• The KillerFrogs

AP: TCU takes fresh QB home to face Iowa State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU takes fresh QB home to face Iowa State

AP

Some things to watch during Week 6 in the Big 12, the first Saturday with a full slate of conference games:

GAME OF THE WEEK
TCU (3-1, 1-0 Big 12) at Iowa State (2-2, 0-1). A trendy preseason pick to make the Big 12 championship game, the Cyclones lost their league opener. They had a huge fourth-quarter comeback last week at Baylor, only to lose on a field goal in the closing seconds. But Iowa State will try to win its fifth consecutive conference home game, which would be a first in school history. TCU true freshman starting quarterback Max Duggan is from Council Bluffs, Iowa, and was the 2018 Iowa Gatorade player of the year. The Horned Frogs have averaged 503 total yards and 45 points a game in Duggan’s two starts, after he played most of their 34-13 win at Big Ten team Purdue. The last two meetings between the Cyclones and Frogs have been decided by a combined 10 points _ Iowa State won 14-7 at home two years ago; TCU had a 17-14 home win last year.

Read more at https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...es-fresh-qb-home-to-face-iowa-state/40237075/

Austintxfrog94

Curious if being back in his home state causes Duggan to come out too amped up and throwing high again. Hopefully with this being his 5th game he's more settled. We shall see.

Limp Lizard

Curious if being back in his home state causes Duggan to come out too amped up and throwing high again. Hopefully with this being his 5th game he's more settled. We shall see.
Yep, but I am sure GP and Cumbie have been talking to him about this. I will even admit, reluctantly, that in this case offensive play calling early in the game could be crucial.

Also, the abbreviation for Freshman is "Frosh", dammit! It is not like the Fresh Prince of BelAire!

Tumbleweed

Fair question. Amped up? Wouldn't you be? I'll bet he throws high on a couple of them but overall he's aware of it and more importantly, the game has slowed down a bit which also allows him to react correctly in muscle memory (or grey matter). However the over side of that coin, he can slow his reaction time so much, making sure he doesn't overthrow, that he hurts his offense. Andy was guilty of that and to some degree, still is. It's not all on the QB, (as most of you know) the WR has got to run the same route with their clock running too. Dam that is what makes football so great, its never one man but it's about The Team making a ... team

Dr. Coach Haus

one thing I've noticed with Duggan is he typically comes out not playing the greatest to start no matter whether he's starting or coming in behind Delton but always seems to settle down more in the second half

texas_sicilian

Well, weren’t most of us completely calm and error free when we led teams our freshman year against an opponent in our home state in front of 40,000+ spectators?

TemCatFrog71

Lot of talk about how Duggan throws high and such. My recollection of his first game and a half was that he was playing "pitch",but his receivers were NOT playing "catch" very well. Granted not great throws (several behind the receivers), but many were catchable imho. The last half of the smew game and all of the Kansas game the receivers were actually playing catch. It makes a diffenence. It will be interesting to see if they are playing" pitch AND catch" this weekend.

WhatTheFrog

I know we should be focused on his performance for TCU in this game.

Having said that, I wonder how he will be received by his home state. Will he be cheered harder because he is an Iowa product (there's not much else to cheer from that state), or will he be booed harder because he's viewed as a "traitor" for leaving the state? How could that possibly affect his mindset in this game (either way), if at all?

@CyFrog22, do people there still generally love him or resent him for leaving (if you have any insight into that)?

I know we should be focused on his performance for TCU in this game.

Having said that, I wonder how he will be received by his home state. Will he be cheered harder because he is an Iowa product (there's not much else to cheer from that state), or will he be booed harder because he's viewed as a "traitor" for leaving the state? How could that possibly affect his mindset in this game (either way), if at all?

@CyFrog22, do people there still generally love him or resent him for leaving (if you have any insight into that)?

I honestly don’t think many people know who he is, he really didn’t get much publicity prior to his commitment mainly because western Iowa doesn’t get covered as heavily as the Des Moines area and the eastern side. Really flew under the radar