• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Eight

Which most likely will be the number (18-22) of BIG/SEC. Seems like 16 is basically 2 leagues... so might as well go to 20.

maybe though with 16 you can have 7 games on your side of the conference and then 2 from the other for 9 games

math also works out fairly well for basketball

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It doubles the league GPA having Vandy around.
I remember the jest about Aggie leaving the BIGXII and heading to the SEC: "In doing so, they raised the aggregate IQ of both Conferences."

Vandy, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue all serve a purpose: They are easy Conference wins for the Teams That Matter. Every Conference has it's doormats, and they have value just like the big properties. The Globetrotters had to have the Generals, and thus Alabama needs Vandy. I would be very, very surprised if the Big Conferences cut away some deadwood. As someone earlier remarked quite wisely, "Where does it stop?" If you cut off Indiana, why not Illinois? Purdue? If you dump Vandy, what about Kentucky? South Carolina?

Wexahu

I remember the jest about Aggie leaving the BIGXII and heading to the SEC: "In doing so, they raised the aggregate IQ of both Conferences."

Vandy, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue all serve a purpose: They are easy Conference wins for the Teams That Matter. Every Conference has it's doormats, and they have value just like the big properties. The Globetrotters had to have the Generals, and thus Alabama needs Vandy. I would be very, very surprised if the Big Conferences cut away some deadwood. As someone earlier remarked quite wisely, "Where does it stop?" If you cut off Indiana, why not Illinois? Purdue? If you dump Vandy, what about Kentucky? South Carolina?
In the future 9-3, 8-4 seasons might be good enough to get into a watered down playoff. I don’t think those schools really need the bottom feeders at all. They don’t add value, they just fill out schedules full of lousy, one-sided games.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In the future 9-3, 8-4 seasons might be good enough to get into a watered down playoff. I don’t think those schools really need the bottom feeders at all. They don’t add value, they just fill out schedules full of lousy, one-sided games.
I'm not sure about your crystal ball, but mine is showing old Star Trek episodes...

Froggish

Seemingly good data but again the debate is if rutgers truly “delivers” the NYC market
I keep telling people that while in a streaming world linear TV is growing less important, there are other factors that make a largely populated area (aka big media market) very attractive to conferences.

1. Connectivity - The B10 contains schools with something like 10 of the largest living alumni bases in the country. A large % of them live in giant metro areas outside the B10 footprint. Having a visible presence in a place like LA, DFW, or ATL allows them to stay engaged with their best fans and most loyal private donors.

2. Marketing..The ability for these schools to go into a new large markets and build familiarity for their academic platforms is a big deal. In large metro’s a ton of kids leave their states to go to college.

3. Secondary revenue - telling local companies you partner with that you are opening up a whole new part of the country for them to advertise in builds deeper connectivity and is attractive.

Ultimately a conference wants both a large market AND a brand attached that drives their conference value up. However, parking your bus in another part of the country has a lot value to big brands. They may not see a return from their partners (Ex: TCU in DFW or GTech in ATL) but they do see returns in other places. One of these P2 types may not be above investing in the potential of secondary revenue.

Last edited:

TCU_91

This is the point I was (clumsy) trying to make.

The pie is only so large. The less mouths to feed the bigger the slices.

Alabama/Lsu can fill out their schedule with LA Tech, UAB, GA State..etc. and pay much less than having to share the conference cut with Vandy, SC..etc. They don't need to keep the dead weight in the conference. They make the slices larger by cutting them out and each school gets an extra 15-20 million a year without them.

asleep003

maybe though with 16 you can have 7 games on your side of the conference and then 2 from the other for 9 games

math also works out fairly well for basketball
Think the math the Big12 should be looking at, is achieving 4 additional teams/media markets that attract TV contract $s more than a comfy 16 team league... which is not where we want to be, during negotiation... as our 2 big leading competitors will not be stopping at 16.