• The KillerFrogs

Best Pumpkin Pancake Recipes

Pumpkins should be for

• Total voters

Peacefrog

Degenerate
My go-to. I’ve spoken to people recently who have NEVER had blueberry pancakes. Appalling.
tenor.gif

LisaLT

One of my departed aunts, Aunt Katherine, of Eureka Springs, AR had a blueberry farm. If you visited Aunt Katherine, you would (and must) enjoy blueberries for breakfast, dinner and supper. Want a snack?....guess what she had?

PS: no maple syrup. It was blackstrap molasses
wow. i wonder what that would taste like. Molasses is a great ingredient for baking. Love using it in homemade BBQ sauces as well.

Paint It Purple

wow. i wonder what that would taste like. Molasses is a great ingredient for baking. Love using it in homemade BBQ sauces as well.
I can confirm it didn’t taste good. Blackstrap cane syrup was a staple of poor Southern folks, especially those born around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century like my folks. I went with the butter.

LisaLT

I can confirm it didn’t taste good. Blackstrap cane syrup was a staple of poor Southern folks, especially those born around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century like my folks. I went with the butter.
You can never go wrong with butter!! I can only imagine molasses on pancakes. Too overpowering and sticky!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Blackstrap is the result of just about all the sugar being leached out of cane juice. There isn't much sweetness left in it at all.

I like using cane syrup in some recipes, or in drinks. It mixes easier and has a more full flavor than plain white sugar.

The best sugar I have ever eaten was from the Santa Rosa Sugar Mill down in Deepest South Texas. They pulp the sugar cane and cook the juice to allow the sugar to crystallize out and be harvested. They do three runs of crystallization: A, B, and C, and name each sugar by the run letter. Thus, C Sugar is the sugar produced by the last crystallization run. It has more minerals and other flavor compounds than the previous two runs, and has a dark brown color and wonderful earthy smell. The Plant Manager took us up to the huge centrifuges where they spin the sugar out, and pulled some product directly from the spinner. He took some in his fingers and ate it, motioning for us to do the same. "Best eatin' sugar around!"

Absolutely delicious!

Paint It Purple

Blackstrap is the result of just about all the sugar being leached out of cane juice. There isn't much sweetness left in it at all.

I like using cane syrup in some recipes, or in drinks. It mixes easier and has a more full flavor than plain white sugar.

The best sugar I have ever eaten was from the Santa Rosa Sugar Mill down in Deepest South Texas. They pulp the sugar cane and cook the juice to allow the sugar to crystallize out and be harvested. They do three runs of crystallization: A, B, and C, and name each sugar by the run letter. Thus, C Sugar is the sugar produced by the last crystallization run. It has more minerals and other flavor compounds than the previous two runs, and has a dark brown color and wonderful earthy smell. The Plant Manager took us up to the huge centrifuges where they spin the sugar out, and pulled some product directly from the spinner. He took some in his fingers and ate it, motioning for us to do the same. "Best eatin' sugar around!"

Absolutely delicious!
Know what you mean. I like blackstrap and stuff like that now. Your tastes change as you age. Ex whiskey, wine, cigars, scotch, and blackstrap syrup.

LisaLT

Absolutely delicious!
What kind of cocktails do u use this in? I’ve simple sugar syrup mixtures for whiskey sours and a few other drinks. Always looking for a good drink recipe:)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What kind of cocktails do u use this in? I’ve simple sugar syrup mixtures for whiskey sours and a few other drinks. Always looking for a good drink recipe:)
My favorite is a cane syrup from Martinique. Expensive, though.

Easiest way to make it is to simply put some sugar you like (I'm partial to the HEB "Turbinado" sugar. It is much like the C sugar I described above, and is sometimes sourced from Mauritius, which produces the best sugar on the planet.) in a small pan with water and let it liquefy. I use a ratio of 1-1, so the resulting syrup is a little thicker. I'd rather have the flavor than more water. Too thick, though, and it won't dissolve in cold liquid, so there's a balance.

If making Tropical drinks, I put a cinnamon (zelaynicum) stick in the pan, and some fresh nutmeg as well.

I am very partial to a Ti Punch: https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/1952/ti-punch

Cheers!

Latest posts