• The KillerFrogs

Athlon Sports: College Football's Expansion Winners and Losers

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Athlon Sports: College Football's Expansion Winners and Losers

By Steven Lassan

After the last year's summer of expansion, July 1 represents a change across the college football landscape. Athlon takes a look at the winners, losers and the incomplete grades from last season's moves.

Winners

TCU – Even though it's a stretch in the geographical sense, the Big East made a good decision to add TCU. The Horned Frogs will struggle to compete in basketball, but could be one of the favorites for the Big East football title in 2012. Instead of competing for a spot as an at-large, the Horned Frogs know if they win the Big East, they are going to play in a BCS bowl. Easier access to the BCS, a remodeled stadium, plus the increased success on the field under Gary Patterson, should make TCU even more attractive to Texas recruits. TCU is a better fit for the Big 12, but since that conference appears to have no desire to expand, the Horned Frogs made a smart decision to head east. The Big East is also searching for a new television contract, which should help TCU's exposure and bottom line even more. ...

Rose Bowl

Interesting article, I'm not sure how big a winner Baylor is but it should be easier for them. UT, of course, got it's way but I don't know how good that is. The MWC is definitely a loser and I feel kind of bad for Boise.

Scarface

The Big 12 lost Nebraska to the Big Ten, they lost Colorado to the PAC 12, they lost their championship game, they now have the formation of the bigger 3 & little 7 and UT has gone Sarah Palin style rogue on them.

Also, they are now clearly the most vulnurable conference out there for a complete implosion.

How in the heck is that league considered to be a winner in this latest round of expansion?

Why does every media outlet out there feel it has to suck up to UT? Don't answer that!

This article isn't that bad, but in my opinion the clearest winners were the PAC 12, the Big East and the Big Ten in that order. TCU was a more important addition to the BE than Nebraska was to the Big Ten.

The biggest losers were the WAC, the MWC and third the Big 12.

Go Frogs!

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Baylor's a winner because if the Pac16 gambit had succeeded, Baylor was looking at losing its AQ conference slot....along with MILLIONS of dollars.

And the Big 12 is a winner because their sugar daddies (ie ESPN and Fox) ensured their continued existence. For the near term anyways. They're also a winner because simply because the Pac-10/12/16 was unsuccessful in killing them.

JugbandFrog

There will come a point when TCU's success will have to be dealt with by the powers in Texas. They keep Baylor and Tech in check every year by putting them in their places year in and out. Of course, you have the occasional blip, but for the most part, those teams are kept in check because they are in the same conference.

njustus7

There will come a point when TCU's success will have to be dealt with by the powers in Texas. They keep Baylor and Tech in check every year by putting them in their places year in and out. Of course, you have the occasional blip, but for the most part, those teams are kept in check because they are in the same conference.
THAT, is exactly why I'm glad we are in the BE. We're a solid option to UT and OU to get to the NCG, and recruits will look to us rather than A&M, Tech, Baylor, or other second tier B1-2

angelo's frog

Mark it down . . .we will play for a national championship before the Horns do. We will be in a NC game in the next 5-6 years. UT will struggle this year and probably the next. Meanwhile, we will keep doing work here and moving toward the top of the pyramid. The Ags, Bears and Raiders have about ZERO chance of accomplishing what the Frogs will accomplish in this decade.