• The KillerFrogs

Are TCU fans and students partially responsible for our struggling basketball program?

Goodnight

When a basketball recruit comes into Daniel Meyer Coliseum and sees that the attendance is in the 3 figure range, there is no recognizable formation of students in the building apart from the band and cheerleaders(and the students that are there are in very few numbers and scattered throughout the stands), and absolutely no energy during the games coming from the crowd, why would they want to play here?

I understand that many of you refuse to go to a basketball game until we improve, and that TCU basketball only deserves your dollar if they are going to be respectable performance wise, but the reason our program is struggling is because we don't have the talent. The only way to get better talent is to get better recruits. And recruits aren't going to want to play here if the fan support is as weak as it is.

I have been going to TCU the past 4 years, and have attended every basketball game those 4 years, and I would say that 99.99% of the students here could care less about men's basketball. I think if we are going to improve and get better players recruiting wise, that needs to change as well as alumni/non-student fan support as well. It's going to take a combined effort from the student, fans, AND team to get this program back on track.

Even major conference teams with bad basketball programs like DePaul, Rutgers, etc. still have decent fan support.

Frog_Fan71

It's a 50/50 proposition, but one that is only going to be resolved in the exact same fashion that the football program used. That model will help.

Big Frog II

Bad coaching hires and losing year in year out are the reasons for the struggling men's basketball program. There have been very few if any reasons for fans to pack Daniels Meyer the past nine years. I have been there, but quite frankly it has been like watching paint dry most every game.

To get fans back the team must continue to improve, the coaches need to recruit better players, and bottom line we need to win more games.

Fran and Gary took over a team that was 1-10, and won a bowl game the first year and didn't look back. Why is it taking so long to turn this program around?

halfwaytoheaven

More fan support certainly couldn't hurt. I usually don't go to basketball games just because I'm not really a hoops fan, but I went on Saturday; I figure rock bottom is the best place to get on board. At least I hope that was rock bottom.

As I mentioned in another thread, maybe some student leaders at TCU could try to get something going. Someone from SGA, the self-described Hyper Frogs, or others could get a small group to sit in the "student section" and make a bunch of noise behind the visitor bench. Send out an e-mail to the student body letting them know that their presence is required. Something, at least. Has anyone even tried?

Also, it's "couldn't care less" - if they could care less, then they must care somewhat.

NativeFrog

Not many students, not many alumni and not many general Fort Worth residents care about TCU basketball, or basketball in general. Never been much support for TCU basketball, even when they were winning. Never will be much support for TCU basketball, unless we have a big-draw coach and start winning big in the Big East.

geefrogs

I find "Delete thread, Ban user" or any reference to "stupid" responses rude and inappropriate...

crying_baby2.jpg

cool.gif

ifrog

Not many students, not many alumni and not many general Fort Worth residents care about TCU basketball, or basketball in general. Never been much support for TCU basketball, even when they were winning. Never will be much support for TCU basketball, unless we have a big-draw coach and start winning big in the Big East.

In 1999 or around there TCU had a good team and I recall watching a game against the Lobos that was sold out. Billy Tubbs basketball was fun to watch.

bscttyb

I will say it, I will start going when we start being competitive. Life is hectic, and the free time I do get I want to spend doing something fun. Watching bad basketball isn't one of them.

arlington

Goodnight excellent post and a fair questionI believe there are other problems that have little to do with the students. I mean if recruits come into an empty building, they dont care that its the STUDENT BODY that appears to have missed the game, they just know that NOBODY is there. Basketball, especially in the MWC, should not be THIS difficult to succeed in. College basketball is a coaches game, period! Hire a coach who may be questionable with game strategies yet has charisma and personality(see Steve Lavin or Calipari), play an exciting style of play and not only will you get good players but the fans will be excited to watch an uptempo, trapping, full court up and down type of team. There is enough basketball talent out there that cant go to the power programs yet can be developed and can win at TCU. Get a few of them, play an exciting style, have more reasonable prices and packages and now you have something!

Plus the tickets are just way too high for this team. To watch this team, you are going to have to get me at the womens prices

geefrogs

Sorry Gee. Didn't realize I needed to hold your hand and lead u to water as to what my post meant. Guess I shoulda included a "but..."

So rest assured, that was sarcasm. I found/find the OP ridiculous and retarded. Happy?

haha, im just messing around. i agree with your take though.

SnoopFrogs11

It's not students fault it just comes from so many losing years the team has experienced. "Hyper Frog" has come to TCU basketball games the past couple years trying to get the fans fired up. There has been promoting for certain games.

Sangria Wine

The team not being any good is the primary trouble. The question then becomes on of whether the coach should be held accountable for that or not. On one hand maybe he is making bad evaluations. On the other maybe some circumstances have occurred that make it prudent to give him more time.

I will say this...a kick butt coach can come in and turn a program in pretty short order to a level that will attract fans and then you can get the ball rolling in a good direction. Billy Tubbs did it. Fran did it. Schloss did it.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I am indifferent to TCU basketball anymore. I missed about 3 games in the Tubbs era and yet have only been to about 3 games since he left. I know I am part of the problem but I don't know how they get me back. I have been a baseball season ticketholder since Lupton was built and have made almost every football game since 1987. Not a bandwagon fan just apathetic to our basketball program and it actually used to be my primary interest. I think lots of people feel just like I do.

masterfrog

More fan support certainly couldn't hurt. I usually don't go to basketball games just because I'm not really a hoops fan, but I went on Saturday; I figure rock bottom is the best place to get on board. At least I hope that was rock bottom.
It has to be rock bottom. We just lost to a team that had lost 20 in a row in conference on the road. They also lost at home this year to a Division 3 non-scholarship basketball program.