• The KillerFrogs

B12/ACC Collective?

FSU also was hanging on to beat a bad BC team 31-29 and needed Clemson to miss a 29 yard field goal with 1:45 left in regulation to get the game to OT. They also didn't look like NC contenders against Miami either. Did they get screwed? Probably. But they had their share of fortunate bounces along the way just like everyone else.

At least BC, Miami and Clemson are all bowl teams. TCU and UH were bowel teams Texas should have lost to save for coaching and officiating incompetence

Seriously. It's a shame the Pac-12 died for multiple reasons, one of which is that it remaining viable would have virtually assured a third CFP auto-bid for the power conference schools outside of the Big Ten and SEC. If next year was this year, all seven CFP at-large bids would've gone to Big Ten/SEC schools.

If I have to watch Iowa lose to Alabama 42-0 in a CFP game I will lose my mind.
Note that all five 2-loss teams are ranked behind all the 1-loss teams but ahead of all the 3-loss teams and all six of these 3-loss teams are ranked ahead of all 4-loss teams.

So, being it is all about the 12 team playoff, this seems to disincentivize adding challenging non-conference games to your schedule. The number of losses is the most important ranking measure. LSU has three losses due to losing to non-conference FSU early and would have missed the 12-team playoff this year, but likely in without that loss.

Wexahu

Note that all five 2-loss teams are ranked behind all the 1-loss teams but ahead of all the 3-loss teams and all six of these 3-loss teams are ranked ahead of all 4-loss teams.

So, being it is all about the 12 team playoff, this seems to disincentivize adding challenging non-conference games to your schedule. The number of losses is the most important ranking measure. LSU has three losses due to losing to non-conference FSU early and would have missed the 12-team playoff this year, but likely in without that loss.
Texas would not be on the playoffs this year had they not scheduled Alabama. So there are those situations too.

My guess is that At-Large SEC teams will winning the majority of the 1st round playoff games in this new format. We'll see, I also think you're going to start seeing kids sit out the games unless they get paid, and the amounts are going to keep going up as agents get more and more involved.

Think, 24-48 hours before a game, an agent calls up someone who runs a "collective" and says, you know, I think Johnny is going to sit this one out unless you can come up with a couple million by the morning of gameday. Stuff like that.

Texas would not be on the playoffs this year had they not scheduled Alabama. So there are those situations too.
In a 12-team playoff, Texas would not have needed that Alabama win. The 6 highest ranked conference champions are automatically in. And it will be tough to get in as an at-large P4 if you have one more loss than the P4 team being compared to, so why risk a tough non-conference game.

Maybe, maybe a 2-loss Big-12 team with a win over Alabama gets in as an at-large over a 2-loss SEC team, but I doubt it, and would not risk it if making the playoff is the goal. The downside risk is greater than the longshot upside.

2 losses is better than 3 and 1 loss is better than 2. Number of losses are the most important variable to gettin an at-large spot.

Last edited:

HickoryFlameFrog

At the end of season FSU wasn't going to have Travis, therefore, not the same team
that beat LSU and Florida or any of the others. They looked weak in that last game.
Texas (scheiss them) looked strong in the Big12 championship game.

At the end of season FSU wasn't going to have Travis, therefore, not the same team
that beat LSU and Florida or any of the others. They looked weak in that last game.
Texas (scheiss them) looked strong in the Big12 championship game.

It was Oklahoma St. The same team that score 7 against South Alabama...at home. The same team that score 3 against UCF.

We need ACC and Big 12 plus all the G5 to have our own schedules and real championships just like The lower divisions do. Let the stupid SEC and Big 10 only play with each other. They will have a stupid conference champion the a winner of the two only conferences. Our group won’t give them any games or playoff teams. Sick of their BS money grabbing and team stealing jerks. I think our 32 team playoff would kill their two conference jerk off deal. Way more teams way more conferences way more national appeal.

We also need our own National polls etc. screw AP poll and all the rest. Our group has the number 1-25 top teams as well.

Wexahu

We need ACC and Big 12 plus all the G5 to have our own schedules and real championships just like The lower divisions do. Let the stupid SEC and Big 10 only play with each other. They will have a stupid conference champion the a winner of the two only conferences. Our group won’t give them any games or playoff teams. Sick of their BS money grabbing and team stealing jerks. I think our 32 team playoff would kill their two conference jerk off deal. Way more teams way more conferences way more national appeal.

We also need our own National polls etc. screw AP poll and all the rest. Our group has the number 1-25 top teams as well.
I think this is pretty much a terrible idea and I think you’d be surprised how little national appeal this would draw.

ShreveFrog

gong show no GIF by ABC Network

Sangria Wine

I don’t think there’s any way all these schools could be in a single conference. Nor do I suggest an attempt to formally break away from the SEC/B1G. But becoming a cartel with intentions that provide rebuttal to the SEC/B1G manipulation? Negotiation of media rights collectively among conferences? Non-Conference scheduling alliances to play one another’s teams for the majority of our non-conference games? Conference challenge weekends or tournament in non-football sports? Funding lobbyists to protect our collective interests? All those possibilities seems a no-brainer to me. There are no universities in the B12 or ACC that are wanted by the SEC/B1G or the teams would already have been invited over the last decade. There have been plenty of opportunities over the years but here we all are. Better to accept that and figure out a way to survive and thrive in the new model.

I think it'd be more fun to schedule some home-and-homes with SEC and BiGs and beat 'em. Back to the ol' chip-on-shoulder days. As of now, we only have a home game with Purdue scheduled in 2030 in terms of BiG and SEC.

Our future OOC schedule is pathetic.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I think it'd be more fun to schedule some home-and-homes with SEC and BiGs and beat 'em. Back to the ol' chip-on-shoulder days. As of now, we only have a home game with Purdue scheduled in 2030 in terms of BiG and SEC.
Going have to update that OOC sked with SMU, Utah and Arizona, Colorado and Arizona State on there.

fanatical frog

Agree with every bit of that.

HG73

This plays right into their hands. They will play an 8 game conference schedule and feast on G5 OOC games. Will boast better records. We'll play 9 conference games and 3 P4 OOC games. Very quickly become second class leagues. Probably are already.

This plays right into their hands. They will play an 8 game conference schedule and feast on G5 OOC games. Will boast better records. We'll play 9 conference games and 3 P4 OOC games. Very quickly become second class leagues. Probably are already.

We are second class to those two conferences. Continuing to play them gives them wins credibility etc. They give teams money, but if we don’t participate we win. Our champions and polls and all our money stays with us. Their two league champion is a paper tiger. Can we get the ACC, Big 12 and all G5’s to come together? I don’t know, but acting like all is well is not the answer in my opinion.