• The KillerFrogs

AP: Big 12 likely to take long view after playoff snub

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AP: Big 12 likely to take long view after playoff snub

By RALPH D. RUSSO
AP College Football Writer

GRAPEVINE, Texas — Before Big 12 fans demand the conference invite Boise State and Cincinnati and immediately implement a conference championship game, consider this: If Florida State had lost to Georgia Tech in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game on Saturday, Baylor would be in the playoff and not playing that tough 13th game would have worked out great.

Instead, Florida State held on for its seventh one-score victory of the season, Ohio State played it best game of the season it its Big Ten title game appearance, and Baylor and Big 12 co-champion TCU were left out of the first College Football Playoff.

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby talked Sunday about how the playoff selection committee's treatment of the Big 12's best would certainly lead to discussions within the conference about bringing back its title game, and maybe even rekindle some expansion talk. ...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/12/08/6347833/big-12-likely-to-take-long-view.html

FrankDMaynard

I think the Big XII just needs a better and more sophisticated tie breaker system.  Head to head is too simplistic and would have put the lesser of the two teams in this year.  It wouldn't be that hard to put together a statistical measuring stick encompassing plenty of quantifiable criteria to come up with a champion.  The thought of adding two schools of dubious quality to get to 12 just to play a championship game is a questionable endeavor. 

I do think something needs to be done though because I think if not, we could be in this same boat many years going forward.

Latest posts