• The KillerFrogs

Benedict Patterson!

Toad Jones

I think, without having real knowledge, that Gary has likely received many DC offers. It likely does affect his ego and pisses him off. But the reality is, in today’s college football, it’s where he fits.
pretty close to correct in theory. Gary has been called on a few with but not the conference, location, and potential where he might be considered to move into a HC job. To put it differently, a back door into the position of head coach. If you can't get in through the front door, you'll try the back door approach. They came close to firing Aranda this past season and, just maybe, Gary thought of that when he accepted the senior consultant job at Baylor. Sometimes in life things just turn differently on that day, and you say to yourself, this may be my chance! I'm gonna jump on this and let it play out. Regardless of what you may think of Baylor, it's a good school and Waco has grown up a lot. I'm totally competitive with Baylor in sports, but not the school.

Toad Jones

Boy oh boy, many of us have a love-hate relationship with Gary. Love him for what he accomplished and hate him for fouling up that relationship.

Toad Jones

A football coach is a bit misunderstood from my standpoint. WHY??... Why pray tell would you want to coach 18-22 years in the first place? We live in a volatile society, with huge amounts of money, stress beyond comprehension, workload, family, and so on and so on, adding of course the handling of Mom and Pop and why isn't johnny isn't playing.. Then I ask why someone hasn't taken that job for such an interview. Forget the sports talking heads, that would be greasing the pan, so who would I ask to do this? So I elected Ben Shapiro, a very smart, conservative man, a competitive person himself, not associated with sports to my knowledge, and dig into the persona of a coach. Holy of all holiness, would that be interesting! The give and take from both sides would be great entertainment and would be the first order for us. We might understand both the conservative view and the idiot approach to being a coach. Sometimes we think we know it all including a love - hate environment but we don't have a clue..

I think any dislike of Gary Patterson because of him taking consulting positions at Texas schools is ridiculous and immature.

And some here think HE is vindictive or immature, jeepers. He loves football and coaching. He has proper perspective and is moving on, while some here do not and have not.

He still lives in Fort Worth next to the campus in the same house full of his TCU memories and I appreciate that and maybe you should too!

Put your fandom emotions aside and use your adult brain like he does.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why hasn't Patterson taken a HC gig? Easy. He is not an easy person to deal with. I'm sure that any Administration having a look at him will see the words "Does not play well with others!" stamped at the top of the evaluation file. Along with his Boons of: intelligence, deep knowledge of the game, preternatural ability to dissect and counter most offenses, he brings the the Banes of: irritability, stubbornness, and no patience whatsoever with fools. In short, anybody hiring him would realize that they would be putting a royal pain-in-the-ass on the payroll.

Nobody wants that.

Therefore, I figure that the offers he has gotten weren't all that good, and at distant places he really doesn't want to go. So, he's reduced to hunting for a paying gig within easy driving distance. And, voila!

Limey Frog

Like it or not, GP rebuilt TCU football, won the Rose Bowl, which got ACS rebuilt, which helped get TCU into the Big 12. If he hadn't come along, where would TCU be now?

I remember coming to TCU games in the early 80s, it was pitiful. Nobody cared, TCU never went to bowl games.

So when I get down about the TCU football program, I just think about where TCU was and where we are now. If GP wants to go help another program even BAILURE, so be it. He has that right. It doesn't bother me one bit. TCU fans are spoiled and have a short memory. They should remember who got them to where they are today and be grateful we are NOT SMU.
100%. Again, people, the statue is a monument to a period of time that is entirely past. Yes, the man is still alive, but the reasons for the statue are not under continual active review. He could drive a Sherman tank into the main quad, drop trouser and take a dump on the grass, then go up to the Chancellor's office and punch V-Bo in the face before hunting down Superfrog with a flamethrower and the statue shouldn't be taken down.

NewFrogFan

So today I see an article linking interest in DA at UCLA revolving door. Should that happen anyone else think Baylor might have “other plans” with GP?

Limey Frog

So today I see an article linking interest in DA at UCLA revolving door. Should that happen anyone else think Baylor might have “other plans” with GP?
Yikes. He mustn't feel good about his chances of salvaging Baylor if he's looking at UCLA as a good move. That program will be a disaster in the Big Ten.

Honestly, I'd kind of enjoy the weirdness of GP suddenly being Baylor's emergency head coach. It would at least make for an intriguing storyline.

Bruce Berry

Like it or not, GP rebuilt TCU football, won the Rose Bowl, which got ACS rebuilt, which helped get TCU into the Big 12. If he hadn't come along, where would TCU be now?

I remember coming to TCU games in the early 80s, it was pitiful. Nobody cared, TCU never went to bowl games.

So when I get down about the TCU football program, I just think about where TCU was and where we are now. If GP wants to go help another program even BAILURE, so be it. He has that right. It doesn't bother me one bit. TCU fans are spoiled and have a short memory. They should remember who got them to where they are today and be grateful we are NOT SMU.

Know this, using all caps won't intimidate me.

The guy looks like a clown.

hometown frog

pretty close to correct in theory. Gary has been called on a few with but not the conference, location, and potential where he might be considered to move into a HC job. To put it differently, a back door into the position of head coach. If you can't get in through the front door, you'll try the back door approach. They came close to firing Aranda this past season and, just maybe, Gary thought of that when he accepted the senior consultant job at Baylor. Sometimes in life things just turn differently on that day, and you say to yourself, this may be my chance! I'm gonna jump on this and let it play out. Regardless of what you may think of Baylor, it's a good school and Waco has grown up a lot. I'm totally competitive with Baylor in sports, but not the school.
If Gary is now selecting schools to back door his way into replacing the head coach that is hiring him, that is such a small and petty line of thinking if you ask me.

and I’ll push back on your glow up of Baylor there at the end of your post. That same “fine” institution has known about and actively covered up so many atrocities over the years that there is no way in hell I’d ever call them a fine university.

Latest posts