• The KillerFrogs

ATT U-Verse

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Brewing, do you pay a fee for that or how exactly does that work as I remember the idea of that was to provide free internet access….right?
What DD said. I am paying $120/mo. for pretty danged good bandwidth. Initial setup/gear was $500. It must be stressed that I live in a deeply rural area, with a tiny population density. My options for decent bandwidth and speed are extremely limited. Fiber is not an option.

I have full streaming capabilities, and all the bandwidth needed for secure comms. Our first evening with it, we watched a Starlink launch from Florida in 4K, and it was glorious!

Chongo94

What DD said. I am paying $120/mo. for pretty danged good bandwidth. Initial setup/gear was $500. It must be stressed that I live in a deeply rural area, with a tiny population density. My options for decent bandwidth and speed are extremely limited. Fiber is not an option.

I have full streaming capabilities, and all the bandwidth needed for secure comms. Our first evening with it, we watched a Starlink launch from Florida in 4K, and it was glorious!
Very cool! Thanks for detailing some more aspects, gracias.

Purp

Moved to YouTube Internet driven TV, but kept ATT Internet but had to boost it. $78 for TV and $85 for Internet. Never have a problem on the TV that sits right below my router, but I have an old house with plaster walls and sometimes the internet is weak is some rooms. No internet, no TV.
Get a mesh wifi system for your home and it should solve your internet problem. If you're getting adequate bandwidth to the router, but it can't reach your whole house the mesh wifi system (I use Eero) for a few hundred bucks will be a game changer for you.

That said, if you aren't on ATT fiber for internet you probably aren't getting near the bandwidth you need to stream TV. I switched long ago to Spectrum cable internet and increased my actual bandwidth by about 1,500% for a discount to what I was paying ATT. We moved to a new house outside of town in July and Spectrum wasn't available so we went with Verizon wireless internet service. It's about the same at Spectrum in cost, but slightly lower bandwidth. It's still 1,000% more bandwidth I used to get from ATT.

I'd still recommend a mesh wifi system even if you upgrade your internet bandwidth if you plan to stream in areas of your house far from the router.

Purp

I have the ATT 1000 internet too at I think $80? ATT wants $150 / mo for 2000 and $250 / mo for 5000. My plan is to stay at 1000 but get coverage maximized for my house and garage, then find a suitable streaming service and finally drop ATT TV.
See my previous comment. Mesh wifi in your house is what you need.

Purp

Very interesting, thanks. That thing is tiny…crazy how far things have come since the old massive dish days.
When we moved into the new crib in July the previous owner used Starlink. I tried to get Verizon 5G initially, but it wasn't available at my house (even though the neighbor 5 houses down had it and had just gotten a 2nd one the same day I tried) so we stuck with Starlink. The previous owner transferred his equipment to me at no cost b/c his new house already had Starlink gear so he didn't need to take it with him.

I had 2 problems with Starlink.

1) The cheapest residential plan wasn't available in my area so I had to upgrade to the $150 plan. I went ahead and did it because my only (quite literally nothing else exists for my neighborhood) alternative was U-Verse that delivered about 20mbps. Since that wouldn't be enough to stream and my son play video games at the same time I reluctantly paid the premium.

2) The bandwidth was not very good and was very inconsistent. We only lost a signal once in a few months that I recall, but we'd fluctuate between 120 mbps and inexplicably drop to 10mbps for sometimes 10-15 minutes at a time before it would bump up enough for our TV streams to unfreeze.

I got so impatient one day that I called Verizon about the 5G service again (even though I was already on the wait list) and was lucky to get an account and router sent to me. That's been a very good solution for us so far. I've had to reset the router a couple times already, but it consistently delivers 2-3 times the top bandwidth I got from Starlink at half of what I was paying and resetting the router is simple to do when needed.

Double D

Tier 1
YES! I picked up one of these in April and my WiFi is insanely fast now. I turned off the WiFi on the Verizon 5G Home Internet router and use this instead. Works great!!

Get a mesh wifi system for your home and it should solve your internet problem. If you're getting adequate bandwidth to the router, but it can't reach your whole house the mesh wifi system (I use Eero) for a few hundred bucks will be a game changer for you.

That said, if you aren't on ATT fiber for internet you probably aren't getting near the bandwidth you need to stream TV. I switched long ago to Spectrum cable internet and increased my actual bandwidth by about 1,500% for a discount to what I was paying ATT. We moved to a new house outside of town in July and Spectrum wasn't available so we went with Verizon wireless internet service. It's about the same at Spectrum in cost, but slightly lower bandwidth. It's still 1,000% more bandwidth I used to get from ATT.

I'd still recommend a mesh wifi system even if you upgrade your internet bandwidth if you plan to stream in areas of your house far from the router.

HG73

I'm in a fairly out of the way location (Heath) and have Optimum (formerly Charter) internet $138 and YouTube streaming $89. Works well and fast enough. Saw a utility worker spray painting the street and asked him what was up and he said we were getting fiber optic cable. AT&T I think. Will this be better? Cheaper?