• The KillerFrogs

Big XII GOR—I don’t think the new media rights deal has one yet

I don’t think there is a new BIG XII Grant of Rights (GOR). Maybe Kansas still has hope for a Big Ten invite or one or more others prefer to keep their options open. I think it only takes one not wanting it.

If an institution doesn't want to sign a GOR they are free to leave.
The point is choosing to be (not are) “free to leave” if opportunity comes calling — one or more schools may want that ability/freedom and then all will have it. TCU may be one that wants to be free to leave; we don’t know.

Kansas may be the most logical school because of the Big Ten allure. Kansas has AAU research, geographic continuity, crazy basketball tradition and value, and I believe they sinking around 250M in football facilities. So they may be hoping.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

That point is choosing to be (not are) “free to leave” if opportunity comes calling — one or more schools may want that ability/freedom and then all will have it. TCU may be one that wants to be free to leave; we don’t know.

Kansas may be the most logical school because of the Big Ten allure. Kansas has AAU research, geographic continuity, crazy basketball tradition and value, and I believe they sinking around 250M in football facilities. So they may be hoping.
So the Big 12 should kick them out now then and add a similar brand to build up like UConn or New Mexico and let the Kansas brand wither away while they hope for that Big 10 invite.

I'm almost 100% positive everyone has to sign a GOR through the term of the new deal. Which I believe is 2030. So not sure what you are talking about.
Is it in the new media rights deal with ESPN/FOX, as part of it, or that everyone has to sign a GOR? I have heard (but could be wrong) that the Big XII does not yet have a GOR coinciding with the new media rights deal.

If the media rights deal was contingent on a GOR then I would think it would be done already.

Maybe @Gary's Shirtless Revenge can tell us there is a GOR and I will then delete this thread.

Last edited:
So the Big 12 should kick them out now then and add a similar brand to build up like UConn or New Mexico and let the Kansas brand wither away while they hope for that Big 10 invite.
Again, it might be more than one, TCU included; we don’t know. Do you want to kick out TCU too, or a couple others if they prefer the freedom.

TCUdirtbag

The new Big 12 media deal is contingent upon each of the 12 continuing and new Big 12 members extending the GOR to the conference for the duration of the new Big 12 media deal. (The conference can’t license to ESPN/FOX what they don’t have a right to - so this is basic contracting: school X licenses, aka “grants”, it’s media rights to Big 12, Big 12 sub-licenses to media partners.)

While announced last fall, the final new media deal hadn’t actually been completed and signed last I heard (end of January was a target date but I wouldn’t be surprised for it to drag into February, March or April). Lots of logistics left re: content production (particularly for minor sports), and it takes time to get GORs extended by university governing boards. Lawyers have their hours to bill etc. GSR probably has more insight on where things stand at the moment.

So, you’ve heard wrong. The new deal will get finalized and the GOR will be extended/joined by all continuing and new members.

BleedNPurple

The new media deal was most likely held in limbo while OU and UT tried to figure out which year they wanted to leap to their athletics death and join A&M in the dustbin of history. I thought that sounded like a great opening for the new B12 Promo Video as we introduce our new members and shut the door for good on those who are departing.

The new Big 12 media deal is contingent upon each of the 12 continuing and new Big 12 members extending the GOR to the conference for the duration of the new Big 12 media deal. (The conference can’t license to ESPN/FOX what they don’t have a right to - so this is basic contracting: school X licenses, aka “grants”, it’s media rights to Big 12, Big 12 sub-licenses to media partners.)

While announced last fall, the final new media deal hadn’t actually been completed and signed last I heard (end of January was a target date but I wouldn’t be surprised for it to drag into February, March or April). Lots of logistics left re: content production (particularly for minor sports), and it takes time to get GORs extended by university governing boards. Lawyers have their hours to bill etc. GSR probably has more insight on where things stand at the moment.

So, you’ve heard wrong. The new deal will get finalized and the GOR will be extended/joined by all continuing and new members.
You’re all over it… only more to add is that the contract finalization and associated GOR were in part waiting to see if UT/OU negotiated an early exit, because if so the revenue distribution amongst the remaining members might change a bit and the tv agreements might get tweaked to accommodate whatever got negotiated. That negotiation has been slow.

Other thing that could change is conference membership… There remains a contingent of schools that might want in, and you might as well leave the agreement agreed in principle just to see what happens. So… we shall see what happens.

LSU Game Attendee

Please tell me you're joking. I don't want to see University of North Texas in the Big 12
quagmire GIF

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Kansas's ship for BIG has sailed with the addition of USC and UCLA. Even if they expand further Kansas won't be an option.

And for the love of God, can we stop throwing out New Mexico as an option for the Big12? The day they are invited is the day the conference would be circling the drain.

I still wouldn't put it past the BiG if they were finally able to get Notre Dame and needed another team. They added Rutgers to give teams more W's.