• The KillerFrogs

AP: NCAA, leagues back $2.8 billion settlement, setting stage for current, former athletes to be paid

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

NCAA, leagues back $2.8 billion settlement, setting stage for current, former athletes to be paid​

Story by RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer

The NCAA and the nation's five biggest conferences announced Thursday night that they have agreed to pay nearly $2.8 billion to settle a host of antitrust claims, a monumental decision that sets the stage for a groundbreaking revenue-sharing model that could start steering millions of dollars directly to athletes as soon as the 2025 fall semester.

NCAA President Charlie Baker along with the commissioners of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern Conference released a joint statement saying they had agreed to settlement terms. They called the move “an important step in the continuing reform of college sports that will provide benefits to student-athletes and provide clarity in college athletics across all divisions for years to come.”

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...urrent-former-athletes-to-be-paid/ar-BB1mWGQ2

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
6bcfb46c-7236-4138-b694-86f5721a6a0e_text.gif

HG73

Does nobody realize that we watch college sports because of our connection with the SCHOOL and not the individual players who come and go annually?

Dogfrog

Does nobody realize that we watch college sports because of our connection with the SCHOOL and not the individual players who come and go annually?
My connection with the players was largely based on the fact they are students working toward a degree at my alma mater. LT and AD and hundreds of others will forever be tied to TCU. If players are perennial free agents with no school ties beyond a paycheck, why not make the upgrade to NFL fan? It’s become too cynical for my taste. This is all on the school chancellors / presidents, who stuck their heads in the sand years ago.

Frozen Frog

The winners in this mess are going to be the NFL for now, lawyers, and politicians/government. The losers are going to be the schools and students.

I think eventually the NFL becomes a loser in this mess. The salary cap and rookie slots are going to kill it. All it takes is a school like Gaggie to decide a player can’t leave for the NFL. Without a salary cap in college the money truck gets parked wherever the player wants it. Now teams that really want him in the first round can’t get him. Even worse the player can say I’m not going to this place, and stay in college thus eliminating the draft.

The government is going to make money on dollars previously not taxed that were given as donations that will be taxed as they become income. The politicians will beat their chest as they claim they fought for the little guy while the cost of post-secondary education skyrockets. Too bad money once used general budget school needs and financial aid for all students will now go to athletes.

Now for the really ugly part of this whole disaster. This will hit when these athletes are having to manage this money. Taxes will be assessed, and I think that tax burden will become unmanageable on the athletes.

I think much of this can be fixed, but it is going to take the NCAA and the pro sports leagues coming together to address it. I think you will see a model similar to what we have with hockey or baseball. I think also some of the drafts will go away. I also think the NFL owners may have to eliminate the hard salary cap.

froginmn

The winners in this mess are going to be the NFL for now, lawyers, and politicians/government. The losers are going to be the schools and students.

I think eventually the NFL becomes a loser in this mess. The salary cap and rookie slots are going to kill it. All it takes is a school like Gaggie to decide a player can’t leave for the NFL. Without a salary cap in college the money truck gets parked wherever the player wants it. Now teams that really want him in the first round can’t get him. Even worse the player can say I’m not going to this place, and stay in college thus eliminating the draft.

The government is going to make money on dollars previously not taxed that were given as donations that will be taxed as they become income. The politicians will beat their chest as they claim they fought for the little guy while the cost of post-secondary education skyrockets. Too bad money once used general budget school needs and financial aid for all students will now go to athletes.

Now for the really ugly part of this whole disaster. This will hit when these athletes are having to manage this money. Taxes will be assessed, and I think that tax burden will become unmanageable on the athletes.

I think much of this can be fixed, but it is going to take the NCAA and the pro sports leagues coming together to address it. I think you will see a model similar to what we have with hockey or baseball. I think also some of the drafts will go away. I also think the NFL owners may have to eliminate the hard salary cap.
I hadn't thought about this but another winner will be the current school record holders for rushing yards, passing yards, and other individual records. Tough to know how many kids will stay with their schools for an entire four years but guessing that the percentage will be small.

HG73

Eventually players will be signed to contracts. TV money will pay them. No more NIL. They will have some form of free agency since there will be plenty of players who want playing time and their coach will be willing to let them out of their contract so the coach can go buy another player.

The big problem is NIL. Donor money should go to academics and construction, not paying the football team. TV will pay for athletics including coaches exorbitant salaries. Revenue sports will pay players, non revenue sports will be glorified club teams. Revenue sports will be separate entities from the school with no academic requirements unless the athlete is willing to take them on. The First Baptist Bears vs. the Franklin BBQ Longhorns.

Free agency is not so bad. Players should be able to go where they can play within reason. Coach will release a player to transfer if he's not playing or providing needed depth. This will provide lots of interest in the off-season.

Yes this will suck. But we'll get used to it. Or just get used.