and known by most on the team.

Maybe this cast a cloud over some of the players which was enough to then permeate the entire team play on the field. Dykes seemed to think the team was ready to play but you don’t always know when something may be clouding player’s enthusiasm and focus. Maybe it was enough to take the edge off player and team moxie.

“During his freshman year, Smith also played for TCU's Division I football team. On Saturday, September 2, a day after his tragic death, members of the football team held a moment of silence for him in tribute to the former player.”

“Due to the fact that Smith was deeply involved in campus ministry studies around TCU, the incident has left members of the community particularly shocked.”

“As he entered the TCU community, he quickly became known for his devotion to studies and religion. Freshers Live noted that Smith often juggled his Finance and Marketing degree with his theological interests, as he was known to lead bible studies classes within the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.”

“In his free time, Wes Smith often participated in the Christian organization Young Life, which led bible studies classes for teenagers.”

Last edited:

Wexahu

I disagree that we are a laughing stock. I think more people are impressed by how Colorado is than surprised with how bad we are. We're still ranked in the top 30.
I think it's probably afterthought more than laughingstock. Not really sure which one is worse. Such a gut punch loss to start a season.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Let's review: 1.) National Championship Game. Frogs beaten like rented mule. Excuse: Players tired and banged up after long season. Excuse grudgingly accepted. 2.) Season Opener. Frogs beaten by 1st year Clown-Show Coach with roster built on transfers, while showing no ability whatsoever on defense. Excuse: ???

Yeah, I'd call that an embarrassment. I'd also call it a trend.

Vlade Davis

Ticket Exchange Pass
Let's review: 1.) National Championship Game. Frogs beaten like rented mule. Excuse: Players tired and banged up after long season. Excuse grudgingly accepted. 2.) Season Opener. Frogs beaten by 1st year Clown-Show Coach with roster built on transfers, while showing no ability whatsoever on defense. Excuse: ???

Yeah, I'd call that an embarrassment. I'd also call it a trend.

You still think he's a clown show coach? His team looked better prepared and more disciplined. And he easily had the 3-4 best players on the field. Separate the art from the artist. Prime is a legit coach.

Outside of the Xs and Os... He earned my massive respect when one of his defensive guys went down during one of our early up tempo drives. The crowd started to murmur like he was trying to stall us out, so Prime started waving at him to get up, seemingly pissed that his team would resort to such tactics. The kid ended up being legit hurt so he went out and put his arm around him and walked him to the sideline.

4 Oaks Frog

You still think he's a clown show coach? His team looked better prepared and more disciplined. And he easily had the 3-4 best players on the field. Separate the art from the artist. Prime is a legit coach.

Outside of the Xs and Os... He earned my massive respect when one of his defensive guys went down during one of our early up tempo drives. The crowd started to murmur like he was trying to stall us out, so Prime started waving at him to get up, seemingly pissed that his team would resort to such tactics. The kid ended up being legit hurt so he went out and put his arm around him and walked him to the sideline.
Wow! What a coach! What a human being!
What?

hfhmilkman

People were quick to say TCU was going to win and cover, but talent and coaching decided that game. Size isn't a requirement to win.

Deion called two quick timeouts that impressed me. He was on top of what was happening. One was the first play of the second half; he didn’t like what he saw and felt that first drive was important so he unconventionally burned a timeout in that situation. The play that followed was a 75 yard TD by Dylan Edwards in which the TCU defenders did not appear to want to make a TD saving tackle.

Last edited:

FrogBall09

He is still a clown show....he can be a good coach and a jackass at the same time - he proves it everytime he opens his mouth. Even after the biggest win the Buffs have had in over a decade and frankly he has had as a coach - he made it all about himself....

He outcoached Sonny for 60 mins - and I still would cringe every time he held a presser if he was our coach

tjcoffice

Prime did shake Sonny's hand during the game and he said good things about Sonny at his "receipt" press conference. I guess Sonny has no receipts? ... He's a classy clown. He has found his calling.

Last edited:

hfhmilkman

My view of Prime is he is a fraud even if he is the best coach in college football. This is my issue with college athletics in general. So not a problem with just prime. Every year there are about 3K or so athletes who a scholarship offer to play at a Division one college football program. 3-5 years latter about 200 will be good enough to be drafted by an NFL team. A significant percentage of that 200 will either not make a team or play the four years to qualify for a pension.

Until I am told otherwise the reason for a "student" to get a scholarship is to acquire a degree. Colorado is a top notch academic institution. A degree from UC carries weight. The problem with Prime is he has no use for an A student who is not good enough for his football team. Prime has no interest, concern, or see any value in a man unless he can play football. Who Prime offers a scholarship in the future is his choice. But the "students" who were already there should have the right to finish out their academic career even if in Prime's eyes they stink.

This is unfortunately how some of the SEC schools run business. Sure, you want the best football players to get a scholarship offer. Until the football player is no longer a student but an employee of the college, they are still a student first. The 2800 football players who do not get drafted and I will guess the 100+ that don't make four years are going to have to figure something else for a career other than football. Even if you do not learn anything of use in college, the certification of a degree opens doors.

My take is shame on UC for falling for an entertainer. They learned nothing after Tucker left. They will be used by Prime and the more success he has the more likely he will be gone. There will be no concerns of a succession and when Prime leaves, so will his players. And UC will continue to stink.