• The KillerFrogs

B12/ACC Collective?

fanatical frog

This plays right into their hands. They will play an 8 game conference schedule and feast on G5 OOC games. Will boast better records. We'll play 9 conference games and 3 P4 OOC games. Very quickly become second class leagues. Probably are already.

I agree. But it won't matter. IMHO, a set of blue bloods are going to split off from NCAA and recruit the teams they want to join with them and have their own league. If the collective refuses to play them in the meantime they'll be forced to find enough Steven F Austins and Sam Houston States to fill out their schedule and their tv ratings will suffer.

HG73

I agree. But it won't matter. IMHO, a set of blue bloods are going to split off from NCAA and recruit the teams they want to join with them and have their own league. If the collective refuses to play them in the meantime they'll be forced to find enough Steven F Austins and Sam Houston States to fill out their schedule and their tv ratings will suffer.
I wouldn't mind a scheduling arrangement where we only play ACC teams OOC as long as they do the same. I'm tired of bodybag G5 games, let the B1GSEC play MAC & AAC games for a cash payment.

Oh they can just play each other but the records will look like this across the teams in that scenario:

If they can only play each other teams will have multiple loses a lot will be .500 or worse. It will starve them of wins and credibility. How can a 6 and 6 ou or Texas be ranked?

Wexahu

If they can only play each other teams will have multiple loses a lot will be .500 or worse. It will starve them of wins and credibility. How can a 6 and 6 ou or Texas be ranked?
It's not going to starve them of credibility. The new standard isn't going to be undefeated or one loss anymore, 2-3 losses is going to be good enough to make the playoffs for SEC teams, and 2 losses will be good enough for Big 10 teams. A 6-6 OU or Texas isn't going to ranked, but they aren't going to go 6-6 very often. I suspect Texas fares better in the SEC than OU, but that's just a guess.

The teams starving for credibility are going to be those in other leagues that are going to be playing what are perceived as vastly inferior schedules. You might as well get ready for it because starting next year you're not going to like the coverage of the Big 12 by the media relative to SEC/Big 10 coverage. It's going to be a very clear Big 2 and then everyone else.

froginaustin

It's not going to starve them of credibility. The new standard isn't going to be undefeated or one loss anymore, 2-3 losses is going to be good enough to make the playoffs for SEC teams, and 2 losses will be good enough for Big 10 teams. A 6-6 OU or Texas isn't going to ranked, but they aren't going to go 6-6 very often. I suspect Texas fares better in the SEC than OU, but that's just a guess.

The teams starving for credibility are going to be those in other leagues that are going to be playing what are perceived as vastly inferior schedules. You might as well get ready for it because starting next year you're not going to like the coverage of the Big 12 by the media relative to SEC/Big 10 coverage. It's going to be a very clear Big 2 and then everyone else.

Sad but true. Even before OUT left the B12, Austin media was about as likely to mention the non-OUT B12 schools (unless they were playing UTx or A'nM, or were playing in a nationally prominent post-season game) as they were Emporia State.

Maybe Baylor will gin up another scandal. They'll talk about that sort of thing.

tmcats

my view is that three 20-team super conferences will form as the acc soon folds with pitt, nc state, louisville, v'tech and perhaps even clemson or miami moving to the b12. we then have the b10, b12 and sec made up of sixty or so schools. they break from the ncaa like the cfp has done and form their own governing organization with a commissioner.

this new league's foundation includes contracts with student-athletes, revenue sharing, and salary caps. ultimately, this will bring some parity to the field of play. texas going to the sec will be a significant catalyst as they start buying championships previously held by alabama, florida, and uga.

college sports are a $16 billion industry presently. for comparison that's the size of kellogg's, lg, rolls royce, and air canada. rationalization is bound to happen.

Last edited:
If SEC and Big 10 teams get a 100 million a year and we get 30 that dog won’t hunt. We are better off joining with the G5 and not playing the SEC and Big 10 ever. We can have our own polls bowls and real playoff where all conferences and teams get a chance to participate. Heck we could redo the alignments so all other sports but football can be close for travel. The men’s basketball would be a monster league and make a ton of money too.

tmcats

@tmcats - I don’t think parity with a Big12/ACC merger or whatever is left is what the SEC and BiG have in mind. They want to be The Power 2.
bloviation by fan kingdoms is different than what the body politic finds acceptable. time will tell, but i can't see schools like arizona, asu, utah and byu being left to wither away to say nothing for tradition rich establishments like tcu, oSu, and ku.