• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Paul in uhh

MHver3@MHver3
Clash of Champions Bowl: ACC champ and PAC 12 champ will play an extra game after conference championship at a ytbd location.
Also as part of this deal ESPN would pay Oregon and Washington an additional $15 million per year for the trade off of playing 2 ACC teams per year.
Again that is a rumor. But it comes from a well connected source that feels like this could be a potential starting point for negotiations
One B12 source thinks the ACC/PAC alliance talk is being used as leverage to get B12 to let UT and OU out early with only the exit fee as penalty. They have inferred as much to B12 leadership.

Can’t fathom a situation where these schools let oregon and UW take massively larger payments while Oregon and UW are trying desperately to get into the b10 the whole time

Paul in uhh

Whoever Greg swaim is .. he’s saying that the four corners schools are announcing tomorrow they’re in the b12. So we’ll see
Get those four now, get oregon and Washington when they capitulate and then let espn, fox and cbs get into a bidding war for the new conference… with our lesser games on youtube

This doesn’t sound good for Big 12 leverage. @Gary's Shirtless Revenge, any thoughts on this?
ESPN and Fox are trying to get as much leverage as possible in the battle for college sports media rights. Each has an idea of how it wants the national map of conferences and member schools to be aligned when the dust settles.

This point is underscored by Jon Wilner of the Wilner Hotline, who makes the point that Fox is going all-in with the Big Ten and is therefore overextended in its media commitments and resource allocation:

The move suggests that Fox will have little interest in Pac-12 media rights in the next contract cycle. Most, if not all of its cash will be spent on the Big Ten and the expanded College Football Playoff.

Meanwhile, ESPN could play a key role in rescuing the Pac-12.

When the next contract cycle begins, ESPN will control all ACC and SEC football content but perhaps very little — or none — of the Big Ten’s inventory.

That’s significant, because ESPN has more shelf space than Fox due to additional linear networks (ESPN2) and its commitment to a digital platform (ESPN+).

It needs viable college football in the Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones to fill all those broadcast windows.

Given the desperation level of the Pac-12 and Big 12, whose current media deal expires in 2025, their inventory will undoubtedly be available for whatever price ESPN is willing to pay.

ESPN can name the terms and, if desired, dictate which schools are in which league.

Fox has chosen to steer away from the Pac-12 as a part of its future. It’s ESPN or bust for the Pac-12. Maybe this includes the Big 12. Maybe it doesn’t. Fox, though, is out of the picture.

Last edited:

Purp

Here is what Swaim tweeted.

I don't buy this bc any PAC schools planning to come our way apparently have to wait for the 30 day negotiation period before they're free agents. A deal may be done in principle, but I'm not expecting an announcement for several weeks.

Paul in uhh

I don't buy this bc any PAC schools planning to come our way apparently have to wait for the 30 day negotiation period before they're free agents. A deal may be done in principle, but I'm not expecting an announcement for several weeks.
Handshakes can be done before the ink is dry. Not unlike us knowing Coach Mo’s replacement before it was announced today officially

Can’t fathom a situation where these schools let oregon and UW take massively larger payments while Oregon and UW are trying desperately to get into the b10 the whole time
What if ESPN is the only serious bidder for both the remaining PAC and Big 12. Then maybe ESPN dictates to a very large extent. Maybe this evolves to the PAC and some of the Big 12 merging so it becomes an alliance of PAC/Big 12 and ACC to suit what ESPN is willing to do for their best interest. ESPN formulating and negotiating to assemble the best of the rest for the best matchups and money—The Alliance. Maybe this becomes ESPN’s experiment to see If they can pay differentially in order to keep teams like Washington, Oregon and Phil Knight that insist they are worth more, happy—the art of the deal.

I read speculation that FOX no longer wants to be a partner with ESPN if they don’t need to be, because FOX is sore about ESPN extracting Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. FOX did not like their share of the PAC and don’t need that again. A previous link above suggests FOX will be fully extended and may not have money and/or broadcast slots for the PAC or Big 12, FOX investing more in the new Big Ten deal.

That being said, MHver3 and Greg Swaim believe the Mountain teams may announce today that they will join the Big 12, and I guess that entails some dollar estimates from a broadcast partner—maybe FOX.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

$220 million per year for 10 schools. Isn't $22 million each a drop from their current contract?
And isn't the anticipated Big-12 payout to be around 40 million per school (post-OUT-exit)? Calling on my old high school Related Math classes, isn't that almost double the anticipated Pac-12/10 payout? :oops:

Last edited:
I have read that without TX/OK and USC/UCLA that both diminshed conferences are worth an average of about 30 million per school, the Big 12 maybe a bit more than the PAC. The rumor of 220 million plus an additional 15 million to each(?) Oregon and Washington would be 250 total, so an average of 25 million per school. Would Washington State and Oregon State argue with Washington and Oregon that the unequal distribution is not fair, or be happy enough that they are still sharing a conference with them. I don’t like it, but it may be the new way to keep schools like Oregon more at peace with the inferior conference that they are left with.

Last edited:

Eight

I have read that without TX/OK and USC/UCLA that both diminshed conferences are worth an average of about 30 million per school, the Big 12 maybe a bit more than the PAC. The rumor of 220 million plus an additional 15 million to each(?) Oregon and Washington would be 250 total, so an average of 25 million per school. Would Washington State and Oregon State argue with Washington and Oregon that the unequal distribution is not fair, or be happy enough that they are still sharing a conference with them. I don’t like it, but it may be the new way to keep schools like Oregon more at peace with the inferior conference that they are left with.

the issue here is not wazzu and oregon state as neither has other options nor power within that conference. hell, wazzu's athletic department can't pay their bills right now and are looking to drop sports.

the bigger issue is if you are utah, colorado, and the two az schools who may have other options that would pay them more in an equal split scenario and you are being asked to not only trust two schools who it is known are trying to get out of the pac, but give them more money

sound familiar?