• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Crisis Averted?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
If you listen to their fans, its like the Big 12 exists to service them,

Well, duh.

Well here is your golden excuse to actualy do what you brag and threaten to do all the time and what do they do? They fold their hand meekly and fall into line. Big hat, no cattle.

They didn't fold....yet. The Big 12 schools really can't stop them, but the NCAA can. So all they're doing is waiting - all of them. And if you'll notice, its the fans talking about independence, not the school. The school has the best of both worlds right now - independence within a conference - and they have no need to do anything different.

ReedFrawg

The school has the best of both worlds right now - independence within a conference - and they have no need to do anything different.

Great post. UT will probably just keep pushing, keep taking all they can, keep exploiting the situation until someone else blinks first. They could then react to A&M leaving or OU leaving and simply say "we always supported the Big 12, we did not break up the conference, etc."

westoverhillbilly

It's nice to watch Tech and Baylor sweat big-time and really have no say or control over their destiny- to be totally dependent upon the whims of a boss who cares nothing about them...

They could be relegated to [Deleted] status soon and find themselves begging us to play them (in a sense, it's already occurred)... I have no pity, especially for Baylor after they smugly offered to play us immediately after the SWC breakup with a 2/1 Waco series... It wasn't until we had success that they agreed to two home/home series...

Think about it... we're in a BCS conference that, while not perfect, doesn't have an exalted ruler... We know all too well the feeling that Tech and Baylor fans are experiencing and it ain't good... But I ain't praying for them, sorry....

froginaustin

I'm struck at how U. Texas looks like a bunch of pansies. If you listen to their fans, its like the Big 12 exists to service them, and that if Baylor, Oklahoma State, A&M... etal don't like it, we'll go independent. Well here is your golden excuse to actualy do what you brag and threaten to do all the time and what do they do? They fold their hand meekly and fall into line. Big hat, no cattle.
I respectfully disagree with the bolded statement. UTx hasn't given up a damn thing that has much value. The Aggies may strut and claim to have forced UTx to back down, and it will be delusional posturing by their leadership for the more naive elements in their fan base. That may have value for the Aggie leadership, that answers to a highly politicized board of regents that answers to the governor and will therefore be responsive to public opinion. But UTx doesn't care about that any more than the honey badger does.

UTx agreed that the LN should not broadcast high school games until the NCAA gives the green light. That's common sense. The consequences of UTx agreeing to the LN putting up high school games, and then having the NCAA say they shouldn't, could be serious even if the likelihood of the NCAA ultimately blessing high school games on institution-specific AND ON conference-specific channels is pretty high as it seems to me it is. And if the hi school games are broadcast on the LN anyway, UTx has cover-- ESPN did it even though we asked the not to ( :rolleyes: ).

The B12 has a year to get its conference network on the air. We'll see. So will UTx, who can say the conference had a chance whether or not the B12 Network ever happens or not. UTx doing what their conference-mates can not is the way UTx rolls.

Notice that the conference caved on the matter of 2 UTx football games, including 1 conference game, on the LN.

UTx is being prudent in staying away from endorsing high school football on the LN. When the NCAA says "go for it" (and I suspect the B1G Network and the PAC's network might have something to say on this issue, and maybe Notre Dame (supposedly working on getting their network up) would, too), the LN will be showing high school prospects on their network. For that matter, BYU might chime in, too, as if anyone outside their Church might care.

UTx gave their conference mates a little KY Jelly for a postponed encounter. Nothing more.