• The KillerFrogs

Big East--ESPN TV schedule--ugh Friday and Wednesday games!

It would be nice if FSSW would become one of those affiliated channels, but with the Big 12 I just don't see that happening. Big East Network games will more than likely end up on an OTA in DFW.

If we are on an OTA, then only our fans in DFW will be able to see those games, which is kind of ironic, because they can go to the games if they really want to see them. We have a lot of fans outside of DFW, so they should be the priority when it comes to TV.

Del Conte has a challenge to make sure we not only get good OOC games, but that they are televised.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
If we are on an OTA, then only our fans in DFW will be able to see those games, which is kind of ironic, because they can go to the games if they really want to see them. We have a lot of fans outside of DFW, so they should be the priority when it comes to TV.

Del Conte has a challenge to make sure we not only get good OOC games, but that they are televised.

It's not the OOC games that are the issue. It's any Big East Network games. What are the options? An OTA in DFW, obviously, but what about regionally? FSSW is really the only game in town. They have an alternate channel, but they tend to use it sparingly and is less widely available, when there's multiple games available to a market. And FOX, which owns the Big 12 rights, is not going to bump any Big 12 game to the alt channel to televise TCU/Rutgers on the main channel. What you may end up seeing is a patchwork 'network' within Texas - an OTA in DFW, the new Comcast Sports channel in Houston, the Time Warner Sports channels in other cities. Or they may just decide to stick to the DFW OTA, with ESPN Game Plan PPV being the alternative. And, as mentioned by Metro, anybody with the Directv Sports Pack is going to have additional options.

I don't remember the last WVU game I wasn't able to watch live on TV. I really don't.

If you get ESPN3 and have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and an ABC affiliate...you will have access to every game. Actually, all you really need is ESPNU and ESPN3.

Weekday games are awesome, too. Guaranteed night game, baby! And the two games on Friday after T-Giving are national broadcast games on ABC. You can't do better than that for exposure. It's the best you can get.

Mountaineer

Here's WVU's schedule last year

Coastal Carolina Saturday ESPN Regional
at Marshall Friday ESPN
Maryland Sat. ESPNU
at LSU Sat. ESPN2
UNLV Sat ESPN Reg.
USF Thur ESPN
Syracuse Sat ESPN2
at UConn Fri. ESPN2
Cincy Sat ESPN Reg.
at Louisville Sat ESPN Reg.
at Pitt Black Friday ABC(National)
Rutgers Sat ABC(National)

I live in Nashville and I usually see about 9 on the tv and 3 on computer. If Comcast would add SNY like they have in some markets I'd be ale to see all of them.

general125

Sweet if SNY shows the big east network, than directv will keep my $12/month.

Who are we kidding though, I can't give up the fox soccer channel.

Metropolis777

Versus is the MWC's ESPN/ESPN2, CBS CS is the MWC's ESPNU, and The Mtn is MWC's Big East syndicated Network. So if we end up with the same relative distribution of games, then it's hard to justify complaining about how many games are on TV. Day of the week the games are on is another issue.
That's EXACTLY what it is except better.

• ESPN and ESPN2 are way more accessible than Versus.
  • Thanks to ESPN's focus on ESPNU over ESPN Classic, ESPNU hits more TV sets than CBS Sports and probably more than Versus.
  • Finally, there's the Big East Network synidcation. It hits more people than the mtn. could ever imagine. Only Frogs in the DFW area with DirecTV could receive the mtn. without extra charge. Outside of that area, you'd have to pay for the sports pack on DirecTV. Now, the Big East Network will get an affiliate in DFW (which I believe it had in 07 & 08). Some other Texas areas may pick it up as well (ATX/SAN already has an affiliate). Then anyone else still needing access will get it through a sports pack on Dish, DirecTV, or UVerse with SNY or MASN. And of course, everyone in the DFW area with a TV and antenna will be able to see Big East Network syndicated games.

Planks

Let's not forget, one of the huge benefits of bring on ESPN is the exposure factor. Average Joe football fan sits down and says "hmm, let's see what's on ESPN today." Average Joe football fan turns his TV and happens to see a Big East football game. Is Average Joe football fan a Big East fan? No. Was average Joe tuning in to watch a Big East game? No, but he did because the Big East was on ESPN. The Big East may have just gained a new fan.

Average Joe football fan doesn't even know what Versus, CBS Sports, and the mtn are. He's never going to tune in just to see what football game happens to be on Versus that day. The only people who turn into Mountain West games are fans who are already fans of Mountain West teams.

Endless Purple

Why do some on here seem surprised? This is exactly was should have been expected from the BE contract. Should not be an issue for those in DFW. IT seems anything ESPN does not pick up can be eligible for other sources to broadcast.

The concern will be for those outside the area - like Houston (maybe Austin), west coast, etc.. I could watch all 1A (FBS) opponents if I couldn't get to the game regardless of where I was in the US (except maybe Alaska). That may no longer be the case.

More exposure if you are in the right area. ESPN3 will most likely be the saving grace, but that is a lousy way to watch a game.

PS. Weeknight games at home suck.

fdub

this is why I hope NBC, Fox and CBS get serious about pulling the BE away from ESPN. Pony up, boys-- it's time to break ESPN's stranglehold on college football.

Won't be any harder to find the games (in fact easier overall), but I have to admit I've loved the all Saturday conference schedule the last few years.
I disagree about finding the games. It's not any easier to find Pitt games here in Pittsburgh than it is for me to currently find TCU games. We might actually be on more networks in the BE, which is more confusing than it is now.

Spike

Exactly. Not sure what anyone ever had against the Mountain. Oh well, I guess for some the grass is always greener on the other side.

Have nothing against the MTN, in fact have never watched any of their broadcasts and only recently switched to Direct. I have noticed in the past, and also like with our current baseball schedule, that most of the Frog games that the MTN carries, are home games, and I'm usually there anyway. So the MTN doesn't really help me that much anyway.