• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Crisis Averted?

AEAfrog

The Big 12′s athletic directors unanimously agreed that no high school content will be delivered on institutional or conference media platforms for one year, the league announced in a release Monday. The announcement came after the athletic directors converged in Dallas for a meeting specifically designed to address concerns other schools had about plans to broadcast high school football games on the Longhorn Network, which launches later this month.

http://blog.chron.com/longhorns/2011/08/big-12-ads-no-high-school-games-on-longhorn-network/

fdub

For one year, then what?

then the Big12-2 meets its maker.
nuclear-bomb-badger350.jpg

mtmedlin

Postponed....not averted and doesnt do anything other then give the Aggies and Sooner time to get their ducks in a row. Announcing now doesnt do anything for them since the deadline has passed but watch out for spring of next year.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
For one year, then what?

They're waiting to see how the NCAA rules on it. If they decide the televising of HS games on the Longhorn Network does not represent a recruiting advantage, then Pandora's Box is open for all the networks (Pac12, BTN, LHN, etc).

AggieFrog

Just a postponement of the inevitable - I think everyone expected today's outcome. Still doesn't change anything with regard to conference stability.

Just a postponement of the inevitable - I think everyone expected today's outcome. Still doesn't change anything with regard to conference stability.

The SEC isn't going to drop the first bomb in college football Armageddon, and UT doesn't have any place to play its minor sports, so going independent is a last resort. The Ags and UT deserve each other.

AggieFrog

The SEC isn't going to drop the first bomb in college football Armageddon, and UT doesn't have any place to play its minor sports, so going independent is a last resort. The Ags and UT deserve each other.
That's yet to be seen - still would not surprise me in the least to see A&M leave the Big 12 Lite within the next year.

Endless Purple

They do to the extent that ADs sign the contracts. What's ESPN going to do without a contract?
Bonner4Prez had the same thought as myself. I am guessing ESPN already has a contract signed by the only AD that matters UT's. They will stick to what is in it that benefits them.

The other AD's have no say since it is between UT and ESPN.

Deep Purple

However, the NCAA also has a say. If they say "no," UT can always ignore the them -- but the Horns would have to willing to ignore the inevitable sanctions and penalties. A couple of big-buck conferences have a stake in this issue, and I doubt they want to do any favors for UT. As much an NCAA darling as UT is, I doubt the NCAA is going to ignore their other darlings just for the sake of Texas.

McFroggin

Bonner4Prez had the same thought as myself. I am guessing ESPN already has a contract signed by the only AD that matters UT's. They will stick to what is in it that benefits them.

The article mentioned a unanimous vote which means the UT AD agreed to no high school content right? Apparently UT already planned to not honor the ESPN contract.

froginaustin

The article mentioned a unanimous vote which means the UT AD agreed to no high school content right? Apparently UT already planned to not honor the ESPN contract.
The article in the print version of the Austin American-Statesman makes it clear that (1) the AD vote was unanimous, (2) everyone wants to wait until the NCAA rules on the propriety of high school games on institution or conference-sponsored channels (and that, I think, telegraphs the expected NCAA ruling), (3) the moratorium only lasts for the 2011 season, and (4) the Big Twelve expects to have its competitor to the Longhorn Network up and running by 2012.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The article in the print version of the Austin American-Statesman makes it clear that (1) the AD vote was unanimous, (2) everyone wants to wait until the NCAA rules on the propriety of high school games on institution or conference-sponsored channels (and that, I think, telegraphs the expected NCAA ruling), (3) the moratorium only lasts for the 2011 season, and (4) the Big Twelve expects to have its competitor to the Longhorn Network up and running by 2012.

So ESPN will have the 'Longhorn Network' and the 'No Longhorn Network' up and running at the same time? Peachy!

West Coast Johnny

I'm struck at how U. Texas looks like a bunch of pansies. If you listen to their fans, its like the Big 12 exists to service them, and that if Baylor, Oklahoma State, A&M... etal don't like it, we'll go independent. Well here is your golden excuse to actualy do what you brag and threaten to do all the time and what do they do? They fold their hand meekly and fall into line. Big hat, no cattle.