• The KillerFrogs

Athlon Sports: Fans React To College Football's One-Hit Wonder After Another Disappointing Loss

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Fans React To College Football's One-Hit Wonder After Another Disappointing Loss​

Story by Zach McKinnell

Texas Tech (4-5, 3-3 Big-12) defeated TCU (4-5, 2-4 Big-12), 35-28, in a Thursday night Big-12 matchup in Lubbock.

The Horned Frogs have now lost four of their last five games, including back-to-back losses against Kansas State and Texas Tech. TCU falls to No. 11 in the Big-12 just one season after making the Big-12 Championship game under head coach Sonny Dykes.

The Horned Frogs will need to win two of their final three games to reach bowl eligibility. TCU still has to face No. 7 Texas and No. 9 Oklahoma, which puts any bowl hopes in doubt for the Horned Frogs.

Read the article at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...-after-another-disappointing-loss/ar-AA1jj3yA

Froggy Style

You are what you look like and what you say when things are not going well. Dykes' demeanor and tone is not good. Obviously we were all ecstatic and surprisingly shocked last season. I don't think he is taking enough ownership and responsibility for him and his staff.
If he knew football, he'd be all over Gillespie after the third jet sweep, or the third swing pass, or the third pass to a WR in-route where the DB is 15 yards off the WR. They never adjust, which tells me he's just a simple CEO relationship guy who got by on his knowledge of the outdated Air Raid.

If you don't know how/when to adjust, then you're 1/3 of the problem.

Last edited:
The Horned Frogs play their next two games at Amon Carter versus Texas and Baylor and can rescue their season by beating both.

I hope the fans keep their tickets and show up to support and help energize the team to a big upset over Texas in this final Horns/Frogs matchup. A significant number of TCU fans selling their Texas and Baylor tickets suggests TCU doesn’t deserve a Power 4 team.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

Dykes spent a lot of money and had high hopes for Gillespie and most coaches don't like to fire a coordinator that he brought in and lauded. But this may be one of those instances. The defense looks confused, like this is their first game under this system. A lot of position coaches are also probably to blame.

If Dykes doesn't "know football" then GP knows less than my granddaughter. Two in a row at ACS against GP. He had done well wherever he has gone, except for California.

Limey Frog

You don't accidentally go 13-2. Dykes can lead a successful program. He can also lead a failing one. In two years at TCU he's had one year of each. Now he needs to figure out which of those two we're going to be moving forward.

CountryFrog

You are what you look like and what you say when things are not going well. Dykes' demeanor and tone is not good. Obviously we were all ecstatic and surprisingly shocked last season. I don't think he is taking enough ownership and responsibility for him and his staff.
The best way to take ownership with the staff mistakes is to make changes in the offseason. He's not going to throw those guys under the bus in a post game press conference just to make the fans feel better. I've heard him say numerous times that he needs to do a better job and so does the staff and that's about all you're ever going to get out of any coach in the middle of the season.

CountryFrog

If he knew football, he'd be all over Gillespie after the third jet sweep, or the third swing past, or the third pass to a WR in route where the DB is 15 yards off the WR. They never adjust, which tells me he's just a simple CEO relationship guy who got buy on his knowledge of the outdated Air Raid.

If you don't know how/when to adjust, then you're 1/3 of the problem.
The Gillespie hire was clearly a mistake and probably the biggest one that Sonny has made since coming here. Hopefully that mistake will be corrected in the offseason. But at this point I don't know what you expect Sonny to do about it. He can't completely change what the defensive philosophy is in a bye week. Sure they can make little tweaks but the problems with this defense go beyond little tweaks.

Who the DC is next year is going to be one of the most important decisions of Sonny's career. The right hire could get this unit improved enough to where we're right back in the Big 12 title hunt next year. The wrong hire could sink another season and then Sonny is on the hot seat himself.

Limey Frog

Our offense covered up a lot of defensive problems last year. We won all the close games. This year with a struggle at QB, we are losing the close games. Defense is terrible as is our inconsistent QB play.
Last year we were statistically average or worse in every category on both sides of the ball except two: turnover margin and explosive plays. That was the formula, and it worked spectacularly. Without the players who made those things happen, what the 2023 Frogs were left with is just the mediocre or worse statistical performance in every other category.

Bizarro Frog

I think Sonny can coach and is a great guy. If our D was anywhere close to decent we don’t get destroyed by Georgia and are probably 7-2 right now at worst. Max won us a lot of games last year but he had a lot of help. We lost most all of those guys.

We have to get rid of the 3-3-5. Way too many important plays are given up even when we blitz. If the LB hits the wrong hole the RB just flies through the line. If you have 4 D Lineman you can occupy 4-5 of the O Lineman. Right now they have 2 free lineman blocking at the second level.

LVH

The Horned Frogs play their next two games at Amon Carter versus Texas and Baylor and can rescue their season by beating both.

I hope the fans keep their tickets and show up to support and help energize the team to a big upset over Texas in this final Horns/Frogs matchup. A significant number of TCU fans selling their Texas and Baylor tickets suggests TCU doesn’t deserve a Power 4 team.
rcLpkS6.png

Chongo94

Dykes spent a lot of money and had high hopes for Gillespie and most coaches don't like to fire a coordinator that he brought in and lauded. But this may be one of those instances. The defense looks confused, like this is their first game under this system. A lot of position coaches are also probably to blame.

If Dykes doesn't "know football" then GP knows less than my granddaughter. Two in a row at ACS against GP. He had done well wherever he has gone, except for California.
Saying he’s done well may be a stretch. He went 22-15 at Louisiana Tech and 30-18 at SMU. At Cal, he was 19-30. That’s alright but I wouldn’t couch that as well, personally.

Think he’s probably a really great guy who is an average coach but got the ad and search committee to fall in love with him at just the right moment for him.

Chongo94

No way this team is beating UT.

LVH

Saying he’s done well may be a stretch. He went 22-15 at Louisiana Tech and 30-18 at SMU. At Cal, he was 19-30. That’s alright but I wouldn’t couch that as well, personally.

Think he’s probably a really great guy who is an average coach but got the ad and search committee to fall in love with him at just the right moment for him.
His teams have always been the same, good offense and bad defense. That Louisiana Tech team put up 57 on the Johnny Manziel A&M team in 2012 but gave up 59 in the loss.

The problem is this year the offense is not very good so it can't bail out the even worse defense.

The WR group might be the most disappointing. We have no go-to receiver. No one who can stretch the field and catch a deep ball. When was the last time we completed a deep ball? It's weird because all we hear about every offseason is what a great group of WR recruits are coming in.

FroginBedford68

No way this team is beating UT.
+4....or Baylor or OU....4-8 for the season, which will equal GP's worst record (2013) in his second Big 12 season....
Not going to a bowl this year and I'm fearful recruiting will drop to an abysmal level and TCU will be looking at 2-4 years of mediocre/subpar seasons before becoming competitive in the Junior NFL Big 12 Conference....