• The KillerFrogs

BAYLOR THREAD - Now Texas has a good college football stadium

Stiff Arm Frog

The one built with cement Lincoln Logs? Sorry, that is not a good looking stadium.

Size has nothing to do with how nice a stadium is.

It's the best stadium in Texas (Royal Memorial is awful, no character all). Say what you want about the Aggies, that is an awesome place to watch a football game.

Deep Purple

Agreed..good point about stadium cost, as their brand new stadium will cost $86 million more than our renovations. That's a lot of cash to raise...we would've needed to sell a few more founder's suites for sure.

Not to take away anything from the Carter...if you consider the renovations we have done previously, it would have cost way more than $164 million if it was built brand new. I still think ours will be better.

As pertains to ACS, "renovation" is a misleading word. We didn't renovate much of anything. We tore it down about 80% of the structure right down to ground level and rebuilt it.

Frog-in-law1995

Got a nice view of DKR out my hotel room window this morning. Gotta say, it looks a lot nicer than I remember (of course, the last time I was there was for the Hell Freezes Over tour.

Froglaw

Yeah we raised 187 million, I sure it would have taken longer to get to 250 but we wouldnt have changed the plan.

New ACS > Kyle Field I think

UT still wins

How does ut win anything?

It is the Cotton Bowl with some nicer restrooms.

Have you actually been in that stadium?

Large, state school, stadium with little ambiance.

The difference between The Ballpark in Arlington and (latest) old Yankee stadium is a fair comparison.

ut is functional for the crowds it has to host for games.

Is it more of a photographically, fan friendly, stadium? No.

SMU's Ford Stadium has more for the fan than ut's Intergallactic Monolith to football mediocrity.

Sorry, I ain't buying.

I took the bus from a very remote parking area, walked 2 miles, enjoyed a sun drenched stadium, sat with my purple clad friends peppered with rude ut longhorn fans, and I was reminded of a high school stadium.

The tailgating at ut was remote, the ability to get to the stadium restricted, and the amount of people crammed into the venue was sardine like in design.

Just the ability to walk underneath the stands and appreciate the architecture is refreshing.

I'm looking forward to setting up my tailgate in Lot 4 on September 8th.

Go Frogs.

cdsfrog

The difference between The Ballpark in Arlington and (latest) old Yankee stadium is a fair comparison.

SMU's Ford Stadium has more for the fan than ut's Intergallactic Monolith to football mediocrity.

Sorry, I ain't buying.

I took the bus from a very remote parking area, walked 2 miles, enjoyed a sun drenched stadium, sat with my purple clad friends peppered with rude ut longhorn fans, and I was reminded of a high school stadium.

The tailgating at ut was remote, the ability to get to the stadium restricted, and the amount of people crammed into the venue was sardine like in design.

Just the ability to walk underneath the stands and appreciate the architecture is refreshing.

Go Frogs.

Come on be realistic

$8 million Godzillatron
Great club section
tons of nice suites
Expensive nice facade on newer north endzone side
Centennial Room
twice the size
Great video/lighting systems
over 200 million in true renovations (not rebuilds) since 02
Great locker-room
Awesome players lounge
football academic center

I love the new ACS and for us it may be the best stadium. But if you expect outside fans to truly rank our stadium above it, you are delusional

Stiff Arm Frog

Yeah, I'm with Froglaw on this one. The interior of that Stadium is reminiscent of the old Texas Stadium, or the old ACS. Just a bunch of corroded concrete, and too small for the crowds that occupy it. I'm also not a fan of the game watching experience. The sight lines are all right, but the seats are uncomfortable and too close to one another. I'm assuming the suites are nice, I've never seen them.

They also have a ticket problem, they reserve so few for students that they actually have a lottery to see which games students can go to. With so few college students at the game and do many t-shirt fans, it feels like your watching NFL instead of college football.

Mike Brooks

Agreed..good point about stadium cost, as their brand new stadium will cost $86 million more than our renovations. That's a lot of cash to raise...we would've needed to sell a few more founder's suites for sure.

Not to take away anything from the Carter...if you consider the renovations we have done previously, it would have cost way more than $164 million if it was built brand new. I still think ours will be better.
If we had built brand new IN A FLOOD PLANE we would have needed to raise more just like them but we would have succeeded.

XIIFrog

If we had built brand new IN A FLOOD PLANE we would have needed to raise more just like them but we would have succeeded.

Fair enough. I'm not saying that I doubt we could do it, I just thing that it's critical for Baylor to build theirs as quickly as possible while they're experiencing success. If they waited to raise the money privately and experienced a couple losing seasons, that thing would have never gotten built.

For us though, you're right--I think we would have succeeded. In fact, the original plan was to spread the process out but since we raised the money as quickly as we did, we were able to do it all at once.

HToady

Sorry, I ain't buying.

Go Frogs.

Didn't you know. Larges crowds are what constitues a positive gameday experience.

I'll take our 40K over the smell of dead bugs, trash and vomit...anyday!

And how about that 5 story garage tailgating experience! Wow!

WIN

I drive by our "new stadium" every day. It feels like the old one, in the same place and like the same stadium I have loved for over 50 years, and it is on the same ground Sammy Baugh played on, priceless. Sorry been hitting the sauce!